"biggest transfer flops in premiership history - According to the daily mail anyway

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Thu May 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Reg wrote:I dont understand how Winston Bogarde is only at number 38, he deserves to be in the top 5.

The guy is a hero => happy reading!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Bogarde

hadn't heard of him to be honest, cheers for that!  :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Judge » Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 pm

what about that idiot that Southampton signed. he was reputed to be George Weahs cousin, but was exposed as a fraud

needless, to say he did get 12 minutes on the football pitch but was quickly substituted

i think he was called Alli Dyer or something (he wasnt even a footballer) :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu May 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Judge wrote:what about that idiot that Southampton signed. he was reputed to be George Weahs cousin, but was exposed as a fraud

needless, to say he did get 12 minutes on the football pitch but was quickly substituted

i think he was called Alli Dyer or something (he wasnt even a footballer) :D

isnt he the one at #30? you blind bat.  :p
maypaxvobiscum

Postby roberto green » Thu May 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Sean Dundee will have to come in the top ten surely
roberto green

Postby akumaface » Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 pm

I think Diouf should be in the Top Ten. I don't agree on the Kewell transfer as many tranfer happened worse. I wouldn't say Kewelll was a flop as he did play well when healthy. I think Man U should have more players in there. Berbertov should be in the Top Ten, Veron also. Anyway, should do a top ten worse transfer in Liverpool history and compare with each of the top four EPL team. Actually should do this without Chelsea as they only existed within the last couple of years :D .
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Greavesie wrote:
Reg wrote:I dont understand how Winston Bogarde is only at number 38, he deserves to be in the top 5.

The guy is a hero => happy reading!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Bogarde

ahahaha I haven't read about him before that was fantastic :laugh: 

Chelsea FC

He signed for Chelsea FC in the 2000/2001 season, after following the advice of compatriot Mario Melchiot to join him at the London club. Bogarde was signed when Gianluca Vialli was manager, although the manager had no idea the transfer was happening and was organised by Ken Bates and Colin Hutchinson. Emerson Thome was shipped off to Sunderland and Bogarde came in. This was the beginning of the end for an angry Vialli. Bogarde's career at Chelsea is notable because, only weeks after signing his contract with the club, the newly-appointed manager Claudio Ranieri wanted him to leave.

According to Bogarde it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea with reference to his biography Deze Neger Buigt Voor Niemand (This Negro Bows for No One), he was astounded at the salary Chelsea had agreed on since it is a fact that his value has depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action. Bogarde decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter (as he could not get a similar salary anwhere else), as a result Bogarde played only sparingly for Chelsea again. Of his contract he has said, 'Why should I throw fifteen million euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract'. In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Worse still, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season. His contract ended in 2004.

During his period at Chelsea, they repeatedly tried to offload him because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to their reserves and youth team in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. However, he stuck to his contract, turning up every day and attending whatever training he was assigned to. Bogarde continued to stick to the letter his contract and working every day with the Chelsea reserves, while increasingly becoming a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness.[1] Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde has responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care.'[2]
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Reg » Thu May 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Greavesie wrote:

He's the Purple Aki of football.  :Oo:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 14, 2009 7:22 pm

The biggest transfer flop for me has to be Shevchenko
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

NANNY RED wrote:The biggest transfer flop for me has to be Shevchenko

Big Jerzy condemned Shevchenko´s reputation to the rubbish bin on a certain night in 2005.

Magical moments - shot, rebound and the penalty.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Reg wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:The biggest transfer flop for me has to be Shevchenko

Big Jerzy condemned Shevchenko´s reputation to the rubbish bin on a certain night in 2005.

Magical moments - shot, rebound and the penalty.

Cant remember that night Reg do you wanna do a full recap :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 pm

It was hot and sweaty....... there were more englishmen in Istanbul than any foreign country since 1945 and once again we were giving the wops a battering...... they were lucky and caught us on the break 3 times but we werent fazed, in fact we waited until the second half before trying. Gerrard said 'Ok, lets get it over and done with' and popped one in, Vlad 'The Barbarian' Smicer drove one in from the half way line and Xavi Alonso slotted the rebound of a half saved penalty to teach Meelan the lesson you have to follow up a kick. Job done, Jerzy took the Mick out of Shevchenko, Bruno Cheyrou tried to play Meelan back into the game but to make the game more interesting teh Reds settled for penalties. Meelan bottled out of the kicks, Big Dietmar Hammann took our first and showed why zee germans are the best penalty takers in the world. Riise missed as usual, I heard he asked if he could take them for meelan instead. 

Liverpool celebrated their victory by parading the trophy around Liverpool in an open-top double-decker bus the day after the final. They were cheered by approximately 1,000,000 fans as they toured the city, with 300,000 of those fans located around St George's Hall – the final destination of the parade. Business experts estimated that one in five workers took time off following the victory after partying all night, and many Everton fans were said to have taken the day off work to escape their colleagues' jibes about Liverpool's victory. It was also estimated that Liverpudlians had drunk 10,000 bottles of Champagne celebrating the victory, with supermarket chain Sainsbury's stating: "We've never seen anything like it. We would usually expect to sell this much champagne at Christmas".
Last edited by Reg on Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Since it is a negative list the newspaper will be more than happy to place several Liverpool players in the list.

If Jose Antonio Reyes is #47, I certainly can see Fernando Morientes in the top ten as there was big expectations and his seasons were not good enough.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 pm

Reyes was actually a decent player for the first 18 months. I think when you're talking transfer flop, it's not just about how much the bloke cost. The cost ought to be relative to how much the club can afford. People often talk about Veron being a flop, but he was signed for 28 million, he had good games but it didn't work out and they flogged him for 15 mill. ,13 mill relative to man Utd's budget wasn't so huge, and it hardly stopped them being successful either.

Owen to Newcastle was an awful signing for huge money for them, while given the fee I think it can be argued that Cisse was much more damaging as a signing than Morientes was. Shevcenko was a terrible buy, as was Keane but in both cases the amount of money wasted wasn't huge to the particular club. I shouldn't think Harry Redknapp is particularly proud of the Kevin Nugent signing for relatively big money, while that Job bloke at man City wasn't good, but was probably not as bad given their finaces at the time of the big Greek fella which Pearce signed who's name escapes me.

Aspirilla while being a good player probably cost the barcodes the title with his arrival, while Mendieta at Middlesboro was never going to work.

There's probably many in the top ten which nobody has thought of, but my stand out worst buy in recent times would be David Bentley for Spurs. A decent but not outstanding player with a questionable attitude (which is absolutely no secret in football) for in excess of 15 million pounds? A truly terrible buy, and I think they'll struggle to get half their money back.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Only one i woulod disagree with their is mendieta to boro - he cost them nothing and helped them win their only ever cup in his first season then played a couple more seasons before injury hit . not sure how that could be classed as a flop ??
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Dodgy one this one as I cant remember whether West Ham were in the premiership or the old first division, but for a tranfer "flop", Joey Beauchamp has to be the worst ! Moved from Oxford to West Ham, he didnt play a single game for them before he was shipped out !

Also Tomas Brolin from Parma to Leeds :laugh: what a joke he turned out to be !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion