Players that turned out to be flops

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Nick Barmby kind of flopped aswel.
Never really got going with us.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Joe Cole  :wwww  Completely forgot about him.
Right up there that one is  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 pm

redshade » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 pm wrote:Nick Barmby kind of flopped aswel.
Never really got going with us.

Overlooked as a bad 'un as he was part of the triple cup winning squad. Was keen to f**k off the min Terry Venibles wanted him at Leeds.

Joe Cole is now playing in the lower leagues in the USA. Was in League 1 before that.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 am

7_Kewell » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:43 pm wrote:I had one good season at the start.... :D

:D  :D  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 am

Aquilani was a disaster..Big Andy..Aspas...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 am

I have a theory that people had already made their minds up that Aquilani was sh'ite before he even got a game. His stats are not good but far from disastrous: 2 goals and 6 assists in 28 games, many of which he didnt start.

"Aquilani made his first Premier League start against Wolves on 26 December 2009 and received a standing ovation from the Kop when he was substituted in the 84th minute for Daniel Pacheco.[22] Aquilani next started for Liverpool in their 2–0 win over Bolton Wanderers, where he got his second assist for Liverpool, again setting up Dirk Kuyt. He scored his first goal for Liverpool on 15 March 2010 against Portsmouth and he also assisted Fernando Torres for the fourth Liverpool goal. He was voted man of the match by the fans on Liverpool's official website. Aquilani also gained the man of the match award in his next Liverpool league start, against Fulham in a goalless draw at Anfield. In his next start for Liverpool he finished the match with three assists during a 4–0 away win against Burnley On 29 April 2010 he scored a goal against Atlético Madrid in the Europa League, cancelling out Atlético's first leg goal from Diego Forlán by scoring moments before half-time. Despite a great performance from Aquilani on the night, Liverpool eventually went out of the semi-finals on the away goal rule after Yossi Benayoun had put Liverpool 2–0 up, as Forlán scored his second of the tie in exta-time to take the aggregate score to 2–2.[23] Aquilani won the LFC Man Of The Match award again after his performance.[24] Aquilani also played in Liverpool's last 2 games of the season, a 2–0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea at Anfield[25] and a goalless draw away to Hull City at the KC Stadium.[26] In total, Aquilani played 26 times in his debut season for the reds, scoring twice but rarely playing the full 90 minutes."
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Loads of players have bombed here but out of all those that have left for greener pastures how many have actually gone on to replicate or indeed improve on their time with us. Being honest I can't think of many at all.
(1) Xavi Alonso.
(2) Javier Mascherano.
(3) luis Suarez.
(4) Steven Mc Manaman.

That's pretty much all I can come up with and I might have included Owen in that as he did have what I would class as a good season when he went to Madrid but after that he always looked half the player he was. Not sure about Sterling either as in 2 years he hasn't improved at all, He still looks like a headless chicken with Nitros in his boots.

Is there any others folks think went on to greener pastures ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:04 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:55 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 am wrote:I have a theory that people had already made their minds up that Aquilani was sh'ite before he even got a game. His stats are not good but far from disastrous: 2 goals and 6 assists in 28 games, many of which he didnt start.

:no , Aquilani was generally welcomed by the fans and certainly the members in here.

His quality wasn't questioned but his ability to stay fit and injury free was a concern for many. A concern that was justified considering we signed him in August but due to an injury he didn't make an appearance in the league until November (he came on as a late sub)

He also go injured in a pre season friendly the following year and made just two appearances for the club that season and we shipped him out on loan.

For the money we spent on him (around £18million) he deffo deserves to be in the "Flop" box.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

The lad had talent and passion but was unlucky with injury? I have seen far worse players through the years who could easily be labelled a flop.
As I said, his stats arent that good but "flop" is harsh in my opinion.
Thommo's perm

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:10 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:46 pm wrote:Loads of players have bombed here but out of all those that have left for greener pastures how many have actually gone on to replicate or indeed improve on their time with us. Being honest I can't think of many at all.
(1) Xavi Alonso.
(2) Javier Mascherano.
(3) luis Suarez.
(4) Steven Mc Manaman.

That's pretty much all I can come up with and I might have included Owen in that as he did have what I would class as a good season when he went to Madrid but after that he always looked half the player he was. Not sure about Sterling either as in 2 years he hasn't improved at all, He still looks like a headless chicken with Nitros in his boots.

Is there any others folks think went on to greener pastures ?

Many think Owen was under used at Madrid, just been looking at his stats whilst there. Wiki says "During his time at Real Madrid, Owen scored 18 goals from 41 games, only 15 of which were starts" which is pretty impressive.
His career started to go down hill when he suffered a long term injury soon after joining Newcastle.

Agree with you about Sterling, the pace is still there but the brain's not yet found. I do sometimes wonder how long Guardiola will give him.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

We tried so hard to get the next Zinedine Zidane we tried twice both flopped, Bruno Cheyrou and then Anthony Le Tallac  :no

Houllier felt he had first dibs on Frances finest developing players but Wenger always got there first and we got fed the rubbish.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Sinama Pongolle and Le tallec were meant to be hot prospects.
Neither blossomed.

Anyone remember Sean Dundee..
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

only me » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 am wrote:Aquilani was a disaster..Big Andy..Aspas...

Aspas is a strange one, he was awful for us but the fella clearly has talent, in fact only Messi, Suarez and Ronaldo have scored more goals in La Liga this season, Aspas is ahead of the likes of Griezemann, Neymar, Bale, Benzema etc despite playing for one of the lesser lights. He finished high up the scoring charts last season as well I seem to remember.
I remember the Spanish lad who used to post on here Sabre saying Aspas was a good player and it's looks like he was right.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Yeah your right he has been scoring for Celta this season, just checked it up.
I can't remember his playing with us. I don't think he scored at all.
According to soccerbase he scored 1 goal in a FA cup tie.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 am

How about Ryan Babel guys?  :D

Supposed to be the next Thierry Henry. But he came to Merseyside chillin, rappin, not caring whether he gets to play or not, and when he comes on he would just run fast and into defenders  :laugh:

Don't even know where he is now...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion