Moving finnan to right wing - It works well

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hobbes » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:38 am

Rafa finally used someone who can play on the right as RW.
Steve Finnan had shown a wonderful game. Lovely ccrosses. If he continues there he would be better as RW. He could easily be converted as RB too.

Good move. Rather than wasting Ciise and Ponggole or Garcia on the right. Now we can see Liv scoring.
hobbes

Postby darwisigila » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:02 am

yeah........finnan can play there.maybe he can't beat people at will, but he rarely make mistake..if he can create good understanding with rb, his game will be much better..
darwisigila

Postby Espionage » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 am

he doesnt fu*k around with the ball, he just gets on with the crossing!!!!! (both feet too)
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:47 am

Finnan is not, and never will be a RM. I watched him in that position for Ireland in Cyprus last week and he was like a fish out of water. Yes he can do a job there but he is a RB and a very good one at that. End of!
FrankM

Postby AwiLas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Maybe Luis Garcia or Harry Kewell at RW as Liverpool needs somebody that can take on defenders and scores as well.:;):
AwiLas

Postby JC_81 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 pm

Most people are in agreement that Finnan is a very solid full back, Mr consistency.  Possibly the only thing holding him back from being a really top right back is his lack of ability going forward.  Yes he can hit a decent cross, but rarely gets into positions to do so when played as a right back.  He's not got the pace or skill to go by a man.

So given that going forward is not his greatest strength, I don't see him as a right midfielder, definitely wouldn't like to have to rely on him there regularly.  He's a good defender and right back is unquestionably his best position.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:57 pm

AwiLas wrote:Maybe Luis Garcia or Harry Kewell at RW as Liverpool needs somebody that can take on defenders and scores as well.:;):

luis for RW? you must be joking
he has never been and will never be a winger
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:00 pm

He has a good crossing technique, but they are very rarely accurate. THATS what we need - accuracy.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:50 pm

No, for me Steve Finnan is a solid and unspectacular full-back. He neither fits the roll of right-midfielder (which in a 4-4-2 is what I think we need) nor as a winger. In fairness he is closer to the former than the latter though nobody ever seems willing to debate the distinction between the two roles on here. Ever since people started talking about Joaquin who by all accounts is a winger, people have gone all Stanley Mathews on us. It's all about beating people, hogging the touchline, dribbling skills, dropping the shoulder and all that stuff. They'll be wanting somebody with a greased back centre parting next.
I've always said it, top class wingers like this Joaquin fella are a rarity. Most teams play with wide-midfielders who tackle, track back and chip in with the odd goal or two. Jeez, some of them can even head it! Our international captain hasn't been a bad player over the years and I don't think I've ever seen him dribble.
Steve Finnan though? Nah mate, Glen Johnson is your man.  :;):
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:56 pm

that is desperation if you play a right back in the right wing position,he is a defender and that is is job,what is he going to bring attacking wise to us,he hardly bombs down the right and whips crosses in like a salgado ,cafu or a sagnol  when he plays right back does he?
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:52 am

You guys have forgotten that in light of what we have now at present Steve Finnan is the best one to be there.

If you compare with actual RW or a RCM obviously Steve Finnan is not the man. But looking at present situation he is the best option available.
I agree we have to get someone solid RCM or  RW but remember we have alot of games till January. Steve Finnan is our guy there.
hobbes

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 am

All this RW and RCM and AMC. I tell you, Championship manager has got a lot to answer for. Positions on a football field were never meant to sound like gangster rappers from downtown Detroit. It's all wrong if you ask me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 am

the only proper personnel available who is capable for position RW is Harry Kewell
this is probably why Rafa has so far never considered to sell him
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:20 am

anfieldadorer wrote:the only proper personnel available who is capable for position RW is Harry Kewell
this is probably why Rafa has so far never considered to sell him

I will never be convinced that a left footed player can be the answer to a right midfield problem
FrankM

Postby kazza » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:22 am

bigmick wrote:All this RW and RCM and AMC. I tell you, Championship manager has got a lot to answer for. Positions on a football field were never meant to sound like gangster rappers from downtown Detroit. It's all wrong if you ask me.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Hey mick, I thought you said I would not want to talk to you at a party
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion