Can we finish 4th - Everton and bolton

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:07 pm

I thought that UEFA had recently changed the way teams qualify. It was my belief that even if we won the champions legue we do not qualify for it next year. I thought that England was given 4 champions league spot's and can give them however they see fit. I read somewhere that if Liverpool won the champions league the FA would award them qualification no matter where they finish in the Premiership. So it might be that we qualify at the expense of the 4th placed team :laugh:
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:02 pm

Probably never happened since the inception of the CL whereby the champion finishes below a normal CL eligibility spot in their own domestic league but the logic is that the champion gets the chance to defend its title the following season.

Perhaps you are confused with the Eruo nations championship where the winner does not get an automatic place, just the host nation.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:13 pm

it happened to Real Madrid azriah. they finsihed 5th behing zaragoza but won the CL so were allowed to defend their title.

It is the decison of the FA, as to who goes through if this were to happen. The rule is the top 4 in the league qualify for the competiton, but if the FA decides that due to a team winning the competion that finishes outside the top 4, then that team can be entered by the Fa instead of the 4th palced team.

if this were to occur, hopefully it would be Bolton who finsih 4th as it would make the decision for the FA a lot easier than were it Everton and Liverpool.

I also think UEFA may have a bit of a say in the matters pointing out to the FA that for the prestige of the CL, that the defending champions should be involved in the competition.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:14 pm

I'll be devastated if we don't get 4th. A good cup run is nice but the league shows your progress. For Everton and Bolton to have been better this season is shocking. A very poor season (losing double digit games in league - closer to bottom than top etc).

I think we desperately need the CL money.UEFA cup is a crock of sh!te and yeah I said that in 2001 too.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:25 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'll be devastated if we don't get 4th. A good cup run is nice but the league shows your progress. For Everton and Bolton to have been better this season is shocking. A very poor season (losing double digit games in league - closer to bottom than top etc).

I think we desperately need the CL money.UEFA cup is a crock of sh!te and yeah I said that in 2001 too.

Although i agree the UEFA Cup is of poor standard compqred to the CL, I bet you weren't sitting their saying  "who cares, the UEFA cup is a crock of ****** anyway" when we won it in 2001.

As a fan, nothing tops Liverpool winning trophies.   :)

the UEFA cup is still a difficult competitition to win, and although it would be very disappointing if we're in it next season, I would love for us to win it again.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Everton

EVERTON - Manchester U.  (lose)
EVERTON - Birmingham  (win)
Fulham - EVERTON  (draw)
EVERTON - Newcastle (win)
Arsenal - EVERTON (lose)
Bolton - EVERTON (lose)

= 61 points

Bolton

BOLTON - Southampton (win)
Aston Villa - BOLTON (draw)
BOLTON - Chelsea (draw)
Portsmouth - BOLTON (draw/win)
BOLTON - Everton  (win)

=61/63 points

Liverpool

Portsmouth - LIVERPOOL (win)
Crystal Palace - LIVERPOOL (win)
LIVERPOOL - Middlesbrough (win)
Arsenal - LIVERPOOL (lose)
LIVERPOOL - Aston Villa  (win)

= 63 points

It is still possible......
We must pick up 12 points or more from the last 5 games.

Everton will lose at home to Man U and away to Arsenal.
Bolton could be our fiercest opponent in the fight for 4th.
Everything may be decided on the final day of the season. We could beat Bolton on goal difference.

First we have to beat Portsmouth and Palace away. If we don't beat them we do not deserve 4th anyway.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:51 pm

Pompey are very tough at home, although recently have been in poor form. Our record is very ordinary at Fratton Aprk as well. The game on Wednesday could be a very definitive game in our race for 4th.

This is how i see it panning out.

Everton

Fulham - EVERTON  (win)
EVERTON - Newcastle (draw)
Arsenal - EVERTON (lose)
Bolton - EVERTON (lose)

= 61 points

Bolton

BOLTON - Chelsea (loss)
Portsmouth - BOLTON (draw)
BOLTON - Everton  (win)

=60 points

Liverpool

Portsmouth - LIVERPOOL (draw)
Arsenal - LIVERPOOL (draw)

= 62 points

It is all going to come down to the Bolton/Everton and Liverpool/Villa fixtures on the last day of the season. IMO we will require a win and Bolton to draw or beat Everton.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:57 pm

yep, its down to the last game and all three of us will be seperated by one point or goal difference. i don't see us coming away from every game with at least a point though, arsenal will beat us and i have worries about going to portsmouth too. they seem to have a habit of humbling sides there. my view is that realistically we're needing the other two teams to mess up...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:06 pm

I think we will be up for Pompey, at least a point IMO. However If the weather is ****** I can see a dour 1-0 to Pompey though. :(

the other game i think we will win except Arsenal, which is a flip of a coin; play like we did at Anfield we could win, but they could equally beat us with the quality they have. 

Gonna be intereting , but hopefully we win the CL, we won't have to worry (depending on the decison the FA makes, but the precedent set by the Spanish FA letting Madrid in, would probably weigh through in the end. The decision would be a lot easier if Bolton finished 4th rather than Everton) .
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:09 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Pompey are very tough at home, although recently have been in poor form. Our record is very ordinary at Fratton Aprk as well. The game on Wednesday could be a very definitive game in our race for 4th.

This is how i see it panning out.

Everton

Fulham - EVERTON  (win)
EVERTON - Newcastle (draw)
Arsenal - EVERTON (lose)
Bolton - EVERTON (lose)

= 61 points

Bolton

BOLTON - Chelsea (loss)
Portsmouth - BOLTON (draw)
BOLTON - Everton  (win)

=60 points

Liverpool

Portsmouth - LIVERPOOL (draw)
Arsenal - LIVERPOOL (draw)

= 62 points

It is all going to come down to the Bolton/Everton and Liverpool/Villa fixtures on the last day of the season. IMO we will require a win and Bolton to draw or beat Everton.

Newcastle is not a team anymore. Souness has destroyed them . Just like he did with us 10 years back. I can't see how they are going to get a draw at Goodison.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:13 pm

Football is a funny old game mate, thats 4 games away as well. A lot can happen in 3-4 weeks - Dyer and Bowyer will be back I think, so IF they are up for it then they can get at least a point, if not 3.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:18 pm

Everton

Fulham - EVERTON  (win)
EVERTON - Newcastle (win)
Arsenal - EVERTON (lose)
Bolton - EVERTON (lose)

= 63 points  - Everton lose their bottle

Bolton

BOLTON - Chelsea (draw)
Portsmouth - BOLTON (win)
BOLTON - Everton  (win)

=63 points - Big Sam gets Manager of the Season

Liverpool

Portsmouth - LIVERPOOL (win)
Arsenal - LIVERPOOL (lose)

= 63 points - Playing in the CL against Chelski before the Borough and the Arsewipes games will be decisive but we get 4th spot on GD.

It doesn't matter because we end up winning the CL in which case Big Sam loses out to Rafa for the Manager of the Year

:)
PhiLFC

Postby RifleRusher » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:22 pm

Even if we dont get 4th, we still did pretty well, the fact that we're in CL semi finals... plus, if we end up 5th, UEFA cup next season, we could win it first, then go back to CL the following year and win that as well.... or we could just win the CL, and surprise everyone.... EPL 6th Liverpool wins Champions League...:p :p :p
RifleRusher

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:50 pm

I think it would be a disaster if we're not in the CL next season. Its the only way we can stay with the other top clubs in this country.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:57 pm

Banana you weren't saying that Souness destroyed Newcastle when they were on a 8 game winning streak in all competitions. Anything can happen, a draw at Woodison Park is not impossible.

Liverpool

v Portsmouth[W]
v Crystal Palace[W]
v Boro[W]
v Arsenal[L]
v Aston Villa[W]

Total: 63

Bolton

v Soton [D]
v Aston Villa [L]
v Chelsea [L]
v Portsmouth [W]