Liverpool vs Bayern Munich, Tuesday 19th February, 20:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Boocity » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 am

I am not too disappointed with 0-0 as long as they didn't get an away goal. We score one at Bayern and they need two. However, we were wasteful in front of goal and should have put at least two of the attempts away, we should stop these breaks in sunnier climes as it doesn't do our attack much good in the first match back. I think some of them left the scoring boots on the beach.
Remember the 1981 semi final where we drew 0-0 at home then drew 1-1 in Bayern and went through on away goals.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 am

Thought Hendo ,Fab ,Arnold and Firmino were the better players last night in an overall ok performance i guess.
For some unknown reason this team after so much games together still lacks this cohesion and stability in which all parts of the team click and execute smoothly..
Mane can't shake his immature behavior and wastefulness ,Salah also not really focused and prepared ,Gini MIA in most parts of the game and Keita while pretty involved far from being effective and precise..Robbo with another average not typical display..

The positives i take from the game, keeping a clean sheet (Super important) ,Bayen losing their RB ,We getting VVD back and restoring Fab to his best position and an overall impression that we are the better team.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 am

It was a shitty game in a heavy metal style!!, Credit to Bayern they were very strong and it will be so tough to get something out of them at their ground.

All the players did well apart from Abu Falafel, master of the duds Firmino, the Klopp's Jocker Origi
outstanding, Mane, Henderson, and Fabhino
Sunday's game will the biggest test of the season, however, on yesterday showing there is no hope!! DREAM ON
algymoon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Obviously our away form in Europe has been p1ss poor stretching back to Roma last season so we will need to significantly improve on that score but that aside 0-0 is not the worst result, as I said last night it's better than 1-1 or 2-2 etc.
Bayern will be aware that if we score 1 goal they will need 2, plus even if they are beating us 1-0 in the 89th minute 1 goal from us and they are out. They can be winning one minute and in a fraction of a second not just pulled back level but actually out of the tournament. Apparently their defence has been iffy this season as well so they will be terrified of conceding which will make them even more nervous at the back.
Iirc it was 0-0 in the first leg at Anfield back in 81 and Bayern thought they had done the job then, Howie Gale and Ray Kennedy had other idea's though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 pm

That was exactly like Leicester and West Ham after our last extended break. The players weren’t sharp and making sloppy errors they don’t normally make. No more extended breaks between games for the rest of the season please!

I thought both fullbacks were sloppy on the ball and Robbo was also poor at the back. Robbo’s worst game in a reds shirt IMO. Gnabry breezed past him with ease on two separate occasions. Both CBs actually did OK. One or two moments where Matip wasn’t decisive but I thought he did a good job on one of the best CFs in the business. Henderson was excellent and made a number of crucial challenges. Keita was superb in the first half and looked more confident than I’ve ever seen him but he faded badly in the second half. Gini was a little quieter than usual in that advanced role. It worked against Bournemouth but I’m not quite sure he can play it when teams are happy to sit back. Salah was off colour and Firmino faded after being quite bright for an hour. Understandable considering he’s been ill. Despite missing the one real chance we had, Mane again looked sharp and our best threat.

Bayern played like seasoned pros who’ve been on the Champions League circuit for years. They simply refused to get into a high tempo game. From the off they were happy to move the ball slowly and not overcommit their positions. Will be different in Munich but I still don’t think they’ll use their fullbacks as they normally do as they know Salah and Mane will exploit that space. They’ll attack more but won’t be camped out in the final third like they normally are. The midfield will really need to put on a performance over there and I think Fabinho might just be key.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Pig Catcher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm wrote:That was exactly like Leicester and West Ham after our last extended break. The players weren’t sharp and making sloppy errors they don’t normally make. No more extended breaks between games for the rest of the season please!

I thought both fullbacks were sloppy on the ball and Robbo was also poor at the back. Robbo’s worst game in a reds shirt IMO. Gnabry breezed past him with ease on two separate occasions. Both CBs actually did OK. One or two moments where Matip wasn’t decisive but I thought he did a good job on one of the best CFs in the business. Henderson was excellent and made a number of crucial challenges. Keita was superb in the first half and looked more confident than I’ve ever seen him but he faded badly in the second half. Gini was a little quieter than usual in that advanced role. It worked against Bournemouth but I’m not quite sure he can play it when teams are happy to sit back. Salah was off colour and Firmino faded after being quite bright for an hour. Understandable considering he’s been ill. Despite missing the one real chance we had, Mane again looked sharp and our best threat.

Bayern played like seasoned pros who’ve been on the Champions League circuit for years. They simply refused to get into a high tempo game. From the off they were happy to move the ball slowly and not overcommit their positions. Will be different in Munich but I still don’t think they’ll use their fullbacks as they normally do as they know Salah and Mane will exploit that space. They’ll attack more but won’t be camped out in the final third like they normally are. The midfield will really need to put on a performance over there and I think Fabinho might just be key.

Agree with most of this apart from the bit on Keita being superb in the first half. He was decent to good but an eye catching moment here and there doesn't equate to a superb performance by him for me imo.
Doeboy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games