"biggest transfer flops in premiership history - According to the daily mail anyway

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 pm

FFS  keane is classified as a flop after half a season where he cost 10 million less than berba and had only 2 goals less than him up to that point while playing less games. Berbatov should be right up there , some of those names in the list are jokes
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 15, 2009 5:21 pm

In Berbatov's defence, he's about to win a PL and play in a CL final, can't really argue

he was never worth the £30m but his achievements are there for all to see
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Greavesie wrote:In Berbatov's defence, he's about to win a PL and play in a CL final, can't really argue

That is true but so did veron , he won a pl title and still makes number 1 on that list
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri May 15, 2009 9:05 pm

how did Diouf not make this list? Houllier declined on taking Anelka long term and signed that sh*tbag and all we got in return was him occasionally spitting on gobby fans
burjennio

Postby GOAT » Sat May 16, 2009 1:48 am

Greavesie wrote:In Berbatov's defence, he's about to win a PL and play in a CL final, can't really argue

I've never understood that, he could win a couple of trophies with his club so he's been a successful buy?

Let's see man u sign up bruce forsythe for 35mil, hell he'll probably win  a couple of trophies sure but would he be deemed a successful transfer because of that?

And where is forlan?
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby DrPepe » Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 am

GOAT wrote:

I've never understood that, he could win a couple of trophies with his club so he's been a successful buy?

Let's see man u sign up bruce forsythe for 35mil, hell he'll probably win  a couple of trophies sure but would he be deemed a successful transfer because of that?

And where is forlan?

i was going to argue this point earlier...

surely a manager doesn't sign a player just cos he'll play X number of games or score Z goals... It's also about how he interacts with the squad, contributes to the team - the synergy of talent that the blend brings about

For that reason, i don't see Berbatov as a failure for the mancs, as he's scored a half decent amount of goals (it's his first season at the  club), and a shed load of assists

More importantly  he's contributed to a (probably) title winning side.

Not a transfer flop by any means
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat May 16, 2009 3:38 am

Frodde Kippe anyone ? Jean Michel Ferri  1.7mil for a spy ,or 3 million for Bernard Diomede apparently a member of the French World cup squad ( I think he was the cook ) just some of Monsieur Houlliers more astute purchases , how we all laughed on the Kop as we paid  for our season tickets  :(   (B@stard ) dark days indeed .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat May 16, 2009 4:33 am

DrPepe wrote:
GOAT wrote:

And where is forlan?

i was going to argue this point earlier...

surely a manager doesn't sign a player just cos he'll play X number of games or score Z goals... It's also about how he interacts with the squad, contributes to the team - the synergy of talent that the blend brings about

For that reason, i don't see Berbatov as a failure for the mancs, as he's scored a half decent amount of goals (it's his first season at the  club), and a shed load of assists

More importantly  he's contributed to a (probably) title winning side.

Not a transfer flop by any means

Yep I agree Berbatovs not a flop as of yet. He's got some improving to do, but much of the publicity about his settling in year has been brought about by the controversy over Tevez and the comparison between the two.

Also, I think it's dangerous to write a player off after one season. They very often do take a year or so to settle and produce their best form. Sometimes after an intially disappointing opening, they can really prosper. This is particularly the case if they are handled sympathetically by the manager.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion