Do you think that the boardroom shennanigans... - ... have affected performances ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Do you think that the boardroom shennanigans... - ... have affected performances ?

They have been effected to the detrement- (WORSE)
61%
No there has been no effect (THE SAME)
31%
The performances have been better due to the boardroom wrangle (BETTER)
8%

Total votes : 61

Postby Owzat » Sat May 03, 2008 8:03 am

Scottbot wrote:
peewee wrote:as for poor, yes we were playing poorly and we have remained playing poorly hence another trophy less season, out the FA cup to barnsley ffs, struggling to beat much weaker cheaper teams in the PL, if thats not poor then I don't know what is. The CL run has papered over a few more cracks and this is football related, not boardroom related.

We've been playing poorly the last 2-3 months? I agree with some of what you say but you ALWAYS overplay it. I'm not happy with the way the season has gone but at least I can acknowledge that we have played well during the latter part of the season. You'd rather not say we've shown some good form or even recognise our Champions League turn-around on the grounds that it might weaken your 'everything is shi...i...te, Rafa sucks' argument. 

Fair enough if you have that opinion but you've turned into the grumpy grandad that no-one wants at family parties. If you were a pundit it would definately be Mark Lawrensen.

I don'y know how anyone can claim this is down to the boardroom. We've drawn way too many league matches, were unlucky against Barnsley, expected to get beat in the league cup away to CHELSEA and lost away to CHELSEA in the Champions League SEMI. Not a bad season bar the league performances.

And you're right, recent performances have been improved. We had a mid season mare. The problem was we drew so many games early on, about half, that when we had a bad run it left us too far behind in the league. We've only lost four league games, but if you look at how many points we've dropped it tells the story accurately

Wins (19) : 0 points dropped (0.00%)
Draws (13) : 26 points dropped (68.42%)
Losses (4) : 12 points dropped (31.58%)

So two thirds of our dropped points have come through draws. And by 9 game splits :

01-09 : P9 W5 D4 L0 F16 A5 (clean sheets : 5)
10-18 : P9 W5 D2 L2 F17 A7 (clean sheets : 4)
19-27 : P9 W3 D5 L1 F13 A8 (clean sheets : 3)
28-36 : P9 W6 D2 L1 F18 A8 (clean sheets : 4)

Never consistently prolific in goalscoring, never consistently tight defensively. If performances were affected by boardroom how come it wasn't showing in defeats? What I mean is we're saying it was bad enough to make us draw more games and not lose that many?!?

We had a spell after we got through in the Champions League of two defeats followed by two wins then five without a win, including four draws so P9 W2 D5 L2. That did come about the time Rafa was fuming over lack of communication regards transfers with the January window fast approaching. Maybe that weighed on the minds of the players, but the defeat at Reading was down to Rafa, loss to the mancs was poor defending at a corner, and the draws were equally feeble.

So I'd say yes, maybe there was a little influence, but it isn't an excuse. The players went on a poor run, but have done so pretty much every season since Rafa got here. Wasn't it 10 points from 21 every previous start to the season? We simply didn't win enough games we should have, draws at home to Wigan, Brum, villa and spudz, plus a few lacklustre away displays against Reading, Man City and Boro. The difference between the mancs and ourselves is 11 points, the home form shown below shows clearly why we're not up there with them :

Home record 2007/8

Man Utd P18 W16 D1 L1 F43 A6 PTS 49
Liverpool P18 W11 D6 L1 F42 A13 PTS 39

So the difference is they won five more games and we drew five more games. Goals for about the same, they've conceded a ridiculously small number of goals so you could suggest their tighter defence at home is the difference. And those four home draws I mentioned, three were 2-2 and one 1-1 - we should have won all of them and if to nil, then we'd be P18 W15 D2 L1 F42 A6 PTS 47 so difference negligible, an extra goal in another draw and they'd be identical records. So careless dropped points at home have cost us, not the boardroom.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:???

Ohh the questioning? you take on board what the regulars say, you also take on board what the newer members say but take it as your own, you then take in your WUMS and add that to your reply. What you have then is a reply that is all round. The rest of us dont try so hard, we just speak as it is but it is much more to you, you have to be there dont you? You have to be an all rounder and hop on the bandwagon. Look at peewee, look at GBJH, you are always there stirring. And then sit back and watch the fireworks.Like I said. You are an idiot, you are there simply there because you have no other significance in life.

You're on one of these random, fucking weird rants again  :kungfu:
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Sat May 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Owzat wrote:I don't know how anyone can claim this is down to the boardroom. We've drawn way too many league matches, were unlucky against Barnsley, expected to get beat in the league cup away to CHELSEA and lost away to CHELSEA in the Champions League SEMI. Not a bad season bar the league performances.

And you're right, recent performances have been improved. We had a mid season mare. The problem was we drew so many games early on, about half, that when we had a bad run it left us too far behind in the league. We've only lost four league games, but if you look at how many points we've dropped it tells the story accurately

Not sure I have said it was down to the boardroom mate. All i've said is I believe it MAY have affected some of the players at the time it was all going off. I've certainly never tried to hold it up as an excuse for the failures on the pitch but it i don't believe it helped. Of course it's completely impossible to measure (not good for a stats man like yourself!) so i guess we'll never know unless Carra writes his autobiography in a few years time.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sat May 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes they have been detrimental, its dimwitted to think otherwise.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:41 pm

None of us can say for sure if the behind the scenes ongoings have effected the players.I guess the only people that could answer that are the players themselves.What i will say though is that it has im sure made a few of them insecure about their future.

To me the most significant thing to negatively effect our season was the injury to Daniel Agger.Since Rafa took control our defence has been something to be proud of overall.Basically because Rafa mostly stuck with the same back 4 we reaped the benefits.
Agger was brought in obviously to replace Hyypia who it seems the manager thinks not fit enough to play every game  in turn why we got Skrtel in January,it seemed to me like a panic buy at the time but the lad looks pretty solid after a nighmare 1st game against Havent and Waterlooville,im glad hes our player now!

So Rafa is left with Carra who will start every game until hell freezes over.Hyypia who can be as good as any defender in the world on his day(in my opinion).And a new signing who he needs to play because he feels Hyypia cant start every game.
Rafas hand was forced,he had 3 players to fill the 2 centre back positions,only one of which started every game.It was a toss up between Skrtel and Hyypia as to who would start alongside Carra.

Personally i feel Carras performance this season has suffered due to the lack of a consistant partnership at the back also.

On a whole our defence has not been its usual solid self and results have suffered because of this.Im not saying if Agger stayed fit we would have won the league!
But im 100% adament that if he had done our defence would have leaked lesser goals and we would been a lot closer to the title than we have ended up.

But then again i may be wrong,and we could always blame Rafa,rotation,the tea lady,her dog and the Yanks,DICs failure to rescue us from the devil himself,Parry and Moores,everton(cause they balme us on everything,bast.ards)

Or in reality maybe we are just 2 or 3 quality players away from what we want to be! :cool:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun May 04, 2008 12:20 am

I've got to be honest here, I don't buy into injuries as a valid reason barry (i think that's your name, appologies if it isn't, but it is for now). I had this debate with saint a while back when he was going on about the Agger injury. United (top of the league, european cup final) have had their skipper and mr dependable Gary Neville out all season. Chelsea (second in the league, european cup final) didn't have their first choice defenders fit till after Christmas. I remember hearing around the start of Feburary that Carvalho and Terry had started less than 5 games together all season, as well as that Cech has been in and out due to injuries. Tottenham (league cup winners) haven't had a fit centre half all season. Jenas, Huddlestone, Zakora, Chimbonda and Lee have all played centre half for Spurs because of their injuries. Yet these teams have been able to manage and succeed and win trophies.

I don't need to say how highly I rate Agger because I've made that point clear on numerous occasions in the past, but I don't think we can really use that as an excuse. Every side has injuries. We've been luckier than the other examples I used because they all lost their captain and inspiration. United have lost Vidic of late and I wouldn't call Pique/Brown/Sylvestre a better replacement than either Skrtel or Hyypia. Same goes for Alex and Ben Haim...I'd take Skrtel and Hyypia all day above those two. So again, I don't really believe we can blame the injury to Agger on our disappointing season. It probably hasn't helped, but it's not a valid reason for us having a below par season IMO.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:33 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I've got to be honest here, I don't buy into injuries as a valid reason barry (i think that's your name, appologies if it isn't, but it is for now). I had this debate with saint a while back when he was going on about the Agger injury. United (top of the league, european cup final) have had their skipper and mr dependable Gary Neville out all season. Chelsea (second in the league, european cup final) didn't have their first choice defenders fit till after Christmas. I remember hearing around the start of Feburary that Carvalho and Terry had started less than 5 games together all season, as well as that Cech has been in and out due to injuries. Tottenham (league cup winners) haven't had a fit centre half all season. Jenas, Huddlestone, Zakora, Chimbonda and Lee have all played centre half for Spurs because of their injuries. Yet these teams have been able to manage and succeed and win trophies.

I don't need to say how highly I rate Agger because I've made that point clear on numerous occasions in the past, but I don't think we can really use that as an excuse. Every side has injuries. We've been luckier than the other examples I used because they all lost their captain and inspiration. United have lost Vidic of late and I wouldn't call Pique/Brown/Sylvestre a better replacement than either Skrtel or Hyypia. Same goes for Alex and Ben Haim...I'd take Skrtel and Hyypia all day above those two. So again, I don't really believe we can blame the injury to Agger on our disappointing season. It probably hasn't helped, but it's not a valid reason for us having a below par season IMO.

One a whole John Aggers injury in my opinion did have an effect our defence!
Think about it,our defence in the last few seasons had been as good as anyones.Aggers injury forced changes that in hand affected the stability of the team.

Im not using it as a cop out by any means but what im saying and will stand by is that if Agger was fit and our CB partnership had been Carra and Agger throughout the season we would have conceeded less goals and dropped less points.

Its not rocket science really,if two centre backs are in understanding and have eachothers number a team conceeds less goals!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 am

agree mate, it's had an affect but I thought you were trying to excuse this season because of the injury. Obviously you're not. Carra and Agger had built up an understanding and the injury must of had some affect, but it doesn't in a million years excuse the disappointment of the season.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Dalglish » Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am

I find it perplexing to discover on voting "the Same" that the large majority believe our form has been worse. This is NOT bourne out by the results in the Premiership. We have lost just 4 games this season (1 less than United) and are on course to better our pts total from last season.

Against the top 3 last season we lost 5 out of 6 with Chelsea and the Mancs doing the double over us. This season we have lost 2 out of 6 and drew the other 4, one of which was the 1-1 draw at Anfield when Chelsea got the most generous penalty decision you are ever likely to see !

We lost to Reading when we were well beaten on the day and West Ham to a last minute penalty.

Our shortcoming this season has been the amount of drawn games, particularly at home.

As disappointing as losing to Chelsea in the Semi Final of the CL is it's a small miracle we got there in the first place. In November we were rock bottom of the group and needed to win all 3 games to qualify for the later stages. We won 8-0, 4-1 and 4-0 then went on to beat arguably the best team in Europe at that time (Inter ) both home and away then Arsenal in the Quarter finals.

It's to Rafa's credit that he has managed to stay as focussed as he has during an incredibly difficult time for himself personally and the club.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I've got to be honest here, I don't buy into injuries as a valid reason barry (i think that's your name, appologies if it isn't, but it is for now). I had this debate with saint a while back when he was going on about the Agger injury. United (top of the league, european cup final) have had their skipper and mr dependable Gary Neville out all season. Chelsea (second in the league, european cup final) didn't have their first choice defenders fit till after Christmas. I remember hearing around the start of Feburary that Carvalho and Terry had started less than 5 games together all season, as well as that Cech has been in and out due to injuries. Tottenham (league cup winners) haven't had a fit centre half all season. Jenas, Huddlestone, Zakora, Chimbonda and Lee have all played centre half for Spurs because of their injuries. Yet these teams have been able to manage and succeed and win trophies.

gary neville is sh.it to say man u have coped without him is nothing speacial, chelsea have had injurys but with there bigger more exspensive squad they will find it easier to cope then most and tottenham have had a terrible season sure they have won the leauge cup but that doesnt excuse their league form

personally i think agger was a massive loss to our season espeacially pre skrtel, some people forget just how good the lad is, torres had a couple of weeks out here and there and i felt we missed him badly when he didnt play not just for his goals but his allround threat and alonso was out for a while..despite what some people on here think of his form hes still a quality player imo and would always be missed
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun May 04, 2008 1:29 am

redblood with all due respect I don't know what Gary Neville you watch but to think he is shit is a poor valuation. Hopefully you're winding us all up like I was about Ronaldo (which some idiots took seriously and still do) Anyway, Neville (no matter how much I and every other Liverpool fan hates him) he's still the best right back in the country. He gets forward, he creates, he inspires and he knows how to defend.

Chelsea's bigger and better squad...their replacements for Carvalho and Terry are Alex (free) and Ben Haim (free). Hardly spent a fortune on their replacements at the back.

Tottenham have had a poor season league wise. But the point I was making is, they managed to still go on and win the league cup with all these injuries as well as do reasonably well in Europe only to be knocked out on pens by PSV.

I don't forget how good Agger is. I'm one of his biggest fans. My opinion of him is that he's the best centre half in the world on his day. I know exactly what he's capable of. But his injury still doesn't give us valid reason for failing. Had we lost Reina/Carra/Agger/Gerrard/Mascherano/Torres all in the same season, then maybe. But not just one player for a long period of time.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:31 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:redblood with all due respect I don't know what Gary Neville you watch but to think he is shit is a poor valuation. Hopefully you're winding us all up like I was about Ronaldo (which some idiots took seriously and still do).

Good one  :D
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Fri May 09, 2008 1:57 am

redtrader74 wrote:Yes they have been detrimental, its dimwitted to think otherwise.

Dimwitted?  ???

Interesting opinion that it has been detrimental.... as compared to sheer bullheadedness when confronted with the actual results in the league before and after the ignition point of this whole damn mess which was the Klinsmann revelation, IMO.

I prefer facts to perception.

I'm not a Rafa fan... BUT credit must be given to the man for holding us together in the face of hardship and actually improving our league results after the debarcle. To say that it has been detrimental to the results on the field is to undervalue Rafa's good work during that period.
ConnO'var

Postby greenbyname_redbynature » Fri May 09, 2008 2:18 am

i could vote again and still voted no.

i'll always stand by one of the things which wasn't a wind up, the goings on off the field have no baring for what happens on the pitch. If it did then we should all be praising Tom Hicks and George Gillett for their continued support during the Inter and Arsenal games. Is anybody willing to do that? Well I'm not anyway, someone else might decide to.

Benitez is a decent manager, not great as some think, not shit as others think but decent. I don't buy into this "he held the club together under difficult circumstances" He wasn't doing anything special, he's paid to manage Liverpool Football Club and that's what he was doing. Benitez was doing his job. You don't deserve special praise for doing as expected. Winning the european cup in 2005 wasn't expected so he deserved extra praise. Drawing at home to Wigan isn't expected so he deserves greater criticism.

Hicks/Gillett/Parry and whoever else is fucking the club about upstairs aren't doing their jobs properly so they're the ones who must be blamed for off the field antics. As they are. They don't interfere with what happens on the pitch. They don't come down to the dressing room at half time and bring Voronin on. On the field problem lies with manager and players always. Off the field antics lie with owners/directors and whatever other funny names are thrown about now just for some fella to have initals after his name. The two don't interlock. Benitez doesn't stop the ground being built and Hicks doesn't stop Voronin from being picked.
greenbyname_redbynature

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri May 09, 2008 10:39 am

greenbyname_redbynature wrote:The two don't interlock.

Unless your the Chelsea manager and have Ambramovich as your boss!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion