Best performances of the season so far? - Top five

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Been wondering how people ranked our win on Tuesday among other results this season. I could have done this as a poll, but they've become a bit of a poll-itical hot potato recently. Besides, a top five can offer more discussion than a poll for the best single result.

For me :-

1) Liverpool 2-1 Man Utd
Recovered from an early setback and outplayed the mancs, not lucklessly for a change as has been the case once or twice. Even sweeter for being without Torres and Gerrard only coming on in the 2nd half

2) Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid
For the style of our first half play, less the manner of the first two goals and the wide open defence. We may have been ahead 1-0 after the 1st leg, but bravely attacking and forcing Casillas to save well early on was rewarded. Also there were few, if any, poor performances. I certainly couldn't single any player out for a poor game.

3) Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool
Just a fantastic result to win at SB, controlled performance and a slice of luck going our way (not that Mourinho would ever admit his side had luck against us)

4) Man City 2-3 Liverpool
To come back from 0-2 down was fantastic, some may say the sending off of Zabaleta at 1-2 was key, but it was deserved as we had already gained the momentum. I think they could have had 12 players and still lost, momentum more key to the outcome than the deserved red card.

5) Portsmouth 2-3 Liverpool
While I may maintain that this wasn't tactical genius by Rafa, throwing on Kuyt, Alonso and Torres is hardly rocket science, the team hung in there to the death without Gerrard or Torres (until the last 15 mins) Maybe helped by some poor defending, I thought we did well to stick at it and score twice in the last five or six minutes to pull off a last gasp win. It also makes my list because it was on the back of a cup exit to the bitters - and that having gone to extra time

Bit of a mix of the controlled, convincing and the comeback.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Cant disagree one bit thre mate - Number six for me would be the away leg against madrid - controlled the game and then delivered the killer blow near the end and helped set up the game on tuesday
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:18 pm

I don't know if it's a top 5, but certainly it warrants merit.   The 2-1 win at Anfield against Middlesbrough.  The late Carragher equalizer and the added time winner from Gerrard.  I thought that match was a big key to the flying start of the season.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 pm

My top five would be :-

1/ Real Madrid 4-0 I honestly can't remember when we have played so well against top opposition in the last few years.

2/ mancs 2-1 We needed a slice of luck to get back into the game, but earned it with passion and comittment. We took control of the midfield and while we didn't create many genuine chances we got the breaks and took the game.

3/ Everton 2-0 Possibly our best actual performance after the Madrid one , but you have also to take into account the quality of the opposition and Everton are only a "little club".

4/Chelsea 1-0 We got the early goal hung on for awhile and than played out the game quite comfortably.

5/ Newcastle 5-1 We played a wierd team and a strange formation, but could have had 10 but for Given. Even taking into account how poor Newcastle are it was an outstanding result.
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Mine would be

1) Real Madrid 4:0 - theres no contender for top spot IMO
2) Newcastle 5:1 - absolutely stuffed them with a dodgy team
3) Chelsea 1:0 - a win at SB to end their run was incredible
4) Man U 2:1 - its the Mancs could easily have been top
5) Man City 3:2 - we looked like we were going to lose but the determination the lads showed was incredible, never say die stuff
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Madmax » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:22 pm

For me would be no.1 mate.. beating mannure at anfield just felt lsooo great and if were were to beat them on saturday would be even better..

My choices in order

1) LFC 2-1 mannure
2) LFC 4-0 real madrid
3) LFC 2-0 chelsea
4) chelsea 0-1 LFC
5) newcastle 1-5 LFC
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:34 pm

s@int wrote:My top five would be :-

1/ Real Madrid 4-0 I honestly can't remember when we have played so well against top opposition in the last few years.

2/ mancs 2-1 We needed a slice of luck to get back into the game, but earned it with passion and comittment. We took control of the midfield and while we didn't create many genuine chances we got the breaks and took the game.

3/ Everton 2-0 Possibly our best actual performance after the Madrid one , but you have also to take into account the quality of the opposition and Everton are only a "little club".

4/Chelsea 1-0 We got the early goal hung on for awhile and than played out the game quite comfortably.

5/ Newcastle 5-1 We played a wierd team and a strange formation, but could have had 10 but for Given. Even taking into account how poor Newcastle are it was an outstanding result.

Yea mine would be the same as well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:11 pm

(1) LFC 2-1 Man U.....a result we've needed against that mob in the league for ages and it got our season off to a flyer
(2) Chelsea 0-1 LFC.....see above
(3) LFC 4-0 Real Madrid.....a comprehensive battering of one of Europe's footballing elite and a timely reminder of just how good we can be at this football lark
(4) Manchester City 2-3 LFC.....2-0 down at half time, on the road, in early October with Skrtel stretchered off and things looking dire; this was the first big test of our title credentials, as we needed the win to keep pace with leaders Chelsea. Three second half goals, including one in injury time to seal the comeback kept us right on the leaders' shoulders and helped instill a sense of belief that, IMO, served the lads well over the coming months
(5) Newcastle 1-5 LFC.....another battering of a team nowhere near Europe or England's elite but a nonetheless comprehensive display of quality attacking football and a match that looked to send a message to the league as 2008 became 2009.  Pity about what came next
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 am

Surprised this has not a lot of responses, thought it would generate a bit of enthusiasm (a positive thread, not much room for negativity or Rafa bashing)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 am

Liverpool 4 Madrid 0, best result and performance of the season by far. Reminded me of when we beat Juve a couple of seasons back with high tempo and intensity. But the Madrid game topped that.

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1, another great performance for me. Broke Chelsea's four year home record without defeat. Excellent discipline and tesam ethic, similar to that away at Madrid.

Liverpool 2 Manu 1, Always a pleasure beating these totally dominated the game without Gerrard and Torres. Great perfromance.
ain
Madrid 0 Liverpool 1, Another European game where we controlled and contained, sheer proffesionalism!

Newcastle 1 Liverpool 5, I wish we could do this more often to the likes, these performances of ruthlessly beating a team in the Prem are rarer than Haileys comet.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 am

Double post

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:49 am

Chelsea away was our best League performance for me because we ended their unbeaten home run and were clearly the better side for the whole 90 minutes, despite being without Torres. I don't think they even had a shot on target.

The 5-1 at Newcastle was good and should have been 15-1 but was hard to guage because Newcastle played like a pub team. The United and City games were fantastic results but if you look back we only really performed for the second 45 minutes in each of the games.

Overall it's Real Madrid the other night. Forget how "poor" Madrid were according to some. It was probably the best we've played under Rafa imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:55 am

Real Madrid 4-0 : It's been a long while since we battered "top" opposition at home.

Newcastle away 5-1 : Scoreline says it all, totally outdid a team on their own turf.

PSV Eindhoven away : Love winning well away in Europe, went one behind, then played them off the pitch.

Man Utd 2-1 : Stopped them playing.

Man City away 3-2 : Istanbul-esque comeback
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Madmax wrote:1) LFC 2-1 mannure
2) LFC 4-0 real madrid
3) LFC 2-0 chelsea
4) chelsea 0-1 LFC
5) newcastle 1-5 LFC

have to agree with madmax on his list

just hope we can do the same to the manc feckers tomorrow then i would have to drop the newcastle game out and add that one  :buttrock
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Hmmmm...Don't know if there have been 5 "best performances" this season, TBH.

But the game against Real Madrid the other night easily ranks as the best performance by the team this year, followed by the 2-0 game against Everton. They are the two clearly great performances for me.

I do find myself not getting too excited by the 2-1 victory over Man Utd or the 1-0 victory against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge though, as both games were decided by good fortune and not by the performances...which, in fairness, were good all the same.

Great results over great teams no doubt, but I'd be happier if we'd scored through decent shots on goal rather than deflections and OG's.

As for the 5-1 win against Newcastle...well, my gran could have beaten them that day and she's been dead 20+ years, so I'd say the Man City 3-2 win ranks better than that, once Liverpool turned on the juice they played brilliantly for a great comeback.

So...

1. Real Madrid 4-0
2. Everton 0-2
3. Man City 2-3
4. Man Utd 2-1
5. Chelsea 0-1
tonyeh

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion