STEVE CLARKE OFFICIAL THREAD - Kenny's New Assistant

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 am

Some early words of praise for Steve Clark from Dirk.

Kuyt: “It comes close to the Dutch style. ­Playing with early pressure on the opponents and a passing game with the ball low on the ground. Not all those long balls anymore.

“Dalglish and Clarke have this ­vision: if you have Torres and Gerrard in the team, we will be stronger against 80 per cent of the ­opponents when we put the ­pressure on them in their own half.”

The combination of ­Dalglish and Clarke is a ­really good one. Clarke has come in from outside the club.

He has the same role as he had earlier with Mourinho at Chelsea. Under Clarke we now do totally different training sessions. We do a lot of positional play in small spaces.

“And while Clarke is ­doing sessions with us, Dalglish will talk all the stress away from the players.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:12 pm

The effect of Dalglish must not hide the coaching talent that Clarke has brung. We clearly are reaping benefits from a decent training regime, and a style of coaching that plays on our strengths and emphasises a playing style that is all about the old successful Liverpool.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:37 pm

you could argue that this guy was the biggest signing of the transfer window.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:The effect of Dalglish must not hide the coaching talent that Clarke has brung. We clearly are reaping benefits from a decent training regime, and a style of coaching that plays on our strengths and emphasises a playing style that is all about the old successful Liverpool.

brung?  ???  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 pm

stmichael wrote:you could argue that this guy was the biggest signing of the transfer window.

:nod

KK gets most of the plaudits (and deservedly so) but we can not forget about this guy.

Instrumental in my opinion in helping KK to get us playing properly again.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Well it has to be said that since Steve Clark bombed it down the M6 or wherever, to join Kenny at Melwood 24 hrs Kennytook-up the reigns, Liverpool look like.. Liverpool again:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/footbal....chelsea

Great Article - Our master tactician deserves his own thread !

:buttrock
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Arguably Kenny Dalglish’s best signing of January – Steve Clark

A day after Kenny took the office, he brought in a free agent who has been under the radar of many great managers. He has two Premier League winner medals and bags of experience. He probably won’t make headlines in a similar way when a star striker is signed or any other player worth over £15m. However, he could yet prove to be better than all such signings.

Kenny has brought in a new number two in the shape of Steve Clark. The new backroom member gives an indication of the direction Liverpool FC wants to move under Kenny Dalglish. Now that the new regime is well and truly settled and the unpopular and highly unsuccessful manager gone, Liverpool fans can hope for good times once again. They have every right to be optimistic under this new management.

The inclusion of Steve Clark to the coaching team is a pretty clever move by Kenny Dalglish as Clark’s record speaks volume about his ability in that role and his experience is second to none. Clark has worked as managerial assistant with some of the World’s best managers, none more so than the likes of José Mourinho, Bobby Robson and Luis Felipe Scolari.

He has won the Premier League twice, League cup twice and an F.A Cup in his role as an assistant manager. He also had a spell with West Ham United where he along with Gianfranco Zola took west Ham to only two points of a European qualification in their first season together. He was recognised as the best assistant manager in the league when he was made the highest paid managerial assistant.

There is little doubt about the ability of Liverpool’s new number two and his reputation as one of the finest managerial assistants in the country can only be enhanced if he can help Kenny Dalglish get Liverpool’s season on track. History has shown what a difference a number two can make, especially if he is the right choice.

English games finest manager’s such as Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson have always had an assistant throughout their time at the helm. Some even suggest that Ferguson does not even attend the regular training sessions which are conducted under the guidance of Fergie’s number two.

Peter Taylor was Brian Clough’s assistant manager where ever the legend managed. He was with him at Hartlepool, Derby County, Brighton and Nottingham Forest. Taylor is widely regarded as the greatest assistant manager of all time. The duo achieved success together for a long period and the understanding between the two was key to their success.

Clough once said about Peter Taylor: “I’m not equipped to manage successfully without Peter Taylor. I am the shop window and he is the goods in the back.”, while Taylor said about Brian Clough: “We just gelled together, we filled in the gaps…My strength was buying and selecting the right player, then Brian’s man management would shape the player”.

Steve Clark was a favourite with Chelsea players and fans and there is no reason why he can’t develop a similar relationship at Anfield.  Both Kenny Dalglish and Steve Clark have massive experience under their belts which is approximately 70 plus years of football know-how between them. The importance of two minds over just one cannot be underestimated, as rightly said by Peter Taylor: “I always knew that two men, the right two, could build up a club quicker than one”.

If Liverpool’s two men can gel together and are able to use all their experience to benefit the players and of course improve results on the pitch, then Steve Clark could well prove to be Kenny’s best signing on his return to management.'

http://blogs.bettor.com/Arguabl....-a52468
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

while it is good that sc is here and has the advantage of being involved in the game in more recent years its sad that kk just gets credited with creating a bit of moral around the club and no one seems to think he has anything to offer tactically.
after all it was his decision to bring sc here in the first place??? .
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am

excellent interview with steve clarke here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWu8_8uxlUg

:buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 am

red till i die!! wrote:its sad that kk just gets credited with creating a bit of moral around the club and no one seems to think he has anything to offer tactically.

really? - who thinks that? - Have a look in the Dalglish thread.

Kenny gets a lot of plaudits - and deservedly so. KK has been instrumental in our recent success and is a master tactician. Like wise so is Steve Clarke. They are a great team who work together to make us better. Whats wrong with saying that?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm

The Guardian article 'assumes' the switch to 3 at the back was Clarke's idea.  Can't remember Chelsea playing that system.  CAN remember big Jan playing sweeper on numerous occasions in Kenny's first spell.  Glad to have Steve Clarke on board, though.
mrt

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 am

Redman in wales wrote:
red till i die!! wrote:its sad that kk just gets credited with creating a bit of moral around the club and no one seems to think he has anything to offer tactically.

really? - who thinks that? - Have a look in the Dalglish thread.

Kenny gets a lot of plaudits - and deservedly so. KK has been instrumental in our recent success and is a master tactician. Like wise so is Steve Clarke. They are a great team who work together to make us better. Whats wrong with saying that?

that article from the guardian above for one.the point im making redman is that most of the articles i read from several different journos all seem to credit the tactics to anyone except kenny.they all credit kenny for raising moral nothing more.

i wasnt referring to other posters on this forum just the journos.
i know perfectly well whats wrote in the kk thread and i also remember dundreamins thread from a while back when he was calling for kenny to replace roy, and that thread is full of posts about all kenny will do is raise spirits and wont offer us anything tactically and 70% percent of the ones who now sing his praises in the dalglish thread were the ones saying it.

for me kk is a winner always was and always will be,as a player and as a manager both tactically and as a mentor to the players.sc is an excellent aquisition by kk and no doubt is part of a great team but the point i made was in that article above its  sc who gets credited for the tactics not kk.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby DaMo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 am

“And while Clarke is ­doing sessions with us, Dalglish will talk all the stress away from the players."

Quotes like that don't help matters. Honestly, journalists often take a quote like that and run with it. It's silly, you only have to look at the freedom of movement awarded to players in transitional phases to know that it's almost certainly Kenny's philosophy and ideas being implemented, same goes for how much the ball is being played on the deck now. Chelsea were glorified long ball merchants when Clarke was an assistant there, while I struggle to think of a West Ham side playing anything even remotely like we are now. If there was but one similarity between either of the two teams from when Clarke was an assistant there and how we are playing now, maybe it would be more plausible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt for a second that Clarke is a brilliant coach and that he's doing a LOT of good at Melwood, especially with our defence, while I'm sure Kenny runs all the tactics stuff through with him and they then come up with ideas together. I just hate how some in the media want to make Kenny out to be some sort of morale generating figurehead.
Last edited by DaMo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaMo

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:25 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:The effect of Dalglish must not hide the coaching talent that Clarke has brung. We clearly are reaping benefits from a decent training regime, and a style of coaching that plays on our strengths and emphasises a playing style that is all about the old successful Liverpool.

brung?  ???  :D

Bring Brang Brung... Don't you know? Where did you learn your English?  :angry:

:D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm

stmichael wrote:you could argue that this guy was the biggest signing of the transfer window.

totally agree mate-for me we could be also looking at the next great un-sung hero! i love the way he has stayed in the background in more ways than one! the only interview he's given so far of any importance-is the one he's given on LFC TV-top man,may it continue!!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion