STEVE CLARKE OFFICIAL THREAD - Kenny's New Assistant

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:04 am

:) Good choice !!!

Better than that arl dinosaur Mike Kelly onwards & upwards  :buttrock

Former Chelsea assistant manager Steve Clarke is to join Liverpool’s backroom staff following the appointment of Kenny Dalglish as manager on Saturday.

Clarke, a fellow Scot, was most recently first team coach at West Ham where he worked under Gianfranco Zola until last summer. He was a key part of the Chelsea set-up under Jose Mourinho.

Rumours of his appointment began on Saturday evening, shortly after Dalglish had landed back in England ahead of the Man United match, and on Sunday afternoon were reported by several local media outlets.

LFC correspondent Tony Barrett all-but confirmed the appointment on Radio 5 Live after the United defeat and both The Times and The Mirror are now reporting that Clarke will be appointed first-team coach at LFC.

Mike Kelly is currently first team coach but the former Fulham assistant and Roy Hodgson’s right-hand man is expected to leave this week.

Steve Clarke is expected to begin at Melwood on Tuesday and be in place for the Blackpool game on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Dalglish will be officially unveiled at a press conference at Anfield at 3pm on Monday afternoon.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 am

great coach. made up with this.

:)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am

Hope he works better with the team than he did at west ham.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TarnRed » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 am

Fantastic appointment, brilliant coach.
TarnRed

Postby boodiddy1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

Is clarke's appointment anything to do with bringing villas boas into the club in the summer? Could be a link.

I really have optimism for rest of season. Even Jennie subs yesterday were at the right time. Correct choices too. Already more game time fir shelter and Kelly. Now what about pacheco behind Torres
boodiddy1

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 am

He's a great coach ...

...unless your called Lakes and you can only focus on the misrable side :laugh:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TarnRed » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am

Lee J wrote:He's a great coach ...

...unless your called Lakes and you can only focus on the misrable side :laugh:

Lakes tends to forget that in Clarke's first season with West Ham he & Zola took West Ham to 9th place and with a massively average squad to boot !!  :p

Jose Mourinho was the one that told West Ham to bring him in. And in his own words, "An High Level Coach", "This is what I think about Steve Clarke if, at this moment, he had the chance to manage a club, even a big club like Chelsea, he would be ready for that. He is that good.”
TarnRed

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 am

Hes a very well respected name in the game and I'd take that ahead of affiliation to the club every day...
Good appointment and one that we desperately needed with all the silliness that went on in the past few years regarding players and coaching staff.. The game has changed a lot since Kenny was last here as manager.. Assistant manager like Clarke, Pako, Wilkins..etc play a big role in providing the link between the squad and the manager... In most cases players are much closer to the assistants than they are to manager so that only goes to show the importance of the role in modern day football...

Anyways, best of luck to Clarke and imo thats another step in the right direction.. The owners seemingly havent given up on this season just yet and hopefully they back Kenny up in the transfer market as well...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am

Welcome aboard

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 am

my choice would have been pako ayestyran but happy with steve clarkes appointment nonetheless.
good respected man with a proven record and a welcome addition to the club.
welcome to anfield steve clarke.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 am

if this is definite its a very good appointment.
Someone who has a very good track record and the fact that he has no affiliation with the club is probably a good thing.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby mramo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am

I am very pleased with this appointment! Steve Clarke is well established under the former wings of Mourinho! The storm has ended and the skies are certainly opening up with this appointment.
mramo

Postby Waldo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 am

It was absolutely key that we got a man who was up to speed with the most up to date and modern methods of coaching. I am led to believe he is a cracking coach. Having worked up Maureen and Zola he will have some interesting ideas no doubt.

He can also work a translator for Kenny as I can't imagine that the foreign legion will understand much of what comes out of Kenny's mouth :D
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby TarnRed » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:51 am

TarnRed

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Will he be at the conference today i wonder?
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion