Do you think that the boardroom shennanigans... - ... have affected performances ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Do you think that the boardroom shennanigans... - ... have affected performances ?

They have been effected to the detrement- (WORSE)
61%
No there has been no effect (THE SAME)
31%
The performances have been better due to the boardroom wrangle (BETTER)
8%

Total votes : 61

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:30 am

A good tool to use when managing performace as a manager is to simply look at the possible effects of any change.

Its too late to be pro active on this - so I want your reactive view points on it.

Do you think the boardroom unrest over the last 6-8 months will have had an effect on the performances of the first team ?

Vote (above) as follows:

1) If you think its effected our performaces for the worse - choose option 1 "WORSE"

2) If you think there has been no effect choose option 2 - "THE SAME"

3) If you think that the performnces have gone up as a result then choose option 3 - "BETTER"

Please if you are going to voice your opinion then post in the thread as well, so I can quantify your feeling. A Simple Worse, The Same or Better will do, but as is the nature of the beast (BigMick) feel free to write an essay to outline your reasons why.

Thanks
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri May 02, 2008 9:02 am

I have to say yes it made us perform worse. Before any of this happened we were top of the table right? Im not saying if all this had been kept under the carpet that we would be going to Moscow or lifting the premiership but we would have been able to focus better. I cant remember many teams winning big tropheys with constant squabbling from within the club.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:27 am

in my opinion 'no'

we were poor before they came and we still have the  many of the same on pitch problems, this is a footballing issue, not an ownership issue
112-1077774096

Postby kazza » Fri May 02, 2008 9:41 am

peewee thinks we are poor. What a shock.

Might I suggest.. http://atom.smasher.org/highway....Man+Utd
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:46 am

Its a hard one to prove because our results in the league have been better lately.But i do ask myself if there were no politics going on would we have been better?

I would'nt blame it on going out of the C/L though,we were outplayed in the end unfortunately!
One things for sure though,i hope to f.uck its sorted over the summer.Im sure the players feel the same so they can start the season normally rather than in a media circus.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri May 02, 2008 9:47 am

Not really, we were going through a bad patch before the first shots in the boardroom were fired.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kazza » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am

The way I remember it we were playing well then Paco left, we seemed to go off the boil. We improved then the Klinsman thing came out. It has been a rough year for off field turmoil.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby nemolyk » Fri May 02, 2008 10:12 am

maybe,but i donnot konw
i think just luck seperate reds and blues
if you wanna find more,lacking skills is the best answer
利物浦永远不会停止前进的脚步!
You`ll  Never Walk Alone!
nemolyk

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 02, 2008 10:38 am

Bit of both to be honest. It was de-stabilising early on but you could also argue it helped rally the players once they got a couple of results. When we were struggling early-mid season, did Hicks comments and all the Klinsman stuff coming out not long after effect the players? Did they start to wonder whether the manager was going to be around much longer? Did a few of the 'more rotated' players wonder if it might be a good thing for them if the manager did move on? Did all the speculation in the press have any impact?

I think it probably did. Very hard to measure but I expect it had an impact although not as much as some portrayed on here at the time. Peewee reckons it had no impact at all but i think that is going too far the other way. Certainly the press attention and speculation didn't seem to do much for Spurs this season. The players got worse as the pressure on the manager got wound up tighter and tighter by the media. It looked like it might go that way for us but the manager and the players managed to pull out some excellent 'backs to the wall' results, developed a bit of a siege mentality, some momentum and turned things around to some degree. It's been a strange season, it started so promisingly, teetered on the brink of disaster for some time and then we finished strongly to salvage something. I'd say it's been an ok season on the whole but definately one you'd want to put behind you.

I certainly had my doubts about Rafa earlier this season and i still have a few BUT all credit to the guy. Great managers are the ones who can turn things around when progress halts and the team/club start going backwards, the guys who can't buy a win one minute but come out the other side. Fergie has done it time and time again but we all saw what happened to Ged, he made year on year progress, 4th, 3rd then 2nd, couldn't make the final push, the club lost momentum, ground to a halt and went into free-fall. VERY VERY difficult to reverse this but that is what the manager has done this season for me. Even if you are not a Rafa fan, you have to hand it to him. Most would have drowned in the pressure, just look at Martin Jol again.
Last edited by Scottbot on Fri May 02, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri May 02, 2008 10:50 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:but as is the nature of the beast (BigMick) feel free to write an essay to outline your reasons why.

Thanks

With due thanks to the topic starter for giving me his permission to write an essay, on this occasion I'll decline his kind offer.

I wouldn't have thought the "boardroom shennanigans" did us any particular favours, but I would be surprised if many people think that without them we would have finished even one place higher in the league. Making seventy five changes to the starting eleven in the first fifteen games of the season has no impact whatsoever on performance, but "boardroom shennanigans" do? No, not for me. All factors, however small or seemingly insignificant have an impact, and the behind the scenes stuff is no different. Size of impact though and effect on overall achievement? Negligable in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 02, 2008 10:52 am

I don't think it has had much if any effect on our performances or results, but it certainly can't have helped, and maybe Rafa's eye was taken off the ball for a while. Certainly the Reading game showed the pressure to succeed in the CL was allowed to affect a league game (we would probably have lost the game anyway).

I also think it affected team spirit and caused problems in the dressing room as it polarised views.

Would we have won the league without these backroom problems..... no, probably not. I certainly believe the loss of Pako had a greater effect on our results than any problems with our owners.

I do however feel if the problems continue it WILL begin to have an effect on our team and could cause unrest and begin to affect results.
account deleted by request

Postby andy_g » Fri May 02, 2008 10:53 am

i think our form was affected for a short period while uncertainty reigned at its highest 2 or 3 months back. something must have happened since then as its hard to say we've been in bad form towards the end of the season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 am

andy_g wrote:i think our form was affected for a short period while uncertainty reigned at its highest 2 or 3 months back. something must have happened since then as its hard to say we've been in bad form towards the end of the season.

It's only a factor if we lose though Andy. When we went on a sustained winning run, the whole behind the scenes thing was in full flow and nobody mentioned it. Had we have got past Chelsea, (which lets be honest for most of the second half the other night it looked like we probably would) it wouldn't have got a mention either. As we didn't though, it looms back onto the radar when we are looking for reasons why.

That we didn't get past Chelsea had nothing to do with behind the scenes stuff, it was simply that we got edged out in a pulsating two legged tie. I actually thought the team played very well in both legs for long periods. The first half of each match was a bbit patchy as we struggled to cope with slight alterations to our method, but by and large I thought we acquited ourselves very well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 am

its people looking for excuses for on field failures, i have had this stance throughout the boardroom struggle and still have it, its shifting the blame from where the blame really lies.

as as for poor, yes we were playing poorly and we have remained playing poorly hence another trophy less season, out the FA cup to barnsley ffs, struggling to beat much weaker cheaper teams in the PL, if thats not poor then I don't know what is. The CL run has papered over a few more cracks and this is football related, not boardroom related.
112-1077774096

Postby PhiLFC » Fri May 02, 2008 11:45 am

Nope I don't think it had any effect on the team's performance or individual players.  But I would counter that with maybe Rafa was just a little pissed off at the way he was getting treated - I doubt very much that he passed this on to the players.
PhiLFC

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion