Crystal palace vs liverpool - We have got to win!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Liverpool travel to Selhurst Park for the start of the Carling Cup campaign with a tricky third round tie at Crystal Palace.

Selhurst Park has not been a kind ground to Liverpool in the past and we lost 1-0 in the Premiership last season. Palace were relegated to the Championship and after an indifferent start when they lost their first two games of the season to Luton Town and Wolves they are now fifth in the table.

The Eagles lost winger Wayne Routledge to Tottenham during the summer but they managed to keep hold of their star asset in striker Andy Johnson who committed his future to the club. Johnson is currently sidelined with a knee problem so the Eagles main goal threat will come from Republic of Ireland international Clinton Morrison.

As far as Liverpool are concerned in recent times when we have drawn Palace in this competition we have gone on to win it. In 1994-95 the Reds won 1-0 both home and away and went on to beat Bolton in the final at Wembley. In 2000-2001 Liverpool overcame a 2-1 defeat at Selhurst Park to win 5-0 at Anfield, and also win the cup beating Birmingham City on penalties.

So far in the Carling Cup Palace have beaten Walsall 3-0 and Coventry City 1-0 to earn the right to host Liverpool. Palace beat Burnley 2-0 in the Championship on Saturday.

------------------------------------------------------------
TEAM NEWS-

Steven Gerrard may return for Liverpool after injuring his shin playing for England against Austria.
Reserve team captain David Raven may start at right-back and Darren Potter and Zak Whitbread are set to play with Jamie Carragher expected to be rested.

Crystal Palace are without striker Jon Macken (hamstring), while defender Danny Butterfield (groin) and Winger Jobi McAnuff (ankle) are doubtful.

Macken's absence means Dougie Freedman should play alongside Clinton Morrison.

I feel Liverpool need to put in a real good and convincing performance tonight. I personally would not settle for a "scrapy" win.
Also, having saying that, i hope the youngsters get a run in the team as well.  But not at the expense of losing the game.

I'm going for a 2-0 win for Liverpool (convincing or not!)

C'mon you redmen!

:buttrock
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion