Reinas judgement season - One season wonder

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Um Ba » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:Now before I get slated, I am Rienas No.1 Fan and im not having a jab at his ability.

Since Brucey we have had 4 first choice Goalkeepers James, Westerveld, Dudek, Now Reina. Each of these Goalkeepers impressed in there first seasons.

David James seemed an outstanding talent and even kept Brucey out for a while after making his Debut, but soon after the nick name Calamity James came alone and he let out his true screw up ability.

Sander Westerveld seemed a solid Goalkeeper in his first season making his debut against sheff wed and having a decent first season (not outstanding) and an improvement from David James. He became a liablity in his second season (Punching it in his own net v chelsea (pre - roman), being consider by the press as the weak link in the side despite winning the trebble and qualifying for europe.

Jerzy Dudek in his first season finished second in the clean sheet league (18 or 19) (behiend Nigel Martyn for the statspotters (played 3 less games i think) making outstanding saves and helping us to the Quaters of the Champs League, But soon after the mistakes and slip-ups came along (man utd. Forlan goal to name the worst) falling out of favour to Kirkland for a while, probably would have been replace by Kirkland but for Kirklands injuries.

Now Reina has had a outstanding last season breaking records, but as Liverpools previous luck with keepers has gone he shouldn't be as good this year.

Before you say it, It will take something special to beat his records from last season, but what i mean is will he be as solid as he was last season sometimes acting as the sweeper practically. Also i am aware that the defence contributes alot.

What do people think of Reina is he here to stay long term, or do people see him going to peices in the next season or 2.

A Baldy Man is a Weak Man He Can Never Suck My Bongos  :angry:
Um Ba

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:44 pm

Um Ba wrote:
Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:Now before I get slated, I am Rienas No.1 Fan and im not having a jab at his ability.

Since Brucey we have had 4 first choice Goalkeepers James, Westerveld, Dudek, Now Reina. Each of these Goalkeepers impressed in there first seasons.

David James seemed an outstanding talent and even kept Brucey out for a while after making his Debut, but soon after the nick name Calamity James came alone and he let out his true screw up ability.

Sander Westerveld seemed a solid Goalkeeper in his first season making his debut against sheff wed and having a decent first season (not outstanding) and an improvement from David James. He became a liablity in his second season (Punching it in his own net v chelsea (pre - roman), being consider by the press as the weak link in the side despite winning the trebble and qualifying for europe.

Jerzy Dudek in his first season finished second in the clean sheet league (18 or 19) (behiend Nigel Martyn for the statspotters (played 3 less games i think) making outstanding saves and helping us to the Quaters of the Champs League, But soon after the mistakes and slip-ups came along (man utd. Forlan goal to name the worst) falling out of favour to Kirkland for a while, probably would have been replace by Kirkland but for Kirklands injuries.

Now Reina has had a outstanding last season breaking records, but as Liverpools previous luck with keepers has gone he shouldn't be as good this year.

Before you say it, It will take something special to beat his records from last season, but what i mean is will he be as solid as he was last season sometimes acting as the sweeper practically. Also i am aware that the defence contributes alot.

What do people think of Reina is he here to stay long term, or do people see him going to peices in the next season or 2.

A Baldy Man is a Weak Man He Can Never Suck My Bongos  :angry:

Yeah, mate, whatever you say.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:05 pm

Can't believe there are so many doubters out there after the amount of clean sheets Pepe had last term, give the fella a chance, there ain't a keeper alive who hasn't made a :censored:-up at some time, it's the nature of the business they're in. For consistency I reckon Pepe could be held in the same reverance as Clem' in years to come...
                                                                 :cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Reina is a good 'keeper, well ahead of the good but error-prone Dudek and the best we have had for quite some time. I still consider Clemence and Bruce Grobbelaar as the best, they are quite close but Grobbelaar shades it for me between the two as he made some spectacular saves in his time and some of the goals he conceded was down to his eccentricity.

Reina is quite a bit to do and achieve before he can be considered in th same league as Grobbelaar or Clemence.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 am

I think he will confirm his place. Before he came to Liverpool I considered Reina not a brilliant keeper that tends to provoke nightmares to strikers saving it all, but a solid keeper that will make very few mistakes. Last season he gave us that regularity that solidness, few mistakes, with some games of really high keeping level.

Plus I see Reina comfortable in Liverpool. He doesn't seem to feel homesick. I can see only one reason that might unrest him in England: the national squad. If you ask me Reina should be the second keeper of Spain, but I think that the fact of being away of the Spanish media put men like Cañizares (who has past his best) in the squad before. Coming back to Spain to a big club (bigger than Villareal) might be more tempting for him than to LG or Alonso because of that.

I think that success is due to Reina and the good work of Ochotorena. Not many teams take seriously the work of training goalkeepers. J.B. Toshack for instance is a coach I rate, but he always wants to control all the aspects of the training sessions himself, and his work with the keepers has never been proper, IMHO. Instead Liverpool is working very well that aspect of the game, and the work of Ochotorena, plus the natural solidness of Reina will bring more years of safety in the goal.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Im glad to see that there is so much confidence in Reina.

I agree with a lot of comments especialy about the defence having more confidence in him.

I tip him to be as solid this season and only improve with age and experience.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:30 pm

In terms of technical ability Reina is probably not much better than someone like Dudek, James etc.  In fact James may even be the more gifted goalkeeper.

What Reina has however is exactly the correct mental attributes for a keeper at a top club - he's confident and when he makes a mistake he recovers quickly from it.  A couple of bad games against United pretty much sealed the fate of both James and Dudek in terms of being our 1st choice keeper.  They were never the same.  Both have very fragile personalities.

In contrast look at Reina in the FA Cup final.  Over 90 minutes it was his worst performance of the season, he contributed to all 3 of West Ham's goals, especially Ashton's.  But in extra time he saved us a couple of times and in penalties he was even better.  Most keepers wouldn't have been capable of that after a 90 minutes like that - their confidence would be shattered completely.

And at 23, he's nowhere near his peak yet.  Great buy.  The thread's making a fair point though, we've had a lot of keepers go off the boil in their 2nd season, but for the reasons I've mentioned I don't think Reina will follow suit.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alessandromagno » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:52 pm

Interesting hypothesis, but I don't think there is any absolute law which dictates an LFC keeper must be :censored: in his second season. I guess we've just been unlucky. I was doubtful about Reina in his early days, but I think he's proved my worries unfounded. Behind a first rate defense and with the confidence of youth behind him, I expect to see another oustanding season.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:59 pm

is the presure on reina, i think so... but i hope he stays strong...because i can hear the pack of wolves coming,  as much as rating reina highly, at times he makes some bad judgement decisions...and he has made a few... dont get me wrong...when it comes to shot stopping and pens, there is no better than reina, but when he has to make a quick decsion, he tries to hard and makes a hash of things... i wouldnt mind other members views on the good and the bad of reina  :D    :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 pm

Reina is a top keeper, no doubt about it. Todays blunder could have been avoided had he punched the ball over the bar. He is still young and learning his trade, I have every faith in the man. Better him between the posts than Dudek anyday.
Rush

Postby Rafa D » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:28 pm

I trust Reina but he had a shocker today:

1) He was megged

2) Shouldn't get beat near post

3) Dont even start!

but he is no1 for sure
Last edited by Rafa D on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 am

Was thinking about this thread today actually, glad someone bumped it. Reina was excellent last season and showed that he had the required mental toughness in games like the FA cup final.

However it seems this first season curse which has plagued Westerveld, Dudek and James is continuing. He's had a very indifferent start to the season, but I know based on last season that he is more than good enough to turn it around.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:50 am

I reckon Pepe's age is the main problem we have with him, there ain't many keepers who've really made it at this level at such a young age, it takes years to polish the rough edges off. We've gotta stick with him...

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:42 pm

CardinalRed wrote:I reckon Pepe's age is the main problem we have with him, there ain't many keepers who've really made it at this level at such a young age

what a load of nonsense. cech, buffon, casillas, hildebrand to name but a few.
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:41 am

woof woof ! wrote:Reina imo is potentialy a great keeper , I echo most of the praise thats been said about him but have to admit that on high crosses he often gives me a near heart attack ! .He is however young and will learn and get better .

Expect him to have a great season although he might drop the odd clanger .  :)

AKA BRUCE GROBBALAAR. No 1 CLANGER DROPPER.
It would be nice however if Reina  would drop his clangers when we are 3-0 up and not 2-0 down to the bitters.  :D
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion