Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=390005
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Bav, you can post hi-res clips of goals but you haven't figured out how to properly link a URL yet? ???  Get it sorted, lad! :D

THE LINK
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm

What a tremendously sh*t piece of journalism.

"Benayoun Agent Drops Early Exit Threat" is the headline.

"If Yossi won't be involved enough we will think of moving to a medium-sized team," Ronen Katzav said on Israeli radio."

- is the strongest of the few quotes in there.

"The target was to try and integrate in the team and I'm sure he will play a lot. Naturally, Yossi wants to be in the squad and knows he has a lot of work to do but if he won't play for a long period we will think again."

- is the basis of the piece.

We're three games into the season, and he started one of them. Hilarious. :laugh:
ivor_the_injun

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Bottom line: we've played three matches and Benayoun's started one of them.  Hardly a cause for complaint, I wouldn't think?  He's new and there are quality players throughout the squad so he should be neither surprised nor especially aggrieved at how things have shaken out so far.  So, Yossi, it's gut check time.  If you've got the bottle to train hard and force your way into the team, you'll have a future with the club.  If, however, you're going to get your agent to pop off to the Israeli press every time you get a little impatient, then you will certainly get your wish and be promptly returned to a mid-sized club to match your mid-sized ambition.  The ball's in your court, lad.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm guessing if we saw the quotes in context, it'd be even more harmless.

It was on Israeli radio, he's the poster boy for Israeli football (and Israeli sport in general), and I'm guessing the interviewer pushed his agent with something like "THIS IS INSANE! HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AND HE'S NOT STARTING EVERY GAME! WHAT CAN YOU, MR AGENT, SAY TO ALL THE FAMILIES LISTENING OUT THERE THAT CAN MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER ABOUT THIS CRIMINAL STATE OF AFFAIRS?"

I don't know why, but I just imagine the Israeli radio DJs shouting. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:31 pm

i think its made up. i dont think any player in his right mind would complain about the lack of first team action after just 3 games. he should pick up tips from Crouch and Fowler.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Whether these quotes are accurate or not, I think this will be an issue with several players this season.  We've already seen the press make a stink about Crouch and now these noises about Benayoun.  I can see similar issues with the likes of Sissoko, as well.  Rafa will have a job on his hands keeping players at the periphery of the squad happy.  Personally, I can sympathize with the frustration because every player--especially talented players like we've got--are desperate to play.  But, if lads start mouthing off to the press every time they're left out of the squad, then my sympathy is going to evaporate.  The professional thing to do is to voice these concerns behind closed doors and not in the sports pages.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby roberto green » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Its just a load of sh it more media tactics to unsettle liverpool to go along with the penalty decision and the panel giving there verdict on heinze,everyone is scared because L.f.c are BACK!!!!!
roberto green

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Daily Mail: Benayoun Article

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun is already unhappy at his lack of first team opportunities on Merseyside and his agent Ronen Katzav said: "He will think about moving to a medium-sized team if his chances remain restricted."

The Israeli playmaker started in the Champions League tie against Toulouse but didn't even make the the squad for the Premier League games against Aston Villa and Chelsea.

Katzav went on: "When we first met with Rafa Benítez, he asked for a lot of patience since there is a huge squad at Liverpool.
"We don't analyse each match. Yossi has patience and motivation and he will get his chance.

"When you are taking a decision to move to Liverpool, you are prepared for all possibilities and Yossi decided to follow his heart. The target was to try and integrate in the team and I'm sure he will play a lot.

"Naturally, Yossi wants to be in the squad and knows he has a lot of work to do but if he won't play for a long period we will think again." 

Yossi has patience and motivation and he will get his chance.

???

Patience, really?

I think we can all agree that Yossi has every right to be pissed off already after a whole TWO games that he's not been involved. I think Rafa is totally wrong in this case and should be ashamed for trying Benayouns patience like this.

:p

In all seriousness this really does set the alarm bells ringing if the players agent is bleating to the press already about his clients lack of football. It's been clear to him from the very start that rotation is the policy at Anfield and if he doesn't like that then he shouldn't have signed for us.
As for the 'maybe we'll look to go to a medium sized club' comment, obviously he spent a lot of time talking to Lucas Neill at West Ham and his Ideals have rubbed off on him.

** That is assuming that this ain't just bollox journalism as usual. **  :D
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Whether these quotes are accurate or not, I think this will be an issue with several players this season.  We've already seen the press make a stink about Crouch and now these noises about Benayoun.  I can see similar issues with the likes of Sissoko, as well.  Rafa will have a job on his hands keeping players at the periphery of the squad happy.

I think this is one of Mourinho's strengths as a manager, its been said somewhere that his man managment skills are very good. And that he is able to make each and every squad member feel a vital part to there cause with assurances I suppose.

Rafa on the other doesnt appear to have that, of course I dont know what goes on behind closed doors or at Melwood. But he isnt known for his 'fatherly' attributes if you get my drift, so I feel this is going to be another area of test for him.
In saying that though if players did express there unhappiness at not being played regularly to the press, I can see Rafa saying 'bye bye' then. :D
66-1112520797

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Whether these quotes are accurate or not, I think this will be an issue with several players this season.  We've already seen the press make a stink about Crouch and now these noises about Benayoun.  I can see similar issues with the likes of Sissoko, as well.  Rafa will have a job on his hands keeping players at the periphery of the squad happy.

I think this is one of Mourinho's strengths as a manager, its been said somewhere that his man managment skills are very good. And that he is able to make each and every squad member feel a vital part to there cause with assurances I suppose.

Rafa on the other doesnt appear to have that, of course I dont know what goes on behind closed doors or at Melwood. But he isnt known for his 'fatherly' attributes if you get my drift, so I feel this is going to be another area of test for him.
In saying that though if players did express there unhappiness at not being played regularly to the press, I can see Rafa saying 'bye bye' then. :D

yes mourinho is a great man manager
his players love him

maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Bav, you can post hi-res clips of goals but you haven't figured out how to properly link a URL yet? ???  Get it sorted, lad! :D

THE LINK

Ha ha yeah i actually didnt (until now) thanks though

:D

Apologies for not putting more other than the link. Personaly Im hoping this is just the usual dumb agent talk and that hes not already getting fustrated.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:03 pm

goal.com has proven to have 0 credibility as far as I've seen.

Benayoun knows this is not West Ham and Racing de Santander and he should know where he's moving.

As Badbob says some players will be playing less with a deeper squad. And the press will keep trying to find weak spots to try to unsettle Liverpool. Remember, if we rotate because we rotate, if we don't rotate, because the players are unsettled. If we don't sign up because we're skint, if we do, because we do.

No matter what we do they write shíte. So I wouldn't believe a word.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Bamaga man wrote:I think this is one of Mourinho's strengths as a manager, its been said somewhere that his man managment skills are very good. And that he is able to make each and every squad member feel a vital part to there cause with assurances I suppose.

Of course, the astronomical wages have nothing to do with it. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:20 pm

Bamaga man wrote:I think this is one of Mourinho's strengths as a manager, its been said somewhere that his man managment skills are very good. And that he is able to make each and every squad member feel a vital part to there cause with assurances I suppose.

Rafa's man management skills are as good as any IMO, I don't see any evidence to suggest Mourinho trumps him in this area of management. I wouldn't describe the test of having good man management skills as being a test of how 'fatherly' he is. He appears to keep his boundaries between himself and his players, just like most other top managers do in order to maintain a professional relationship.

.....and the astronomical wages do help as Lando points out.
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion