Kenny back? - Kenny dalglish to rejoin liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Thu May 20, 2004 3:47 pm

Although Kenny is the undisputed king, I have mixed feelings about rumours of his return. In what capacity would he be joining Liverpool? If as director of football what manager is going to work with him? We cannot forget the mess Celtic were in with Kenny and John Barnes in charge. ???
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 20, 2004 3:50 pm

he ruined celtic and he ruined keegans team at newcastle. he's the best player this club ever had but he has had his day imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu May 20, 2004 3:55 pm

I love Dalglish but I don't think he would be a good manager again, he does tend to mess teams up and left us with some ****** when he quit as manager.  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 20, 2004 4:23 pm

if GH goes then id give him a crack at the whip. We have the team almost sorted IMO but we need a manager who will rile the players up, and kenny would be that man
martnis still my choice tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 20, 2004 4:51 pm

The current crop of players wouldn't understand a word he says!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu May 20, 2004 4:53 pm

Never mind that.. a lot of the current supporters wouldnt understand a word he says
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 20, 2004 4:54 pm

ckay wrote:The current crop of players wouldn't understand a word he says!!!!

imagine if he brought peter beardsley in as his assistant! the best english speaker at the club would be john arne riise! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby walshst » Thu May 20, 2004 4:55 pm

kenny isnt the man for the job IMO. Dont get me wrong, I've nothing against kenny, far from it, but we need modern football, a la Arsenal. Celtic are not a great team and cant be compared at all to Arsenal, but O'Neill has them playing some really attractive and very good flowing, attacking football. If he can do that with Celtic, just imagine what he can do with Liverpool.

He is the only man for the job in my opinion
walshst

Postby murphy0151 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:03 pm

Kenny would put one thing back into the club if he was to be come manager again.

PRIDE & PASSION
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby THEBARON » Thu May 20, 2004 9:23 pm

Kenny Dalglish was a superb player ( arguably the best in modern times ) and a very successful manager for us but I don't think it would be right for him to come  back..
(1).His managerial record post Liverpool was mixed. He took Blackburn to the top but followed that up with markedly less success at Newcastle and Celtic.
(2).Even during his time at Anfield there were a few baffling decisions .. ommitting Beardsley , a devotion to Staunton in different positions , buying David Speedie !
(3). Given the reasons he quit ( tiredness and stress ) is it likely he could fare any better now ? The job involves just as much pressure now and the media interest is much  greater.
(4). Are there any successful precedents ? I cannot think of a successful manager returning to a club where he had great success previously and repeating it.Howard Kendall and Malcolm Allison tried without success.
(5). There are better options out there for the job of Liverpool manager. The best is currently in Glasgow. Let's go for him.
Kenny Dalglish was a great manager for us , brought us a double , the 87/88 side and handled Hilsborough magnificently ....but that was 13 years ago. Not only that he left us in the lurch when he suddenly quit.
In 1991 he was without question the best man for the job but time moves on.
The best man is Martin O'Neill.
THEBARON

Postby cheesecakery » Fri May 21, 2004 12:07 am

Oh i f.ucking hope so
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Sean » Fri May 21, 2004 3:33 pm

Kenny Dalglish took over as manager in the aftermath of Heysel and also brought the club through the Hillsborough tragedy.  Surely he was entitled to get a bit stressed out after that...and don't forget he created one of the best Liverpool teams ever that only for the european ban would have competed with and beaten a dominant AC Milan team in the late '80's.

King Kenny knows he has unfinished business.....hes ready, willing and able...and waiting for the call !!!

Sean
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Fri May 21, 2004 3:37 pm

Not a chance!!

He's long past ready!!

He probably is willing but that would be a mistake

He's just not able.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 21, 2004 3:43 pm

Sean wrote:he created one of the best Liverpool teams ever that only for the european ban would have competed with and beaten a dominant AC Milan team in the late '80's.

that would have been a dream match! the liverpool team of 1987/88 were absolutely untouchable. remember the 5-0 demolition of forest? it gave new meaning to the phrase "total football!" :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Fri May 21, 2004 3:46 pm

that was payback for the 1976-1977 euro cup defeat ( i hope I have my years right, I was only 1 year old)
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion