Benayoun or riera?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tarek Emam » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 am

riera better than benayon
one of my dreams watch any match for liver in anfield and buy t-shirt steven gerrard
Tarek Emam

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 am

well looking at it now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if riera got the nod ahead of benayoun on sunday. i think his ability to hold on to the ball high up the pitch will be vital.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Benny for me any time. Riera has far less creativity than him. A purely physical approach won't get you goals and wins as proven against Chelsea. With Benayoun on we started to press and attack making many chances.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby TheLad » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Apparently, ManCity is after Benny, we might sell him if they pay the price we want, to make some funds for the January transfer window... 20 million maybe? :D
[url=http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/542476/MANCHESTER-CITY-boss-Mark-Hughes-is-monitoring-Yossi-Benayounrsquos-situation-at-Liverpool
-as-he-prepares-for-the-January-transfer-windowBenayoun-has-hopped-on-to-Cityrsquos-radar-
after-the-midfielder-was-named-on-the-bench-for-last-Sundayrsquos-title-jolting-2-0-defeat
-by-Chelsea-at-Stamford-Bridge.html]http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport....ge.html[/url]
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby Effes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:13 pm

stmichael wrote:well looking at it now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if riera got the nod ahead of benayoun on sunday. i think his ability to hold on to the ball high up the pitch will be vital.

Which all sounds rather logical and clever - but Benayoun is a much better player IMO,
and I dont think having him instead of Riera will suddenly mean we cant hold on to the ball high up the pitch.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby StephSkrtel » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm

For me, it depends what position. I don't like Benayoun on the left, he cuts inside a lot and is not affective enough as he is on the right. Riera had a good first season but I've not seen anything good from him this season so far, he doesnt shoot enough when he is in the perfect position but he can put a good ball into the box.
StephSkrtel

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:37 pm

both of them should be in the team
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skellyred71 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:13 pm

TheLad wrote:Apparently, ManCity is after Benny, we might sell him if they pay the price we want, to make some funds for the January transfer window... 20 million maybe? :D
[url=http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/542476/MANCHESTER-CITY-boss-Mark-Hughes-is-monitoring-Yossi-Benayounrsquos-situation-at-Liverpool

-as-he-prepares-for-the-January-transfer-windowBenayoun-has-hopped-on-to-Cityrsquos-radar-

after-the-midfielder-was-named-on-the-bench-for-last-Sundayrsquos-title-jolting-2-0-defeat

-by-Chelsea-at-Stamford-Bridge.html]http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport....ge.html[/url]

WHY ARE YOU QUOTING THE SUNDAY SCUM LAD!!!!!!!!!! disappointed!!!!!
skellyred71

Postby skellyred71 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:15 pm

for me benni will always create more, at chelsea it was obvious to see for all of us at the match that when benni came on, things started to happen!!!!
skellyred71

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 pm

In many respects it remains a little bit of a daft question for me. One of them is a left midfielder, and one of them patently obviously isn't. If you are looking for a left midfielder, then it is a no contest. If you are looking for someone to play in Gerrards position while Gerrard compensates for the fact that we haven't got anybody to distribute the ball from midfield, then you have a competition worthy of the name. Here, Benayouns slipperyness and perceptive passing nudges him slightly in front, while his ability to grab you a goal makes him much the better option. As a right sided midfielder in Kuyts position, Benayoun would be again much the better option I think.

Overall I prefer Riera as a footballer, but it really depends on where you are asking the players to play.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 am

skellyred71 wrote:
TheLad wrote:Apparently, ManCity is after Benny, we might sell him if they pay the price we want, to make some funds for the January transfer window... 20 million maybe? :D

WHY ARE YOU QUOTING THE SUNDAY SCUM LAD!!!!!!!!!! disappointed!!!!!

Cool down than. The SSN is good enough for you?
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5622698,00.html
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 am

For me Benayoun, more end product than Riera and frankly the only really creative/scoring players we have in our "best XI" are Gerrard, Kuyt, Benayoun and Torres. Put in Riera and you simply decrease the chances of scoring with a minimal increase in the ball retention department. Any and all of our players are capable of losing possession Tommy Cooper style (just like that), you can't expect wingers to take on their full-backs or defender in front of them and not lose the ball from time to time - noone is THAT good.

Would I take £20m for Benayoun? No. Like with Alonso, he is a player we know what he can do and is a valuable asset to the team. We know what Rafa does with lump sums of around £20m, he buys Keanes, Aquilanis and Johnsons and while Benayoun has shown what he can do, the rest have yet to prove (or failed to prove) up to or more than the 3x to 4x cost over Yossi. But if we can roger Citeh the way the bitters did over Lescott then why not, Benayoun is probably worth anywhere between £10m and £20m so why not push the citizens for more than that.

What do people reckon Riera and Benayoun are worth? I mean trying to be as objective and honest in appraisal, no sentimental or silly prices, what they are genuinely worth. I reckon Riera probably around what we paid for him, maybe a little less than £8m, maybe a little more. If we got a bid of £12m+ I'd consider it. Benayoun cost £5m, I reckon he's probably now worth £12m+ easily, I think he proved a relative bargain in the end. And to throw in Lucas as he cost £5m (by some reports, depends which you believe), I reckon he's probably still worth the same and since he's surrounded by players worth many times more, he tends to get stick perhaps he doesn't deserve.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 am

the two of them are far to inconsistant to hold down a place in the starting 11, Bennayoun can play a blinder and be woeful the next 2-3 games.

But in saying that Benny gives us a better option on the right than Dirk, as much as I luv Dirk he shouldnt be guarenteed a starting position every time we play cause sometimes he can be awful, he should play in his natural position upfront.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm

until aquilani is fit to play Benayoun should be playing in Gerrard's position and Gerrard should be playing in the middle...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Benyoun at the moment should be considered a key player, he really does have a big influence in our attacking football whereas Riera doesnt have as much.

If Man City did approach I would only sell him for around 25mill and then bag Silva.
Fauxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion