Liverpool vs Bayern Munich, Tuesday 19th February, 20:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:41 pm

With all the recent focus on the title race the Champions League has almost been forgotten! With 5 European Cups each, a Champions League knockout game against Bayern Munich truly is a glamour tie. Despite the illustrious history of both clubs in Europe, we haven’t faced up very often. The most recent meeting was the 2001 Super Cup final, with goals from Riise, Heskey and Owen giving us a 3-2 win.

After a shaky autumn, Bayern’s form has picked up. They went on to top their Champions League group with 4 wins and 2 draws. In their last 10 league games they have won 8, drawn 1 and lost 1, and they now trail Dortmund by only 5 points. German clubs get a 1 month break over Christmas/New Year while we were playing every few days. But we’re out of the FA Cup so we have 9 days before the game while Bayern play Augsburg in the league on Friday night.

Muller is suspended for both legs. Neuer has missed the last 2 games with a thumb injury but it sounds like he’ll be back. Van Dijk being suspended is a big blow for us and compounded by the fact Gomez is already out and Lovren is struggling. We could end up with Matip and Fabinho at CB. On the plus side Trent is back and Klopp will know everything there is to know about Bayern.

Liverpool Squad

GOALKEEPERS: Alisson Becker, Simon Mignolet, Caoimhin Kelleher, Kamil Grabara

DEFENDERS: Virgil Van Dijk, Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez, Alberto Moreno, Andy Robertson, Joël Matip, Nathaniel Phillips, Ki-Jana Hoever, George Johnston, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Masterson

MIDFIELDERS: Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum, James Milner, Naby Keïta, Sadio Mané, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Xherdan Shaqiri, Curtis Jones, Rafael Camacho, Pedro Chirivella

FORWARDS: Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi, Rhian Brewster

Bayern Munich squad

GOALKEEPERS: Manuel Neuer, Sven Ulreich, Christian Früchtl, Ron-Torben Hoffmann

DEFENDERS: Niklas Süle, Mats Hummels, Rafinha, Jérôme Boateng, David Alaba, Maxime Awoudja, Lars Lukas Mai

MIDFIELDERS: Thiago Alcántara, Franck Ribéry, Javi Martínez, Arjen Robben, James Rodríguez, Leon Goretzka, Alphonso Davies, Wooyeong Jeong, Jonathan Meier, Corentin Tolisso, Paul Will, Joshua Kimmich, Renato Sanches, Meritan Shabani

FORWARDS: Robert Lewandowski, Serge Gnabry, Thomas Müller, Kingsley Coman, Oliver Batista Meier, Joshua Zirkzee, Maximilian Franzke
Last edited by Pig Catcher on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Dejan Lovren apparently won't make it. Fabinho has a minor injury as well, but probably nothing serious.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Play the reserves, save everyone for United.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm wrote:Play the reserves, save everyone for United.

I hope you are joking mate....CL title is a priority and we should play our strongest outfit..Their is nothing better then going to Manchester after a Win against Bayern.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:53 pm

only me » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm wrote:Play the reserves, save everyone for United.

I hope you are joking mate....CL title is a priority and we should play our strongest outfit..Their is nothing better then going to Manchester after a Win against Bayern.

It’s not a priority over the title - would rather save the players for Utd if there is any slight doubts
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Dropping out of the cups is one thing, but sacrificing the CL is something else entirely. We should try to win it for the sake of keeping the momentum at least, dropping out of it won't do us any good. Though admittedly I wouldn't be too concerned if we got knocked out by Bayern, while I'd be absolutely torn if we get beat by the mancs or miss out on the league title again.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 pm

This will be an interesting one, Klopp against his old rivals. Crucial we get a good lead in the first leg so we can some what take it easy in Germany.

With VVD suspended we will struggle at the back. I juat hope we keep it calm and don't panic.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Over the last 29 years we've probably mustered 4 genuine title challenges and that's including this one, seriously, ***** the CL, we should be focussing 100% on winning the title. No distractions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Just got my ticket for this one  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock

Going to be a great game, but really worried about VVD being out.  I'm going for a vervy 2-1 win to us
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Enjoy it mate I'm sure it will be an epic night.

Btw on other news mannire 2-0 down home to psg. :D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm

redshade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm wrote:Enjoy it mate I'm sure it will be an epic night.

Btw on other news mannire 2-0 down home to psg. :D

Just watching that now  :laugh:

Loving how Manure's defence and midfield can't cope with PACE and PRESSING.  Salah and Mane will tear them a new one  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 pm

I hope they do lose because it will put them back down to earth.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Ha lost 2-0 and Pogba sent off.. screw you mannure!!

Even though they still will play hardcore against us however at least it has knocked their confidence somewhat.

I hope Chelsea kick them out of the FA cup next.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 pm

The sooner they tie down Solskjaer to a contract the better. Hope it's gonna happen before he gets found out.

Good thing they'll probably drop out of the CL right before they play Man City, they'll have more reason to beat them to finish in the top 4, their only remaining hope to play in Europe next year.

This defeat will bring them back down to Earth but I don't think it will change much for us, as I imagine their match against us is more important to them than this one.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 pm

damjan193 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 pm wrote:The sooner they tie down Solskjaer to a contract the better. Hope it's gonna happen before he gets found out.

Totally agree.

Hoping he'll get the job, spend a load of cash and then be sacked by Christmas.  That should put them back another 12 months  :D
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games