Benayoun - Rate him or not?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 am

Recently I've picked up on a few people having digs at Benayoun on other threads on here.  With January not a million miles away, Benayoun is being touted by some as one of the more likely players to be sold.

Personally I don't see why people have a problem with him.  I still think he's a good player.  A bit lightweight maybe, and certainly not top class, but a very useful player to have in the squad or on the bench imo.  He has shown he can pop up with goals and had a decent return last season (double figures I think) despite not always being first choice, and perhaps more importantly has shown that he can come on and change a game (his dribble and pass to set up Torres' equaliser against Chelsea in the CL semi was excellent).

So what's the problem?  He's not first choice, we aren't relying on him, and I can't think off the top of my head any game where he has been completely sh.it.  More often than not he puts in a decent performance.  He seems happy to be a squad player, has a good attitude and is a good professional.  Once again I'll reiterate - I think he's a good player, and I can't fathom why some are choosing to single him out for abuse - is it because Kuyt has scored a couple of goals and we need a new scapegoat?  Do people really think he should be shown the door ahead of someone like Pennant for example?  I don't.  Any other strong opinions on this?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:17 am

Agreed JC.

we got him for 5m, not expensive, a good squad player who can do the job when needed. He is a player who can change the pattern of the game and chip in a few assists and goals.

offers alot of solidity with the ball, and a decent footballer. Im happy with him as a squad player.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am

He's effin' cack, mate. Get rid of him like a shot....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Kukilon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:03 am

Good squad player and he should not be sold.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:04 am

No really strong views but he's a bit part player for me. I don't really rate him very highly, and if he was sold I think we could get someone much better for not a lot more.

My reaction to him being picked for our game against W.B.A. was disappointment not anticipation, which says it all for me.

Having said all that at £5million he is worth what we paid for him, and while I wouldn't like to think of him as a first team player he is a reasonable bit part player.

Not really my cup of tea John, but I do agree he is better than Pennant.... not much consolation mate but the best I could do :D
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 am

He's a useful squad player with a reasonable level of ability and good intelligence.

His best performances have come from the right, or through the middle. When he's on the left, invariably he struggles to get into games.

I wouldn't like to see him offloaded unless it's to fund someone of better quality, and I'd much sooner see Pennant go before him.
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:14 am

john craig wrote:Recently I've picked up on a few people having digs at Benayoun on other threads on here.  With January not a million miles away, Benayoun is being touted by some as one of the more likely players to be sold.

Personally I don't see why people have a problem with him.  I still think he's a good player.  A bit lightweight maybe, and certainly not top class, but a very useful player to have in the squad or on the bench imo.  He has shown he can pop up with goals and had a decent return last season (double figures I think) despite not always being first choice, and perhaps more importantly has shown that he can come on and change a game (his dribble and pass to set up Torres' equaliser against Chelsea in the CL semi was excellent).

So what's the problem?  He's not first choice, we aren't relying on him, and I can't think off the top of my head any game where he has been completely sh.it.  More often than not he puts in a decent performance.  He seems happy to be a squad player, has a good attitude and is a good professional.  Once again I'll reiterate - I think he's a good player, and I can't fathom why some are choosing to single him out for abuse - is it because Kuyt has scored a couple of goals and we need a new scapegoat?  Do people really think he should be shown the door ahead of someone like Pennant for example?  I don't.  Any other strong opinions on this?

He's a decent little player. I've always thought him to be a poor man's Luis Garcia although he is a steadier player, less likely to do something spectacular but also less likely to give the ball away trying something stupid. He came off the bench to make an impact on a few occasions last season and is capable of doing the same again this season. Like a lot of fans i'd like to see him play through the middle a little more. He can do a job on the flanks but it tends to be a bit workmanlike but he is a clever player, who can see a pass and he's got quick feet feet (particularly in and around the box) and it would be interesting to see him play behind Torres in Rafa's 4-2-3-1. I'm sure we'd see the best of him in this formation. As for the scapegoat stuff, unfortunately some people NEED to have someone to criticise whether we win, lose or draw.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:20 am

We are smashing the reserves and have too much rotation because of players like Benayoun and Pennant. Simply we have too many players capable of being squad players. Benayoun is decent but is soft and is bullied by strong defenders. I :censored: hate seeing that happen to liverpool players.   

I'd rather sell both Benayoun and Pennant and hopefully raise enough cash to get a better right winger. How much better would we be if it were someone like Maxi Rodriguez rather than Pennant/Benayoun.
DanAn

Postby Bam » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:55 am

When he first joined from West Ham I had pretty high hopes of him, nothing out of this world mind. He is a clever player with a good footballing brain and we see glimpses of that every now and again. But all to often he becomes a periphial figure in a lot of our games, and sometimes you'd be excused from thinking he was still on the bench with his ghostly performances.

If an offer of 5-6 million came in for him I'd take it personally, but in saying that I'd be looking to sell Pennant, Lucas, Aurelio and Voronin more eagerly I must admit.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:09 am

I think benayouns a waste of space... hes a decent footballer but definately not the kind of player to shine at a club like liverpool.. if he was at ManUtd or Arsenal he would have been great for them but cant see him being anything but a bit part playr for liverpool..
IMO Pennant, Kuyt and even ElZhar would make better right wingers than Benayoun if only for the width and balance they provide us with.. Given the defensive style we play i think that the only position Benayoun can impress in is that attacking midfielder role in the 4-5-1 but then again i dont expect us to play one upfront unless its gerrard playing that role (even then i wouldnt think its the formation we should be playing)..
Anyways... With Kuyt, Pennant, and Elzhar all able to play in the right side i think that Benayoun could very well be on his way out soon especially if we'r looking to add a right winger to our squad..

Riera has been brilliant for us so far.. not because he creates goals... not because his crossing is brilliant and leads to goalscoring opportunities... simply because he provides us with very good balance down the left side... sort of like kewell did when he played towards the end of the 2006/2007 season if im not wrong... solid and consistent and a good attacking option... benayoun offers very little in terms of balance down the right hand side and while his dribbling and control are good i dont think hes the Type of player we need down the right flank...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:55 am

Don't think Benitez will sell benayoun...he gives Beneitez loads of OPTIONS (and as we all know..."OPTIONS" is beneitez's fav word).

I also think Benayoun is a very good player...He is playing out of position most of the times for us (as his best position is support striker).IMO...i think benayoun is pretty similar to luca modric (SP ?). A very intelligent player who suffers when he is put on the flanks.

But we do have too many players on our books now.... so wouldn't mind getting rid of him...if he helps finance a move for a top player.

But i would get rid of Pennant, Babel and Kuyt 1st before benayoun.... Benayoun could easily do a similar job ..and cost less than each of them.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:08 am

Bam wrote:.

If an offer of 5-6 million came in for him I'd take it personally, but in saying that I'd be looking to sell Pennant, Lucas, Aurelio and Voronin more eagerly I must admit.

Sell Aurelio (our best left back) and leave Dossena? Explain how that would be wise? ???
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 am

Rush Job wrote:
Bam wrote:.

Sell Aurelio (our best left back) and leave Dossena? Explain how that would be wise? ???

Can I be bothered ?

Suffice to say if he is our "best"  :laugh: then we'll need a new LB in January.

Aurelio has had time here to prove himself and he hasnt, not in my book. So what if he's been unlucky with injuries, Harry Kewell had injuries to and that didnt stop certain people wanting rid of him (me included) and when fit he was a damn sight more useful than Aurelio.

When Aurelio has played, he has looked from awful to average. At Eastlands he a poor game and looked a liability, and he has done in many of the matches he's played for us. He looks nervous and plays like a rabbit caught in a set of head lights. Most teams RM's this season have ripped him a new @rsehole, his defending is poor and as I said he is a liability.

Considering were able to give players like Alonso and Kuyt time to find their form. I think its only fair to say the same for Dossena. Again he has looked rather shakey at the back, but not as bad as Aurelio and his missplaced passes. I reckon given time though Dossena would be the better fullback of the two. He's definately better going forward, he's quicker and stronger and given time he'll prove he's better defensively.

I'd sell the injury prone freebie, and look to make a little profit from him. Lets be honest here, we wont get seven million back for Dossena at the moment. So business and footballing wise it would be better to sell Aurelio and we couldnt do much worse in bringing Insua into the first team. Until at least  Dossena finds his feet or we get a quality LB.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby benjy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:55 am

could i point out that aurelio was the one whose pass set up keane for his second against WBA.
and if i'm not mistaken, it was a pass which gerrard or alonso would have been proud of.
the guy is definitely better than dossena. we can't sell him now or we'll be stuck with the italian. and even if we do bring in a new left back, i would keep aurelio as 2nd choice rather than dossena.
benjy

Postby Bam » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:00 am

could i point out that aurelio was the one whose pass set up keane for his second against WBA

Wow !

He didnt do all that in 90 minutes did he, feck it give him an MBE

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion