Best performances of the season so far? - Top five

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 pm

This has to go down as one of the wierdest seasons I can remember as a Liverpool supporter.

When you think about it, we put in some blinding performances this year and yet are only hanging on to the title race by the skin of our teeth. ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Bad Bob wrote:(1) LFC 2-1 Man U.....a result we've needed against that mob in the league for ages and it got our season off to a flyer
(2) Chelsea 0-1 LFC.....see above
(3) LFC 4-0 Real Madrid.....a comprehensive battering of one of Europe's footballing elite and a timely reminder of just how good we can be at this football lark
(4) Manchester City 2-3 LFC.....2-0 down at half time, on the road, in early October with Skrtel stretchered off and things looking dire; this was the first big test of our title credentials, as we needed the win to keep pace with leaders Chelsea. Three second half goals, including one in injury time to seal the comeback kept us right on the leaders' shoulders and helped instill a sense of belief that, IMO, served the lads well over the coming months
(5) Newcastle 1-5 LFC.....another battering of a team nowhere near Europe or England's elite but a nonetheless comprehensive display of quality attacking football and a match that looked to send a message to the league as 2008 became 2009.  Pity about what came next

Errr, I might wish to revise my list. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:(1) LFC 2-1 Man U.....a result we've needed against that mob in the league for ages and it got our season off to a flyer
(2) Chelsea 0-1 LFC.....see above
(3) LFC 4-0 Real Madrid.....a comprehensive battering of one of Europe's footballing elite and a timely reminder of just how good we can be at this football lark
(4) Manchester City 2-3 LFC.....2-0 down at half time, on the road, in early October with Skrtel stretchered off and things looking dire; this was the first big test of our title credentials, as we needed the win to keep pace with leaders Chelsea. Three second half goals, including one in injury time to seal the comeback kept us right on the leaders' shoulders and helped instill a sense of belief that, IMO, served the lads well over the coming months
(5) Newcastle 1-5 LFC.....another battering of a team nowhere near Europe or England's elite but a nonetheless comprehensive display of quality attacking football and a match that looked to send a message to the league as 2008 became 2009.  Pity about what came next

Errr, I might wish to revise my list. :D

:D Yeah me too Bob  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:10 pm

I think everyone's is due a few changes! :laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 pm

1. MANC 1 - 4 LIVERPOOL

:buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Out of this and the Madrid performance I think we played more fluid football on Tuesday but this result is so much sweeter.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:04 pm

bavlondon wrote:Out of this and the Madrid performance I think we played more fluid football on Tuesday but this result is so much sweeter.

I agree with that, thats why I put it number one because it so sweet!!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:03 am

JBG wrote:This has to go down as one of the wierdest seasons I can remember as a Liverpool supporter.

When you think about it, we put in some blinding performances this year and yet are only hanging on to the title race by the skin of our teeth. ???

Very weird indeed. We've doubled United, Chelsea and Real Madrid but in reality are chances of winning the league are very small. We're miles ahead in the 'big four' mini league but have dropped numerous points to smaller clubs. I much prefer this to having got the points from the smaller teams who we know we can beat if we can be more consistent. We're all going to look back at the season and think about what could have been though aren't we.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 am

Yes I would put Tuesdays performance as slightly better, but that was against a much weaker team than this one. I actually thought our most controlled, efficient, professional and impressive performace was Chelsea Away, and our most fluid and attacking was Madrid at Home.

In terms though of sheer scale of achievement, the win at Old Trafford by 4-1 has to be the best. I've only just started reading the threads so apologies if anyone has already mentioned it, but a result on this scale could potentially be one of watershed proportions. It could possiblky be THE result upon which future foundations of belief and title challenges are built. Even if it is the case that it's come too late for us this season in terms of winning the title, results like that can formulate a new perspective amongst both players and management.

Now we've beaten both Chelsea and Man Utd Home and Away in the same season (an incredible achievement) maybe we will start to look at our approach against the lesser lights. Now we have the beleif that we can really damage the top teams, perhaps there will be an adjustment next season to our outlook by a degree or two. Perhaps this was what Rafa meant this week when he talked of needing to improve in all areas, including "team selection". The Manc result could prove to be a catalyst for new begining. I hope so, and in those terms, in terms of sheer importance to the football club, it has to be our best performance for the last three seasons for me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:24 am

Id say the 4-0 against madrid is our best performance simply because its been a long time since ive seen us attack the opposition (top opposition at that) in the manner we did. The commentators got it spot on, we started like mad men !

Todays performance is a very close second though. The fact that our big name players didnt disappear and took the game to them made a massive difference. Villa at home next, the message to the selection and attitude of the team from rafa should be "as you were lads".
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:00 am

Madmax wrote:For me would be no.1 mate.. beating mannure at anfield just felt lsooo great and if were were to beat them on saturday would be even better..

My choices in order

1) LFC 2-1 mannure
2) LFC 4-0 real madrid
3) LFC 2-0 chelsea
4) chelsea 0-1 LFC
5) newcastle 1-5 LFC

would like to change my top five to this...

1) mannure 1 - 4 LFC
2) LFC 2-1 mannure
3) LFC 4-0 real madrid
4) LFC 2-0 chelsea
5) chelsea 0-1 LFC
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 am

I think most might have room for the win yesterday in there, not as brilliant and destructive as Real, but they weren't quite as ordinary or generous with space.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 am

GRAHAM01 wrote:
Madmax wrote:1) LFC 2-1 mannure
2) LFC 4-0 real madrid
3) LFC 2-0 chelsea
4) chelsea 0-1 LFC
5) newcastle 1-5 LFC

have to agree with madmax on his list

just hope we can do the same to the manc feckers tomorrow then i would have to drop the newcastle game out and add that one  :buttrock

and out goes the newcastle game  :buttrock  :buttrock
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:43 am

GRAHAM01 wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:
Madmax wrote:1) LFC 2-1 mannure
2) LFC 4-0 real madrid
3) LFC 2-0 chelsea
4) chelsea 0-1 LFC
5) newcastle 1-5 LFC

have to agree with madmax on his list

just hope we can do the same to the manc feckers tomorrow then i would have to drop the newcastle game out and add that one  :buttrock

and out goes the newcastle game  :buttrock  :buttrock

:D    :buttrock
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:48 am

If you are talking performance, how can the Real Madrid game not be no.1?  We played an absolutely perfect game, the passing of the ball were beautiful, not mistake, it was perfect!
oakton

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion