Le flops what houllier bought - And the consequences because of them

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ALONSO » Mon May 08, 2006 7:42 pm

What do you reckon the chances of getting swp and van nistlerooy are. If we fork out the cash and managed to sign them I think they would make a huge difference. swp will not wanna stay at chelsea cos his lack of appearances have cost him a world cup place. Also ive read that quedrue wants to play for us how do you lot rate him.
ALONSO

Postby MASTER » Tue May 09, 2006 3:02 pm

STMICHAEL,
All clubs waste money Man U spent £60m Veron and Ferdinand and got rid of Forlan for £2m and then he scored 25 goals in one season in spain.
Then Chelsea Wright-Phillips for £21m, Mutu for £15m, Veron £15m, Carvalho £20m, Drogba and Essien for £50m.
and just think about the bargains we have got £10m for alonso, £5.6m for Sissoko, £6m for Reina, £5m for Kewell, £4m for Riise and combined £5m for Henchoz and Hyypia.
MASTER

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue May 09, 2006 5:00 pm

Alonso,

I can't see us paying £21million + for Shaun Wright-Phillips. On the same token I cannot see Mourinho letting Shaun Wright-Phillips leave for another top Premiership club, and especially one that is rapidly bridging the gap on them. I would like to see Wright-Phillips play for us (minus the cheating) He's a good player altho I think he :censored: his career up by signing for Chelsea. If he continues to find himself isolated from the starting eleven and even the bench than he really does have to consider his future at Chelsea. If he doesn't acknowledge this than he is indeed a dreaded mercenary.

Nistelrooy is a player that I would of loved to seen play for Liverpool, whilst a while back on here I said I'd take him for £10million my view has changed completely. He's a manc which wouldn't go down too well and in recent times he's been a distruptive influence to the Man United squad. So he's a no for me, now.

Master,

Yes all clubs do waste money but some clubs can afford to waste money because they make it back due to revenue. Man United a few seasons ago were possibly the richest club in the world due to television rights, merchandise sales globally and the fact they were seen and still are seen as a brand name like Nike or Addidas etc. They mafde millions upon millions out of changing their image and ideologies from that of a football club to that of a business and a brand. United could afford to waste money on Veron, Ferdinand and others. They always made the money back, that's why.

As for Chelsea they also want to make the transformation from club to brand and the fact they have an owner with a bottomless pit means that they can afford to waste £20million, £30million or even £60million on a player because Roman's interest rates must be through the roof. Therefore he can throw silly money at Chelsea.

Whilst Liverpool have always been well off as a club, we don't have a 70,000 seater stadium and we don't have a chairman and board of directors who have bottomless pits of money and we haven't gone from club to brand so wasting money like Houllier did has cost us dear and it means we have to skrimp and save for players and have to be extra careful around the transfer market.

So yes clubs do waste money but some clubs can afford to because the have 100% financial security and some clubs (us being one of them) who could/ have wasted money and it's had a negative effect.
48-1119859832

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion