Our performances?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:24 am

LegBarnes wrote:
metalhead wrote:so WHY aren't we breaking down teams at home this season?!

I thought you knew you seem to know every thing yet you asking others for reasons isn't it clear ?

I don't know, Im clueless as you are  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:28 am

metalhead wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

I thought you knew you seem to know every thing yet you asking others for reasons isn't it clear ?

Must be all that metal in ya head mate.  :D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:35 am

LegBarnes wrote:
metalhead wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

Must be all that metal in ya head mate.  :D

:D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:35 am

So disappointed tonight.

Its not as if we didn't know what was happening in other games like when we played Fulham . Tonight we had a real good chance to put down a marker and we blew it big time.

Kuyt ran around all day with no end product.
Gerrard didn't look himself and looked to be trying to hard.
Keane again ran around a lot without any joy but TBH I felt sorry for him as the service he got was shocking to say the least.
Riera was very poor. I don't know what has happened the lad but ALREADY he is half the player he was when he arrived.
Benny ran around like a headless chicken and made so many sloppy passes that I lost count.
Babel done a bit when he came on and possibly should have started.
Ngog was.....well he was a joke to be fair.

And that was all our attacking players tonight. Thats all we had to give them.

It embarrassing then to say that our best chances in the game came from set pieces and went to out center back, Sami!! We nearly look scared of the goal at times and it shows how much the team as a whole have come to rely on Nando.

Our last 3 home games have been really poor and so bad to watch as a frustrated fan. Its not all doom and gloom but things need to step up and fast because if we continue like this we will be lucky to stay in the top 4 and I mean that.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 am

LegBarnes wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Keane which might be surprise to most is fantastic of the ball I feel when he plays a lone striker you don't see the best of his movement he can at times (when played in the hole) rip teams apart with out touching the ball but rafa has not played him to his strenghts yet !

Wheres your evidence to show Keane can play in the hole?

The 3 years he was a leading player in prem at spurs he played in hole there behind berba and was fantastic.

He plays same role for his country.

Also when he was young at wolves he used to play that role a fair bit and was impressive.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bmM2_FLi1RA&feature=related

Look where most of his runs start from in the hole also note these are his goals not showing the massive number of assists he gets from the hole posistion.

I thought Berba played behind  and Keane got the flick-ons and the like, Keanes more of an Owen than a Arshevin.
Last edited by Rush Job on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:13 am

watching us at home at the moment is painful. infact it's the same for chelsea and teams in general this season. we're far better suited to playing away from home.

not being able to score against stoke, fulham and west ham is a joke. how we are top is a mystery to me because i've seen us play well about 4 times all season in the league. the best we played was the first 70 minutes against spurs and we lost.

creativity is still sadly lacking in the final third. riera has gone off the boil. keane is really struggling and kuyt continues to frustrate due to hi lack of technical ability.

thank god we're away this weekend.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 am

Rush Job wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Keane which might be surprise to most is fantastic of the ball I feel when he plays a lone striker you don't see the best of his movement he can at times (when played in the hole) rip teams apart with out touching the ball but rafa has not played him to his strenghts yet !

Wheres your evidence to show Keane can play in the hole?

The 3 years he was a leading player in prem at spurs he played in hole there behind berba and was fantastic.

He plays same role for his country.

Also when he was young at wolves he used to play that role a fair bit and was impressive.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bmM2_FLi1RA&feature=related

Look where most of his runs start from in the hole also note these are his goals not showing the massive number of assists he gets from the hole posistion.

I thought Berba played behind  and Keane got the flick-ons and the like, Keanes more of an Owen than a Arshevin.

they did switch mate but keane did play in the hole and from that posistion moved into channels but prim area was the hole.

So many of his goals he stays in hole and makes his move late to get on end of crosses or to try and break offside.

Much same as torres which is wierd why rafa plays them together imo.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 am

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Rafa needs to sit down the team and say look your top of the table but that wont stay for long unless you pull your fingers out. In fairness we have always had a problem motivating ourselves lesser sides. It seems unless we are playing Arsenal, Chelsea or Utd or a big European club we cant get out of 1st gear. Baffles me sometimes. You would think that the pure notion of being several points clear at the top of the table is motivation alone to win this game but no. My only assumption is that most of the squad are not as hungry for sucess they should be.

Honestly, I don't think it's a lack of hunger, mate.  I think the lads are sh!t scared at the moment because they're in uncharted territory and the weight of expectation is that much greater.  We're an awesome side when we're the underdogs but we tend to freeze far too often when we're expected to win.  Unless we shed that mentality, the title will remain out of reach.

I think the part in bold is BOLLOX Bob, when we are underdogs we play on the break, desperately trying to keep a clean sheet and snatch a goal. When we play against sides we should beat, we play just the same...... we just have more possession!

The reason we do better against the good sides is that they have ambitions to win and press forward, against the poorer teams they are happy with a point. Although some of the poorer sides see the way we are playing and "think" they can get all three points now.

I agree its not lack of hunger, just lack of ideas and creativity. Lack of genuine goalscorers all over the pitch and too much safety first passing backwards football doesn't help either.

Without a Torres to hit teams on the break or score individual goals we look toothless and our only hope is a Gerrard "special" .

Saint, I agree completely about the lack of creativity in terms of breaking teams down that come to defend.  We've got very few answers to that approach when Gerrard and Torres are absent/misfiring and, if anything undermines a title challenge this season, that'll be it.

My point was that I also have doubts about our mentality when we're expected to win.  I think some of the lads get psyched out and that's why I think we're a much better team as the underdog--it suits our mentality more.  Still can't get over how rattled Gerrard seemed tonight. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:29 am

Maybe its becasue we dont have any truley top class creative attacking midfielders? Ok Gerrard can get forward but he isnt what I would call top class attacking. He is more all round.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedEire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 am

A lot of Keane's goals for both Spurs and Ireland came from him dropping back, picking ball up in the hole, laying it out wide and then getting into the box for the cross.  He cannot does this for Liverpool as both are wide men are in the hole rather than being out wide.  This is one of the main reason why i feel Keane is struggling to score. 
How many times last night did we see Gerrard try and attempt to break from the middle but end up completely blocked out by both West Ham and Liverpool players - it was shocking to watch.
What can be done ?? I dont know.  But surely some basic instructions for wide men to stay out wide - i dont know how many time both Craig Burley and Steve McManamen mentioned that fact that everything was too narrow.  This has been the common thread consistently with us over the last few months - and this is now with Riera and Benayoun who are wingers.  Please please, Rafa sort it out.
RedEire

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion