Champions league - Who would you like next?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:36 am

I know there are still a few groups to be finalised, but most of the big names are through and their places fixed.

1/     Chelsea        Bayern      Liverpool        Valencia
2/     Barcelona     Inter         PSV               Roma

1/     Lyon           Celtic        Porto             Milan
2/     Real Madrid  ManU        Cska              AEK

Those are the most likely qualifiers and their final positions.Arsenal may upset my calculations but hopefully not. So who would you like in the next round, Barcelona or Real Madrid would really get the juices flowing, or perhaps one of the so called easier teams AEK or CSKA?

I would fancy our chances against Roma, who arn't as strong as in the past, but still have a big name and would bring back some good memories. So thats who I would like us to get.

Hopefully the Mancs will get Milan and Chelsea will get Inter, and then we can have an England V Italy  flavour to the next round.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:51 am

AEK would be Manhattan's choice.

But "Liverpool vs Real Madrid" would be amazing.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:29 am

They all have to be beaten in the end so it makes no difference to me. Preferrably save a nice juicy fish for the final though to humiliate infront of a global audience  :)

if you demand that i choose one from the next phase, i will say that, it might be better for Liverpool that they do draw the likes of an Inter or Barcelona...if for nothing else other than a bit of morale boosting momentum to get up a good head of steam. It'll be end of Feb, early March by then. So allowing our lads the prospect for some cheer throughout the drab winter.. Who knows, we might well be in the middle of another 12 game uneaten run by then and confidence might be sky-high, whoever it is .....Personally i would put money on anyone having sleepless nights at the prospect of drawing Liverpool (despite present indifferences). I feel Rafa favourably courts this competition and knows exactly how to flex his muscles in it. Also one or two faces will be back and incorporated into the mix again...so, never say never. But dont worry too much about playing a 'big' side next..it'll give the fans an equally much needed shot-in-the-arm too id expect.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby mattylfc » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:33 am

Would obviously be nice to get AEK or Roma but i have a feeling we might get Real Madrid.  I hope we do to be honest, fancy our chances.
mattylfc

Postby tubby » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:54 am

Id like Madrid. I think we could really excel in a match like that and it would psycologically do us some good to get a big team out of the way this early. They are not invinsible by any means.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:37 am

When is draw btw?
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:02 am

Alonso14 wrote:When is draw btw?

id imagine Friday 8th Dec onwards.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:30 am

I usually think i would rather avoid the big teams until the later stages and let them knock one another out, hoping that we get the so-called easier clubs in the 2nd round...but after last season i am not so sure. We seem to underestimate teams that we are expected to beat and raise our game when we are the underdogs, so this season i think i would be happier playing someone like Real Madrid.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:33 am

to be honest i think its best we play the bigger team

it will stop us being complacent like last year (against a poor benfica side)

the bigger the team the more we will up our game

so i hope its real madrid, and then keep the big teams coming
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby crouchaldinho » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:40 am

im in agreement with red37 on this one. I reckon if we were to draw one of the 'bigger' teams left in the competition, we'd be up for it more. I mean, looked what happened against Benfica last season - they were touted as the worst team left in the competition and everyone thought we would beat them at a canter. Unfortunately, Benfica had other plans.

In 2005 though, the Leverkusen draw was considered a yough draw (even though the previous summer they sold their 2 best players to Bayern), and we were considered underdogs, as we were throughout the remainder of the competition - including the final.

So basically, what im trying to get at is that we seem to excel in games where we are considered underdogs (in cup competitions anyway). So bring on Real, or Barca, Inter, whoever. But ill be more worried if we get one of the 'easier' ties like AEK.
crouchaldinho

Postby crouchaldinho » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:43 am

ok, i know it looks like iv just elaborated on what hobo said, but that post wasnt there when i was writing mine, im no plagiarist, honest ???
crouchaldinho

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:09 pm

crouchaldinho wrote:ok, i know it looks like iv just elaborated on what hobo said, but that post wasnt there when i was writing mine, im no plagiarist, honest ???

Didnt he elaborate on what i said  ???

:D
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
crouchaldinho wrote:ok, i know it looks like iv just elaborated on what hobo said, but that post wasnt there when i was writing mine, im no plagiarist, honest ???

Didnt he elaborate on what i said  ???

:D

i think we all have the same opinion on this  :cool:

obviously we havent read what others have writtern  :laugh:
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:26 pm

To win you have to beat quality teams.  If we had a big team say Real Madrid and beat them we would send out a message to the next opponents letting them fear us, or if we had an easier draw we would be approached with less fear and they might do us. 

Whatever it is we have to beat some quality teams and theres no escaping that fact.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:40 pm

taff wrote:To win you have to beat quality teams.  If we had a big team say Real Madrid and beat them we would send out a message to the next opponents letting them fear us, or if we had an easier draw we would be approached with less fear and they might do us. 

Whatever it is we have to beat some quality teams and theres no escaping that fact.

Well said taff, lets beat a big team send out a message and get into the next round. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion