Benayoun - Rate him or not?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DanAn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 am

Owzat wrote:
john craig wrote:Personally I don't see why people have a problem with him.  I still think he's a good player.  A bit lightweight maybe, and certainly not top class, but a very useful player to have in the squad or on the bench imo.  He has shown he can pop up with goals and had a decent return last season (double figures I think) despite not always being first choice, and perhaps more importantly has shown that he can come on and change a game (his dribble and pass to set up Torres' equaliser against Chelsea in the CL semi was excellent).

He did score double figures last season, however that's not really a fair reflection of his contribution when you consider that included two hat-tricks - one against non-league Havant & Waterlooville, the other against a Besiktas side we stuffed 8-0. EDIT : He's played 15 times this season and hasn't scored, goals are definitely not the right angle to approach from. His rate is now down to one goal every 5.64 games

He is a player who we fit into roles rather than play in his best position. He doesn't seem keen to play wide, he doesn't get many starts and overall he can come on and make a difference but more often does FA but frustrate. Like S@int said, it's not anticipation whether he's in the team or not, it's disappointment (for him and others), more a venture into the unknown for me. I certainly don't think "oh good, Benayoun's in the side", more like "I wonder if we'll get influential Benayoun or f in useless Benayoun".

So all in all he's not the worst player to have in the squad, but maybe not too much better than Pennant. We could sell him in January, but I'm not convinced we'll get too many offering what we paid for him or more, those who would be interested would likely offer less. I've said before, if we want lots of money then Mascherano is worth a lot and I think we could cope without him (8 wins in 10 games without him this season) Otherwise, if we're selling Benayoun, Aurelio, Pennant and those kind of players, then we would have to sell three or four to buy a good player of £10m+. Failing that we're taking more chances on lower value players who may prove no better or worse than what we sold to fund their purchase.

If I was Rafa then I'd use the above argument to go to the bosses, offer them the option of selling Mascherano or them freeing up £10m+ of CL cash. Who would we buy? Well we need players in as many different positions as we're talking about selling - LB, CF and a creative midfielder would do for starters. How we're going to buy that lot out of selling the players getting mentioned, and improve the team/squad, is a mystery. I'm not sure Pennant and some of the others will want to leave, good wages and as big a club as many will ever play for.

I agree that Benayoun is more currently more valuable than the players I mentioned (except Babel) but what I'm  tying to say is we could sell Pennant and Benayoun and buy a more valuable player better suited to our needs.

Benayoun is never going to get selected as a 2nd striker so he gets stuck with 15 min game time on a wing.  We're better off selling him and Pennant and taking a gamble on a genuine RW which we need.

I just not a big fan of accepting mediocrity and think to be at Liverpool you should be:
A) A starting 11 player
B) An experience player winding down his career (Hyppia) or
C) Young enough that there is still a chance of becoming a starting player.

Hanging on to anyone that doesn't fall into one of these three categories in my opinion is detrimental to the long term success of Liverpool and they'd need to be making a big contribution towards winning trophies. While I could see players like Owen or Heinze doing this. I don't think Benayoun makes anywhere near enough impact to warrant keeping. Particularly if his not happy.
DanAn

Postby shakey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:09 am

zarababe wrote:It's disrespect for the players in the 'team' and the manager - they're carving out moves for themselves in January - bunch of spoilt sulks, they can p*ss off, we need committed ppl willing to give it their all. Its right that players earn the RIGHT to wear the RED SHIRT - You need to show u deserve wearing itl can't blame this one on Rotataion !

:buttrock

Spot on,who the hell do these players think they are,he is hardly a Messi is he!!

Outbursts like this are not helping the club,if he has a problem do it  in house or f##k off :angry:
shakey

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 am

DanAn wrote:I agree that Benayoun is more currently more valuable than the players I mentioned (except Babel) but what I'm  tying to say is we could sell Pennant and Benayoun and buy a more valuable player better suited to our needs.

Benayoun is never going to get selected as a 2nd striker so he gets stuck with 15 min game time on a wing.  We're better off selling him and Pennant and taking a gamble on a genuine RW which we need.

Therein lies a big problem though. To buy a 'genuine RW' of any quality we'd have to sell two or more players. The problem with Rafa is he did just what Houllier did and threw money here, there and everywhere in paying over the odds for mediocrity. That's not such a problem in his first season in charge when a lot of the previous rubbish wasn't up to scratch, but three or four seasons in is a tad worrying. Either that or neither is/was much good at spotting good players, the scouts should have some say in it but I reckon both probably exercise(d) their rights to make their own decisions.

£20.3m for a striker who was good, but never prolific
£7m for a full-back who played for a less than convincing side defensively
£6.7m for a winger from brum who we will have to take losses on
£10m on a striker now converted to RM, probably good enough not to need said RW you mentioned
£5m on a two-bit Brazilian midfielder who is ok but nothing special
£11.5m on a quick player who's not a winger, but not a good enough striker so is used more as a sub/winger than striker
£5m on an attacking midfielder (Benayoun) who was never likely to displace Gerrard in that role and isn't a winger

And some smaller spends, but still you wonder to what end they were signed

£1.85m on Leto who couldn't get a work permit and doesn't look anywhere near good enough
£1.5m on N'Gog, ordinary record at PSG and looking worth about £1.5m in striker's terms which is ok for a Championship-Premiership yo-yo team, but what good is he to a title challenger?
£3m for a back-up keeper who's likely to play maybe six times a season

That's around £72m on 10 players and of whom only one or two look anywhere near up to 1st team regular standards - Kuyt because he's found a new role that he's good in and Keane only because he is being cut some slack. The rest are more or less fringe players whose quality is questionable and the sort of standard that easily got beat at WHL in the cup. I could understand one or two of the signings in his first or even second season in charge, but I believe they were all signed in his third, fourth or last summer. One or two you could understand why, certainly the two latterly mentioned. Not so sure about Babel, a lot to pay for potential which is not what we need right now.

I was very critical of Houllier for signing lots of young kids in his last few seasons, we needed players for the here and now (as was then) not the future. As it happens they didn't stay long enough to fulfil either role at the club, so just translated to wasted money. I guess you have to let the manager buy like he's here for the long term, but maybe the board needs to get a few knowledgable ex-players in to advise on some of these transfers and block a few more. The ex-Liverpool players tend to say it as they see it and don't hold back just because the players wear Liverpool's red
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 am

Benayoun threatens to leave Reds

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has threatened to leave after becoming frustrated at manager Rafa Benitez's policy of using him as a substitute.

The 28-year-old, who joined from West Ham for £5m in 2007, has made just four starts in 11 appearances this season.

Benayoun told Israel's Channel Five TV: "If the situation remains the same over the next few months, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player.

"I hope it changes as I want to stay and prove myself but it won't be easy."

Benayoun made his name at Israeli side Maccabi Haifa and Spanish outfit Racing Santander before moving to West Ham in 2005.

He switched to Anfield in 2007 and resisted a move away this summer despite interest from Italian side Roma and Dutch giants Ajax.  606: DEABTE
While I symphathise with him I am totally disappointed that he is speaking to the press - he cannot hold the club to ransom

TU

The Israeli international has made 41 appearances for Liverpool but he fears that his playing time will remain restricted following the team's good start to the season.

The Reds are joint top of the Premier League with Chelsea, having lost only once, picking up 32 points out of a possible 39.

"The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything," added Benayoun.

"I know I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and that there are many good players like Ryan Babel and Jermaine Pennant who sometimes aren't even in the squad, but it's not much fun sitting on the bench all the time.

"I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool, and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists.

"But there seems to be more competition for places this time, and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.

"Maybe I will have to accept that and start learning another language, such as Italian or French or even Russian."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7737198.stm

what can you say about this one, it seems that when we are doing well some players start to just think for themselves......can you blame them? yes

they come to our team to be apart of our TEAM.
they have a part to play, but if the team is playing well then they need to play better to get their place, there is not point going to the press saying i am going to leave if i dont start, if the manager feels he has better players right now its down to the players that are left out to show they are better than the players starting.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 am

I regard him almost as a kind of Luis Garcia "lite" . Intelligent and pretty good with the ball at his feet. However his comment
"The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything,"
  does indeed say it all, not good enough to nail down an automatic starting spot. Useful squad player, (I'd be happy to see him remain with us) but if he wants to leave he won't be missed.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:27 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:Benayoun needs to be sold on and the funds used to strengthen elsewhere.

Anyone suggesting Babel should be sold is off their trolley. The kid has the potential to make it big time. I agree that he can be frustrating at times but he has the potential to be a match winner. He isn't getting isn't getting a fair crack in the 1st team at the moment but he will before long. I still reckon he's best deployed up top rather than out wide.

Quick comment on Babel. I fully expected him to improve this season along with Lucas. It just isn't happening. He is a very nice guy but his brain is just not quick enough for the Premiership. I know where you are coming from but how long do we wait?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Sarge » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:39 pm

lakes10 wrote:Benayoun threatens to leave Reds

First Babel, now yossi, who's next?

As much as I understand their frustration, he can go f.uck himself up for making such statement in the press.
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby DanAn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm

devaney wrote:
HacksawJimDuggin wrote:Benayoun needs to be sold on and the funds used to strengthen elsewhere.

Anyone suggesting Babel should be sold is off their trolley. The kid has the potential to make it big time. I agree that he can be frustrating at times but he has the potential to be a match winner. He isn't getting isn't getting a fair crack in the 1st team at the moment but he will before long. I still reckon he's best deployed up top rather than out wide.

Quick comment on Babel. I fully expected him to improve this season along with Lucas. It just isn't happening. He is a very nice guy but his brain is just not quick enough for the Premiership. I know where you are coming from but how long do we wait?

2-3 seasons not 10-12 weeks.
DanAn

Postby rafa09 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 pm

My way of thinking is if ANY player does not want to be a member of LFC JUST LEAVE. don,t go to the press moaning just fook off ASP.and good riddance. These players should be HONOURED to wear the LIVERBIRD, makes my blood boil :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
rafa09

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:28 am

devaney wrote:

Till he's given a decent run out of 10 games than we might see some progress not a start every 6-7 games or so , the same for lucas
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am

I understand both Babel and Benayoon's frustration at Liverpool. Footballers join teams to play, not to sit on their ärse.

A lot of people are talking about their "lack" of progression, but in fairness to them, they only get on the pitch for short periods of time and it's difficult to shine in that time. Enough to make a real, informed, judgment anyway.

The bottom line here is that, regardless of how "talented" or "untalented" people think Ryan and Yossi are, the simple fact is, is that there is not place for them in the Liverpool starting 11 at present and their careers are ticking away. In fact, the only place that Rafa puts Babel in is a LM position, which he is patently unsuited too. He's a centre forward and has never been played there for Liverpool, AFAIR.

There are those on here who say that Babel has bags of potential (and some pundits too said last year that this year was Babel's) and some who say he's just cräp. I don't believe, based on his limited appearances, that anyone can make a clear judgment either way. Babel may go in January as a striker for another club and score a brace, but Liverpool, Rafa is trying to fit square pegs in round holes again, like he did with Kuyt.

When Kuyt showed that wasn't up to scoring regularly as a striker, he was shoved out to the right wing. He went on to try and make that area his own, even though the lad had a large number of truly appalling performances. But due to lack of choice, he was picked week in, week out, to the chagrin of other players no doubt. Kuyt has repaid Rafa's faith with being one of Liverpool's better performers in recent games, however.

Babel now finds himself in the same position, but unlike Kuyt, he doesn't have the same level of energy to run about and also unlike Kuyt, he finds himself in an unwinable competition with Riera.

I said earlier that I think Yossi is an above average player and I wouldn't be too sorry to see him go, but I'd be willing to give Babel the benefit of the doubt for a little longer.

I disagree strongly with both of their decisions to go whining to the press about their frankly legitimate grieviances, but understand why they did it. That said, the worst problem with this type of public outletting, is that it may put off other players who may be tempted by a move to Liverpool may be put off, because of fear of a lack of starts / pitchtime.

Final word, in these days of bloated squads, I seriously doubt that Benayoon and Babel are alone in their feelings, not just at Liverpool, but across a number of teams.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 pm

All this talk of babel as a striker - but when has he ever in his career played as a central striker ? never for hollan , never for ajax - it was always as a wide forward .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:49 am

woof woof ! wrote:I regard him almost as a kind of Luis Garcia "lite" . Intelligent and pretty good with the ball at his feet. However his comment
"The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything,"
  does indeed say it all, not good enough to nail down an automatic starting spot. Useful squad player, (I'd be happy to see him remain with us) but if he wants to leave he won't be missed.

I'd say if someone offered £13m+ for Babel or £7m+ for Benayoun then I'd say "bye" at an instant. Players start doubting they want to stay at Liverpool who have their own destiny in their hands should feck off. They get time on the pitch, if they were good enough to command a regular starting place then they'd be in that XI.

It's not as if Keane has been perfect up front so far. Benayoun I have a little more sympathy for, but he must have known GERRARD played for Liverpool when he signed or did he think he could just roll up and take his place? You have to EARN your place on the pitch, or cost £20.3m. It's not as if either player is being kept out by a YTS no hoper or a free transfer. Benayoun has played plenty this season, so has Babel

2008/9

Babel - 14 appearances, 1 goal (as sub vs Man Utd. Benayoun started that game, replaced by Gerrard)

Benayoun - 16 appearances, 0 goals

That's a lot of appearances for two making noises about being unhappy who've done little to warrant better. I'm sure they'd both love to play more minutes, however did either think they could sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world and command a regular starting place based on their performances to date? If Benayoun wanted to start most games then he should have stayed put, Babel should have probably joined him at West Ham and even then I don't expect he'd necessarily have been a first choice
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 pm

could he be the answer to finding wins from draws in the run in?  Can start on either the left or the right, and also seems effective as a sub.

Been very positive lately
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 pm

he certainly has looked very bright lately mate and could give us an extra edge when breaking down teams .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion