Are manchester united really in decline?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Another embarassing result for them today, although its hard to read much into it other than one can say that United's squad players are not as formidable as they once were.

The recent splash out on Vidic and Evra - two very good players - show that the Glaziers appear to have faith in Ferguson, and if I was a betting man, he'll probably still be at the helm next season.

I had expected some sort of spectacular crisis after Keane left and they were dumped out of Europe where they would go through a terrible patch domestically, but this hasn't happened, and credit to Ferguson to pick the players up again.

In the general context I still say that they are in decline, although not in the spectacular fashion I had expected (like us when Daglish left), at least, not yet.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:42 pm

I would still say that after todays result there must still be questions over Fergies position with him picking the team that he did, who the feck where half of those players he put out? I'd be surprised if half of the mancs there knew who some of them were! It does point out also that there youth system is bery much in decline if they aren't beating a conference side like burton, and with nothing much coming through the ranks things could be very sticky for them in years to come.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:32 pm

what has just occured to me Blackburn v Manure in the CC Semi is about to kick off and manure have put out the first team but you look at the bench and its sh!t......they dont have any quality in depth anymore.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 pm

:sleep  What a borin game that was jesus christ.
Robbie Savage dirty cheating :censored:, best part of the game was the scrap apart from that aload of rubbish.
But bet your bottom dollar it wont be the case next week against us.
Good thing for us though they have more games that they MUST win before they play us.
They have no creativity what so ever, hope Stevie is on form in the next game against them I really want us to beat them at Old Trafford.
And rob that second place off em.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:22 am

JBG wrote:Another embarassing result for them today, although its hard to read much into it other than one can say that United's squad players are not as formidable as they once were.

The recent splash out on Vidic and Evra - two very good players - show that the Glaziers appear to have faith in Ferguson, and if I was a betting man, he'll probably still be at the helm next season.

I had expected some sort of spectacular crisis after Keane left and they were dumped out of Europe where they would go through a terrible patch domestically, but this hasn't happened, and credit to Ferguson to pick the players up again.

In the general context I still say that they are in decline, although not in the spectacular fashion I had expected (like us when Daglish left), at least, not yet.

Large Empires tend not to disintegrate overnight but gradually go into decline and i think we have been seeing that these last couple of seasons. Like Liverpool of the 90s they will still always be around the place but it wont be too long before the pundits are saying.....Gee how long ago was it that ManU won a major trophy.
This is not end but the beginning of the end  :D

mmm may be playing too much Rome total war at moment
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am

Ferguson is going soft: why on earth is he indulging Rio Ferdinand and Christiano Ronaldo?

Ronaldo's discipline at times is appalling. He was an absolute disgrace at Benfica and his tackle in the Man City game was outrageous.

The Ferguson of old wouldn't have tolerated that. Ronaldo would have gotten a clip around the ear, told to shape up, tow the line or ship out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:03 am

I think you have a good point there.Maybe the players now have no fear of him,maybe it was the wrath of roy keane they feared. He gives me the impression that ,he always thinks his players are innocent nomatter how blatent the offense is.
its bloody maddening too.

I think also,Fergie is waiting on this team of his clicking into gear,and playing the old way.I know he has a few injury hit players but i really cant see them getting much better. There was a time when teams were afraid to attack them (some still are) but that has changed too.

One of the best sights to see in premiership football is fergie spitting mad  :D Trotting off and throwing the chewing gum out in a strump-watch out for it - when we sweep them aside :eyebrow
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:21 pm

European nights

For the first time in a decade, United are out of Europe before Christmas. So what are fans going to do now instead of watching the football? Six things to do in Manchester to become a better European:

For more than a decade, United fans have spent their evenings watching Van Nistelrooy and the rest in Champions League action at Old Trafford or on the telly.

European Cup: just out of reach
But the unthinkable has happened: United are out before Christmas! And after finishing bottom of their group, they haven’t even got the UEFA Cup to fall back on. Unlike Bolton.

So what are you going to do now on a Wednesday night in January? Tune into Sky Sports 1 to watch another legendary European night at Anfield? No, thought not.

Well, look on the bright side. You may be out of Europe. But we can help. Here are a few suggestions on how you can be a better European:

Portuguese whine

Benfica left a bad taste in the mouth. But you can develop a nose for fine European wines by taking a wine tasting course! Portland Wines run courses for beginners in the Tasting Room above the Hale Shop in Hale, down the road from Keano’s place! The Avoid the Mateus Rose from Lisbon though – you might find it a little difficult to swallow. Santé! Go to: www.portlandwine.co.uk/

Talking Italian

Maybe it’s time to learn that European language you always said you would. Take a night school course in Beginners Italian and you could learn to say: 'Where is the San Siro stadium?' [Por favor, dove il stadio di San Siro?]. Hmm... maybe keep that one for the future. Anyway, there are 'Italian, Beginners, Entry 3' courses beginning in January. Contact your local authority. Or the Workers Educational Association on www.wea.org.uk/

Spanish steps

OK. So it’s not the Mancunian way to do that Latin hip-swivelling thing. But a few lessons in Spanish salsa dancing and you could soon be moving with the elegance of Villareal’s midfield matador Riquelme. Sign up for dance classes at the Instituto Cervantes on Deansgate. Go to: http://manchester.cervantes.es/

Ein bitter, danke

More of a drinker than a dancer? There’s a great web guide to the best German beer in Manchester and the bars that sell it. Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen may be off the European tour this year, but you can always drown your sorrows in a stein full of Krombacher at Bar Centro or the Marble Arch Beer House. Go to: www.germanbeerguide.co.uk.manc.html

Le prawn sandwich

Master the art of French cuisine by doing a cookery course at South Trafford College in West Timperley and impress the missus with a good coq au vin! OK, it won't match up to a candlelit dinner for two on the Champs Elysees before the Champions League Final next May, but she’ll get over it. (Which is more than you will). Contact www.stcoll.ac.uk/

Touch your dreams

OK not strictly in Manchester - but strongly recommended for the likes of Messrs Rooney, Ronaldo and Ferdinand. Drive 35 miles down the road and you can almost touch your European dreams. On display at the Anfield Museum are Liverpool's five European Cups including the one won that miraculous night in Istanbul. Maybe too much to stomach, but it could help you focus on what winning your home games next time you're in Big Cup. And hey, what else are you doing? Booking strongly recommended: go to http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/tour.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manches....e.shtml

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 pm

laza wrote:
JBG wrote:Another embarassing result for them today, although its hard to read much into it other than one can say that United's squad players are not as formidable as they once were.

Large Empires tend not to disintegrate overnight but gradually go into decline and i think we have been seeing that these last couple of seasons. Like Liverpool of the 90s they will still always be around the place but it wont be too long before the pundits are saying.....Gee how long ago was it that ManU won a major trophy.
This is not end but the beginning of the end  :D

mmm may be playing too much Rome total war at moment

Its a good point that mate.
This is the 3rd season now that they have not won the league, and by the looks of it come in the top 2.
I think things had gone stale for fergie a few seasons ago, i mentioned it to a few of the lads and they gave me stick with all the usual never write united off :censored:.
Now i am not naive enough to think the wheels have totally fallen off, but just think what another manager would of done with the amount of money Ferguson has spent over the last three years or so.
He has known he needed to replace Keane and has brought in the likes of Djemba Djemba, Liam Miller and Kleberson.
It was obviously a mammoth task to replace the best central midfielder of the last 10 years or so, but at the end of the day he has had 3 years or so to plan, and who do they have at the moment ?
Fletcher Smith O'Shea Scholes, thats is absolutely shocking management no matter how you look at things.
Fletcher is neat and tidy but imo neither here nor there, what i mean by that is that he is not an attacking midfielder (1 or 2 goals in his united career) nor does he break up play and fulfill his defensive duties.
O'Shea is not a bad player, but to be playing centre midfield for manchester united...it astonishes me.
Scholes - a brilliant goalscoring midfielder on his day and one of the best premiership players of the last 10 years or so.
But his goals have dried up over the last 2 seasons, and if you take that away he doesn't offer a great deal when compared with the likes of Alonso & Gerrard.
Then there's Smith ???
A decent striker imo, not a bad footballer, but NEVER a centre midfielder.
I dont care if he does like to put his foot in or not, he is indisciplined and will never dictate the tempo of a premiership match.
The manager has allowed this to happen despite spending millions and i am so happy that i can see the tide coming in on them so fast.
Fergusons only noteworthy contribution to the immediate future of united from the last 3 seasons is the signing of a scouser.
And if united continue to slide he will be off, he has already shown that loyalty means nothing.
I hope the Glazers allow Ferguson to continue because imo he is slowly but surely undoing all the good he has done over the last 20 years.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:50 pm

How many times have we heard the line as Man UTD players trot off the pitch at half time a goal or two behind "They'll feel the full blast of the hairdryer at half time!"

One of the main problems now is that the hairdryer is more like a ferret blowing down a straw, the players have become immune to it.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:34 am

Its also down to a change in times. The amounts of money players get now (especially the big names). Superstardom,and Fergie decides to switch it on at half-time--
:wwww BLAH BLAH BLAH
:D :censored: off Fergie ya :censored:.
I could see the team get a bashing but not so much individuals. They need to get a rollicking on the pitch,during the game-The way Keane did.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:41 am

Its quite ironic i was very much looking forward to Fergie retirement while he was on top a couple of seasons ago and quite gutted when he changed his mind. Now i hope he stays as long as possible.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 pm

The current UTD players are pansies, the Spice Boys of their time.

Back in the 1990s Ferguson had a dressing room of men, real players. Schmeichel, Keane, Ince, Hughes, Contona, Robson et al might not necessarily be the chaps you'd share a pint with, but they knew how to stand up and be counted.

Out of the current crop there is only Rooney, who is still only a boy, possibly Alan Smith (I'm struggling now) and Gabriel Heinze, who is an excellent player and a tough character, but is injured.

The heads are down at half time, Ferguson comes out screaming and spitting and what you have is Christiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney in a sulk. Rather us than them.
Last edited by JBG on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:34 pm

JBG wrote:How many times have we heard the line as Man UTD players trot off the pitch at half time a goal or two behind "They'll feel the full blast of the hairdryer at half time!"

One of the main problems now is that the hairdryer is more like a ferret blowing down a straw, the players have become immune to it.

I agree ..............

in his time there the players must have heard everything he has to say loads of times.....
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:00 am

Short Answer to the main topic in the title: YES lol
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion