Champions League Push

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Apparently no team has failed to make the CL having won at least twenty one matches bar one (Spurs last year) so I figure we need eight wins more (probably seven) to make sure we make the Champions League for next year and here are our upcoming fixtures:

February 2014
Sunday 2nd February 2014
West Brom vs Liverpool

Saturday 8th February 2014
Liverpool vs Arsenal

Wednesday 12th February 2014
Fulham vs Liverpool

Sunday 23rd February 2014
Liverpool vs Swansea

March 2014
Saturday 1st March 2014
Southampton vs Liverpool

Monday 10th March 2014
Liverpool vs Sunderland

Sunday 16th March 2014
Man Utd vs Liverpool

Saturday 22nd March 2014
Cardiff vs Liverpool

Sunday 30th March 2014
Liverpool vs Tottenham

April 2014
Saturday 5th April 2014
  West Ham vs Liverpool

Saturday 12th April 2014
Liverpool vs Man City

Saturday 19th April 2014
  Norwich vs Liverpool

Saturday 26th April 2014
Liverpool vs Chelsea

May 2014
Saturday 3rd May 2014
C Palace vs Liverpool

Sunday 11th May 2014
Liverpool vs Newcastle

I know a lot could happen from now until the end of the season but if all things stay constant and we continue to play as we are we could have ten wins out of those matches, potentially dropping points against Arsenal, Southampton, Utd, City and Chelsea. Important point to note is that after we play Spurs they have easier matches where we still have to play City and Chelsea. We must have a good cushion on them after we play them. It will be interesting to see how Utd do as they could be the dark horse but Mata or no Mata, they don't seem to have the refs anymore   :eyebrow and frankly they are not very good.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am

Including the Everton game just gone apart from UTD away every game is a must win.

If we are to put a distance between ourselves and the other challengers to fourth and also put pressure on Chelsea (4 points above) Arsenal (6 points) Citeh (7 points)
then we need to go on a run of wins.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 pm

utd away isn't a game I'd be afraid of. Moyes doesn't know how to beat us. just cos they got Mata doesn't mean they're now good again.

southampton away is tricky as is City at home.
apart from that - hold on tight. we're on a roll
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Yeah I be more worried about us coming unstuck away to West Brom or Saints then at OT

Despite all lack of perceived talent and depth in our squad we are in with a great chance of getting CL footy and really at the moment our destiny is in our hands
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm

We get 3 points from westbrom... then lets talk about a run, no major foul ups in defense, no melding with formations, no crazy keeper blunders a win nothing less. 2 wins in a row would restore belief that we will go on a run.

I'm trying to hold back my expectations until I see the finish line in sight but pundits in the media are starting to call us favorites for top 4. It's been a while since I have heard that!
killerp

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:25 pm

killerp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 pm wrote:We get 3 points from westbrom... then lets talk about a run, no major foul ups in defense, no melding with formations, no crazy keeper blunders a win nothing less. 2 wins in a row would restore belief that we will go on a run.

I'm trying to hold back my expectations until I see the finish line in sight but pundits in the media are starting to call us favorites for top 4. It's been a while since I have heard that!

Its such a crazy season to be fair.  One minute Spurs got level on points with us and Everton had a chance to go ahead.  At that point it felt like everything might fall apart for us.  A week or so later Im looking at the table thinking if we beat West Brom it gives us the chance to go into the Arsenal game at Anfield knowing that a win for us could drag Arsenal back into the top 4 race.  Chelsea and City to play each other as well.

One thing is certain though, its exciting to be competing again.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm

If we win ten matches out of the remaining fifteen and lost the other five we will have 76 points which will be enough for CL football. We will probably lose more matches so we should expect it and not get suicidal when it happens, we just need to beat those teams we should beat. I'd say it is ours to lose.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:08 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 pm wrote:utd away isn't a game I'd be afraid of. Moyes doesn't know how to beat us. just cos they got Mata doesn't mean they're now good again.

Going to United isn't going to be easy. Rooney, van Persie and Mata as a forward line is easily as good if not better than ours player for player.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm not a big fan of long term predictions, but looking at how many points it took other teams in the past years to achieve top 4 finish, I think that we're allowed to lose in 3 more games and draw in 4 out of 15 games remaining (of course there can be other combinations like lose 4 draw 1 etc), so we shouldn't be slitting our wrists at every lost or drawn game. That is the maximum points we can lose though. If that ends up to be the case then we'll have 74 points, which should be enough. With the likes of United and Tottenham also battling for the 4th spot though, we shouldn't leave things to chance and win as much points as possible.

But for now, let's just concentrate on our next game. WBA will be very tricky to beat.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am

jacdaniel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:25 pm wrote:

Its such a crazy season to be fair.  One minute Spurs got level on points with us and Everton had a chance to go ahead.  At that point it felt like everything might fall apart for us.  A week or so later Im looking at the table thinking if we beat West Brom it gives us the chance to go into the Arsenal game at Anfield knowing that a win for us could drag Arsenal back into the top 4 race.  Chelsea and City to play each other as well.

One thing is certain though, its exciting to be competing again.

I have not been this excited since we finished second with Benitez's team.
killerp

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:08 pm wrote:
leeroy74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 pm wrote:utd away isn't a game I'd be afraid of. Moyes doesn't know how to beat us. just cos they got Mata doesn't mean they're now good again.

Going to United isn't going to be easy. Rooney, van Persie and Mata as a forward line is easily as good if not better than ours player for player.

Another pearler there mate!  :laugh:

Really? you think that? then thats your opinion of course. fair play to ya.

I personally think Sturridge is better than Rooney, Suarez p!sses all over van persie and maybe Mata is better than courtinho, different types of players though.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:52 pm

leeroy74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:21 pm wrote:

I personally think Sturridge is better than Rooney, Suarez p!sses all over van persie and maybe Mata is better than courtinho, different types of players though.

I can see the argument but what matters is current form and for the run in, if I had the choice, I'd rather have ours than theirs. Don't know what the rest of you think?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm

leeroy74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:

Seriously? Sturridge is better than Rooney? :laugh: behave yourself!!!

What a whopper of a comment that is!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 pm wrote:
leeroy74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm[/urlquote="[url=http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1228233#p1228233]leeroy74 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 pm wrote:utd away isn't a game I'd be afraid of. Moyes doesn't know how to beat us. just cos they got Mata doesn't mean they're now good again.

I personally think Sturridge is better than Rooney, Suarez p!sses all over van persie and maybe Mata is better than courtinho, different types of players though.[/quote]

Seriously? Sturridge is better than Rooney? :laugh: behave yourself!!!

What a whopper of a comment that is![/quote]

Nobody is better at granny sh***in than Rooney
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Rooney league goals = 9
Sturridge league goals = 13

go figure
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion