Bad players turned good - Or vice versa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Chrissy » Wed May 04, 2005 8:22 am

One that springs to mind is Igor Biscan. He was half decent when we bought him but then he went really rubbish, a bit like diouf diao etc. But in the last few games he has really improved and become more comitted to his tackles. Let a few men go last night but all in all not a bad game and played the full 90 so in Rafas eyes he cant have been doing too bad. Is there anyone else whos turned out like that? (or good to bad)
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri May 06, 2005 5:44 pm

Biscan has certainly improved lots since the start of Rafa's regime but his technical ability on the ball suggests that he would never be good enough to be a top-class midfielder. Don't get me wrong, he has perform superbly in CL games and certainly would be an appropriate backup for Alonso when neccessary. I think he could even surpass Hamann as he could offer a bit more attacking steel in the midfield. However, he should also raise his confident a fair bit more as he sometimes look uncertain and hesitant when in possession.

Another name that springs into mind is Traore. With his gangly long legs, he is perhaps the best slide tackler in the Premiership and his defensive ability has matured since Rafa's arrival. Though his positioning sense might have let him down several times, he is capable of recovering and doing extraordinary slide tackles to scramble lost causes. Just like Biscan, I don't think he could ever turn to be a world-class left back and that he could still raise his confidence when in possession. Like recently, we see signs of that happening as he goes forward supporting Riise and swinging in decent crosses.

I say we should keep both players. According to their ability and pedigree, they should and would not request for an overwhelming amount of salary (I hope!) and would certainly turn out to be valuable squad players.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sun May 08, 2005 8:17 am

I do feel for Michael Owen because his main danger was his pace a few years ago but since recently he has had hamstring problems, hes lost a bit of his pace but hes still quite quick though and his finishing is still deadly than ever.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:52 am

MilitiaRusher wrote:Biscan has certainly improved lots since the start of Rafa's regime but his technical ability on the ball suggests that he would never be good enough to be a top-class midfielder. Don't get me wrong, he has perform superbly in CL games and certainly would be an appropriate backup for Alonso when neccessary. I think he could even surpass Hamann as he could offer a bit more attacking steel in the midfield. However, he should also raise his confident a fair bit more as he sometimes look uncertain and hesitant when in possession.

Another name that springs into mind is Traore. With his gangly long legs, he is perhaps the best slide tackler in the Premiership and his defensive ability has matured since Rafa's arrival. Though his positioning sense might have let him down several times, he is capable of recovering and doing extraordinary slide tackles to scramble lost causes. Just like Biscan, I don't think he could ever turn to be a world-class left back and that he could still raise his confidence when in possession. Like recently, we see signs of that happening as he goes forward supporting Riise and swinging in decent crosses.

I say we should keep both players. According to their ability and pedigree, they should and would not request for an overwhelming amount of salary (I hope!) and would certainly turn out to be valuable squad players.

I dont think he'd cover for alonso. he plays a totally different role in midfield. he stays high up th pitch and tackles and threads balls through to the front men while alonso sits in front of the defence and sprays passes to the wings and gets forward when the team is exerting pressure on the opponent. 2 totally different players. Alonso and hamann are more comparable but are still dissimilar.

Agree with everything you say about traore although i think we should sell him as a good winger will find it easy against him.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion