Le flops what houllier bought - And the consequences because of them

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:17 am

Ciggy wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:I dont think dragging up Houlliers flop signings are going to achieve anything as it's all in the past, the Houllier flop thing has been done to death.

Theres been nothing but moaning about no new footie topics, because theres no much to write about cause things are going so well, after defeats in the past the forums been flooded, I made this topic cause I could'nt think of anything else to talk about this morning, but you are right its been done to death.

Hey I'm not having a go

You have started a good thread, considering like you say theres not too much to talk about. You have made a fair point, all I did was pick out the obvious to reply to, the Houllier flop thing, and go on from there.

dont take it the wrong way  :;):
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 05, 2006 11:21 am

Bamaga man wrote:Hey I'm not having a go

dont take it the wrong way  :;):

Im not mate, just could'nt think of anything else to write about.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 05, 2006 11:55 am

Think John Craig hit the nail on the head tbh, Rafa is a man who will not be held to ransom over transfers and wont pay over the odds.
Money might be tighter than at other clubs but the chairman at Liverpool always backs the manager when possible.
I also believe that they would of bought Owen and that Rafa was the person who did not want to spend big money.
We will bring in players at reasonable prices probably about £8-10 million and for that we should get top players imo.
Houllier did waste alot of money and it might affect things slightly, but the bottom line is, if rafa needs the money then i think the board will back him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 12:34 pm

good post ciggy babe. good to have you back and on form girl. :;):

i remember making a post on this around october time last year. people don't realise how much damage houllier did to this club from a financial point of view. i mean by the end of his tenure, he'd almost brought the club to it's knees. for all our traditions of "not sacking managers" the board should have just bit the bullet and got rid of the guy a year before they did.

i suppose a lot of the criticism goes on exactly how houllier was judging the potential of these players in the first place. apparently, two good games in a world cup was justification for paying £5m for salif diao, and although diouf was a twice african footballer of the year, paying £10m for him was probably one of the worst pieces of business in recent memory.

if you look at it, since houllier came to our club we've spent over £30m on goalkeepers alone, when we let brad friedel go on a free. we've spent an absolute fortune on strikers who just haven't done it. add this to the fact that we are still subsiding the wages of the players who were brought in for high prices and then loaned out and we're literally throwing money away.

oh yeah and that's without even mentioning the new stadium.

fortunately the board redeemed themselves somewhat by bringing in the best manager in the world (imo). where are the martin o neill supporters now eh? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Fri May 05, 2006 12:43 pm

stmichael wrote:where are the martin o neill supporters now eh? :D

newcastle middlesboro' charlton etc ..... anyone who'll have him. :D

tbf good coach.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 1:13 pm

just on the players who are out on loan, le tallec is suderlands top scorer this season....

with 5 goals :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 05, 2006 1:17 pm

stmichael wrote:i remember making a post on this around october time last year. people don't realise how much damage houllier did to this club from a financial point of view. i mean by the end of his tenure, he'd almost brought the club to it's knees. for all our traditions of "not sacking managers" the board should have just bit the bullet and got rid of the guy a year before they did.

IMO Houllier should have took on another roll at the club after the open heart surgery, the job nearly killed him with the stress.

And I think the board didnt want to be cruel and tell him he was going about signings and things the wrong way because he was a very sick man.

And how many goalies did we have alone? Kirkland, james, friedel, Westerveld, Arphexad  :Oo: ,Luzi.

Plus the fees for some of these players.

Jean-Michel Ferri: £1.7million from Istanbulspor He made 2 sub appearences before being shipped out to French side Sochaux.

Rigobert Song: £2.6million from Salernitana also shipped out after 1 season.

Frodde Kippe: £700,000 from Lillestrom.
Was suppossed to be the next Pablo Maldini
:Oo: he featured twice as a sub and was loaned out to stoke City after one season.

Titi Camara: £2.6million from Marseille.
Made a promising start but Houllier didnt favour him West Ham bought him from us then sold him to  Al-Ittihad.

Emile Heskey: £11million from Leicester say no more about that transfer fee now relegated with Brum.

Bernard Diomede: £3million from Auxerre
Another mystery played 5 games all together on the wing, only two of them where in the prem is now at relegated AC Ajaccio back in his home land.

:Oo: Seems to be a pattern building here of most of these players being at relegated team.

Nick Barmby: £6million from Everton say no more :O

Gregory Vignal: £500,000 from Montpellier
Another sh.ite player for the collection all these players didnt cost astronomical fee's but all together they cost over a 100 million pounds.

Christian Ziege: £5.5million from Middlesbrough
Started 11 games, then was sold to Spurs we had to also pay a fine of 20.000 for tapping him up.

Who was he ???
Daniel Sjolund: £1million from West Ham.

Igor Biscan: £5.5million from Dinamo Zagreb.

Chris Kirkland: £6million from Coventry Houllier spent 11 million pounds on two goal keepers in one day.

More money wasted.
Abel Xavier: £800,000 from Everton.

El Hadji Diouf: £10million from RC Lens
Fuckin biggest waste of money ever to be spent on a piece of sh.it like him I hate him he's a rat.
3 goals in 24 appearences now under the guidance of the wonderful Fat Sam (Im the best manager in the world) Allardyce.

Bruno Cheyrou: £3.7million from Lille
Another mystery.

Salif Diao: £5million from Sedan
Excuse me but I was really p.issed off with him in his bandana celebrating in the champions league final singing we are the champions, err no your not your a feckin joke, so was your transfer fee. Cheeky b@stard was dancing at the back of the homecoming bus aswell.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 1:19 pm

Ciggy wrote:Jean-Michel Ferri: £1.7million from Istanbulspor He made 2 sub appearences before being shipped out to French side Sochaux.

ah yes, jean michel ferri, the spy :D
Last edited by stmichael on Fri May 05, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 05, 2006 1:25 pm

I was fumin though the way Diao was proper made up, it was like in the film Ghost when that really ugly ghost says Gerroff ma train. Just like do one your not wanted.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 1:27 pm

bernard diomede started 3 games for france when they won the 1998 world cup :O

the mind boggles :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 05, 2006 1:32 pm

LFC have always given their money to managers. I don't believe they are motivated by making money unlike the plc or the yanks buying some "franchise".

Who were our biggest FINANCIAL signings - taking the time into account? Cisse - £14m and rubbish. Collymore was a British record buy at £8.5m  and rubbish, Saunders must have been close to a british record and was rubbish. I think Beardsley was about £1.2m which was huge and is a legend.

1 out of 4 aint good.

Who else and how do you rate them?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark 23 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:33 pm

stmichael wrote:bernard diomede started 3 games for france when they won the 1998 world cup :O

the mind boggles :angry:

That was a quiz question a few years ago, name the only current Liverpool player who has won a world-cup medal?

You never would have got it!
Mark 23

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Riedle had one as well.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:57 pm

Depends when you were asking the question though.
jonnymac1979

Postby 2520years » Fri May 05, 2006 3:00 pm

Hamann has got a World Cup medal.
:;):
My earliest memory.
2520years

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion