"biggest transfer flops in premiership history - According to the daily mail anyway

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Dodgy one this one as I cant remember whether West Ham were in the premiership or the old first division, but for a tranfer "flop", Joey Beauchamp has to be the worst ! Moved from Oxford to West Ham, he didnt play a single game for them before he was shipped out !

Also Tomas Brolin from Parma to Leeds :laugh: what a joke he turned out to be !

:laugh: I remember that Joey Beauchamp,

An i liked Brolin when he was  younger class player for Swedon, but to fat when he came to Leeds,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 pm

GYBS wrote:Only one i woulod disagree with their is mendieta to boro - he cost them nothing and helped them win their only ever cup in his first season then played a couple more seasons before injury hit . not sure how that could be classed as a flop ??

Did he? Ah right I'll cross him off then, good theng I'd only written his name in faint pencil   :D . Truth is I never liked him. Looked a little bit too much like Bolo Zenden for my liking.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 pm

DrPepe wrote:harry kewell 5m quid and a flop?

he wasn't a brilliant performer but to get 4 or 5 years out of a 5m player (and win things too) is hardly a flop

He earned 3 mil a year here for 5 years and cost 5 mil transfer fee.  I don't see the 20 million he cost the club overall good business at all given the amount of football he missed.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Here's the worst imo...

Kewell to Liverpool - the expectation and excitement was huge surrounding that transfer.  Too many injuries and generally flattered to deceive.

Owen to Newcastle - how many games has he played?  Even though he usually does the business when fit he's been terrible business for 17 mil and 100k per week!

Morientes to Liverpool - Again massive expectation, but couldn't handle this league physically.

Shevchenko to Chelsea - He's probably THE biggest flop given the transfer fee and his reputation.

Kluivert to Newcastle - Expected a hell of a lot more.

Taibi to United - 4.5 mil and just fu.cking horrible.

Jeffers to Arsenal - 10 mil, horrendous buy.

Paulo Futre to West Ham - don't think he even played a game for them

:laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Judge wrote:what about that idiot that Southampton signed. he was reputed to be George Weahs cousin, but was exposed as a fraud

needless, to say he did get 12 minutes on the football pitch but was quickly substituted

i think he was called Alli Dyer or something (he wasnt even a footballer) :D

isnt he the one at #30? you blind bat.  :p

what i meant to say was he should be at number 1
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri May 15, 2009 7:54 am

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:Only one i woulod disagree with their is mendieta to boro - he cost them nothing and helped them win their only ever cup in his first season then played a couple more seasons before injury hit . not sure how that could be classed as a flop ??

Did he? Ah right I'll cross him off then, good theng I'd only written his name in faint pencil   :D . Truth is I never liked him. Looked a little bit too much like Bolo Zenden for my liking.

:D

Yeah he was a Zenden lookalikey .

But in his day a very good high quality player and would of liked menieta in his prime at liverpool .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 am

GYBS wrote:
bigmick wrote:

:D

Yeah he was a Zenden lookalikey .

But in his day a very good high quality player and would of liked menieta in his prime at liverpool .

he was great at Valencia

difficult to judghe him on his boro days  :upside:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri May 15, 2009 9:00 am

He was very poor at Lazio after his big money move but his first season especially he was very good helping them win a trophy and was pretty good in second season but then injuries hit him .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 am

Not a single transfer in the top 50 coming in from Germany, not even................ Andrei Voronin! And El Hadji Diouf doesn't feature either, or Piechnik or a few of our other less than successful signings like Dundee, Meijer etc

And where are the Sunderland signings? Gordon, Chopra and all the other 40 or 50 players Keane signed before bailing out? Or Everton's fantastic successes like Duncan Disorderly, Van Der Meyde, Beattie etc

But maybe the biggest surprise is that Lids spent £60m borrowed money on Fowler (£11m), Seth Johnson (£7m?) etc and yet only have Brolin on the list?

According to that Daily Mail list, here are the vital stats

WORST COUNTRIES FOR SIGNING FLOPS FROM

16 England*
9 Italy
7 Spain
5 France
4 Holland
3 Scotland
2 Portugal
1 Russia
1 Brazil
1 Ukraine
1 Croatia
1 free agent

*Without digging too deep I think 14 were bought from Premiership clubs, 2 from Championship clubs. Wolves were definitely Championship in 2000, not 100% sure regards teams like Ipswich in 2001 etc

According to that Daily Mail article, the combined cost of those 50 players was £457.95m

FLOPS BY NUMBER OF SIGNINGS

9 Newcastle (£64.70m)
7 Chelsea (£99.80m)
6 Man Utd (£76.25m)
5 Tottenham (£43.60m)
5 Liverpool (£39.8m)
3 Arsenal (£31.00m)
2 Aston Villa (£13.60m)
2 West Ham (£3.15m)
1 Other Clubs (12) with a combined £86.05m "worth" of players

FLOPS BY COST OF SIGNINGS

£99.80m Chelsea (7 players, £14.26m average)
£76.25m Man Utd (6 players, £12.71m average)
£64.70m Newcastle (9 players, £7.19m average)
£43.60m Tottenham (5 players, £8.72m average)
£39.80m Liverpool (5 players, £7.96m average)*
£31.00m Arsenal (3 players, £10.33m average)
£19.00m Man City (1 player)
£13.60m Aston Villa (2 players, £6.80m average)
£12.00m Middlesboro (1 player)
£12.00m Sunderland (1 player)
£11.50m Fulham (1 player)
£34.70m The rest (10 players, £3.47m average)

*Let off lightly, Heskey might not be a flop, but how about Diouf at £10m, Babel at £11.5m, Scales at £3.5m, Diomede £3m, Dossena £7m, Kirkland £6m, Bellamy at £6m, Babb at £3.6m, Morientes at £6.3m, Cisse at £14m, and Dundee at £2m?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Fri May 15, 2009 10:50 am

DrPepe wrote:harry kewell 5m quid and a flop?

he wasn't a brilliant performer but to get 4 or 5 years out of a 5m player (and win things too) is hardly a flop

Harry Kewell.

The one who signed for us in a blaze of publicity and did sh.it all whilst here.

That Harry Kewell.
simolonge

Postby Owzat » Fri May 15, 2009 11:25 am

I think we got enough service out of Kewell for him to avoid the tag of flop. He was hardly a raging success though, 93 Premiership appearances and 12 goals in five seasons. What annoys me most is he had a tendancy to get himself fit when big matches and cup finals were around the corner. Just imagine what could have been if he had kept himself fit and played like he did in a Leeds shirt.

So DrPepe, we may have got five years out of him, but not a FULL five years by any stretch, and I don't think he was pivotal to winning trophies, more turned up when there was a winner's medal on offer.

2005 Champions League - Kewell played 18 Premiership games that season, although he got a disproportionate number of CL games (quite a few games). He scored one goal all season, started the CL final and lasted 23 minutes.

2005 League Cup - his only domestic cup appearance of 2005 was the League Cup final

2005 Club World Championship - played in the final but not the semi (not needed)

2006 FA Cup - had a bit of a fuller season and he got to play the FA Cup final. Played both (lost) legs against Benfica in the Champions League

2007 Champions League - Kewell again gets in the squad, this time as a 59th minute sub having played TWO Premiership games all season and what a shocker, he got fit just in time.

So he played practically every final we reached in his time here and considering he was out for long periods you have to question his commitment and how he could have been fit for all those big games and not so many of the week in, week out games. We've got more out of other players who've finished with less finals/medals. He did miss the 2005 UEFA Super Cup, still if he'd been fit for that he might have had to play a demeaning league game or two - it was just under two months before he turned out for his first game of that season
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Harry Kewell was a flop in my book, was so excited when we signed him though but it never worked out and his attitude especially at the end sucked.  Didn't he play in some game where we got trounced and afterwards he was smiling and laughing with the opposition players. :angry:
heimdall

Postby Reg » Fri May 15, 2009 1:01 pm

27 Jo (CSKA Moscow to Manchester City, £19m - 2008)

That was a shocking valuation of a 5 million player......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Talk of the devil, Owen´s on the BBC site today:

Friday, 15 May 2009 10:55 UK    Shearer denies Owen quit rumours 

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer has labelled reports on Friday stating striker Michael Owen will retire at the end of the season as "ludicrous".

The 29-year-old has not scored since 10 January and was recently left out of the starting XI to face Liverpool and substituted against Middlesbrough. "He doesn't need it, doesn't deserve it," said Shearer.

"The stories out are totally ludicrous and untrue as far as he's concerned, and he has laughed them off."

Owen's management company released a statement saying the player is "deeply and professionally offended" by the reports, adding: "Any suggestion or unfounded speculation that Michael Owen has any intention of quitting football is totally untrue and wrong."

Temporary manager Shearer, whose team moved out of the bottom three last Monday with victory over Boro, has backed his former England and Newcastle team-mate to start finding the net again.

"Go out and score goals - the player has always got the last opportunity to go out and do the business on the football pitch," he added, ahead of Saturday's game against Fulham.

"He always has the chance to have the last laugh. My mind will never change with Michael Owen - if you give him chances, eventually he will score goals, I have no doubt about that."

Owen is out of contract at St James' Park at the end of the season and Shearer did not provide any clues to whether the former Liverpool and Real Madrid player would sign a new deal with the Magpies.

Shearer added: "I am 100% certain he will have a future in the Premier League. "But as to where that will be, here or elsewhere, that's for a discussion at the end of the season." Owen signed for Newcastle in August 2005 for a club record fee of £16m.

Since then the striker has been plagued by problems, including breaking a metatarsal bone, knee ligament damage at the 2006 World Cup, undergoing a double hernia operation and a thigh injury.

This season, Owen, with 10 goals in all competitions during the campaign, has featured more regularly although an ankle injury and groin operation forced the forward to miss five games.

The forward, who is widely reported to be earning more than £100,000-a-week at St James' Park, has made 65 appearances for the Magpies and scored 30 goals in four seasons.
++

Owen´s just taking the money like the other 49 lads on that list.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Oakesy8 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:30 pm

LOL
Last edited by Oakesy8 on Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakesy8

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion