Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

Kash_Mountain » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:49 am wrote:Someone within the club needs to  give BR a few hard boots up the backside,  sit him down and give him a few hard slaps, and ask him what the F**k he thinks he is doing by tinkering needlessly. It's not clever and he should not be playing around as if it was Football Manager 2014.

Not quite sure how you mean?   
We have several new players that we are trying to fit in and several injuries as well. 

We also have no fit strikers capable of the movement we had last year.  He is trying to figure things out.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 am

after all the garb he was giving over the summer about not just buying any player but "strategically " picking them, not just throwing any old body in but the right one that is going to make the difference. he made it out like he thought hard about getting the right players in while not doing a tottenham so therefore he deserves stick imo seen as we look absolutely disjointed in every single department.
nothing has improved. our defense is actually worse while we have lost any spark we had in other areas.
there is far too many inconsistencies in what he says and then does.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am wrote:after all the garb he was giving over the summer about not just buying any player but "strategically " picking them, not just throwing any old body in but the right one that is going to make the difference. he made it out like he thought hard about getting the right players in while not doing a tottenham so therefore he deserves stick imo seen as we look absolutely disjointed in every single department.
nothing has improved. our defense is actually worse while we have lost any spark we had in other areas.
there is far too many inconsistencies in what he says and then does.

It was always going to be hard to adapt to losing our star player, regardless of what happened. 
What we really needed was to bed in the new players while keeping some experience. 
Therefore, it hasn't helped that Sturridge, Allen, Skrtel,  Flanno and Johnson have all been injured while Coutinho is struggling to find any form.

We have been forced to field a new look defence, attack and a midfield we know doesn't work.  (gerrard and lucas)

It will click eventually, but we really need Sturridge and Allen back and Coutinho to find form.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 am wrote:
damjan193 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 pm wrote:Are you seriously arguing whether or not tactics have a meaning in football? Or am I reading it wrong?
???  ???

Where the f*ck did I say that? ???

Tactics are important to an extent, but to suggest its the be all and end all or the most important thing is complete and utter bull sh*t. If you have Messi and Suarez upfront, the "tactic" you you employ is to get them on the ball as much as possible. Tactics revolve around players quality, all the average players in world tactically well drilled will not make a league winning side.

You have to have quality players. As I said to you earlier in the summer, the first 11 needed improving, not the squad. You disagree, suprise, suprise you were wrong. As was the manager.

Obviously I've read it a bit wrong but I still don't think that it's quite the way you put it. The thing is, you can't have one without the other. You can't put it like "tactics win you 25% of games, quality players win you the rest", that's not how it works. In order to be a winning team, you need both, you need to tactically manage quality players and you can't really say which is more important.

But good tactics can get you the right results even if your rival has more quality players than you, granted that your players shouldn't be absolutely Sh*t. There are a few good examples how good tactics can win you titles, I'm just going to concentrate on the most recent one which is Atletico Madrid. Atletico's players weren't Sh*t, far from it, but they were still miles behind the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid in terms of player's quality, yet still managed to win the league and reach the CL final.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at here. We obviously haven't singed anyone of Di Maria's or Falcao's caliber, but the likes of Lallana, Balotelli etc. are far from horrible signings. There's also the likes of Sterling and Sturrdige among the quality players that we already had. If these players are managed well, I think that we can achieve good results. Therefor, I refuse to admit that you were right (not yet anyway), far too early, only 5 games in. You're not very credible anyway, you say the same stuff every year.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:44 pm

damjan193 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm wrote:Obviously I've read it a bit wrong but I still don't think that it's quite the way you put it. The thing is, you can't have one without the other. You can't put it like "tactics win you 25% of games, quality players win you the rest", that's not how it works. In order to be a winning team, you need both, you need to tactically manage quality players and you can't really say which is more important.

But good tactics can get you the right results even if your rival has more quality players than you, granted that your players shouldn't be absolutely Sh*t. There are a few good examples how good tactics can win you titles, I'm just going to concentrate on the most recent one which is Atletico Madrid. Atletico's players weren't Sh*t, far from it, but they were still miles behind the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid in terms of player's quality, yet still managed to win the league and reach the CL final.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at here. We obviously haven't singed anyone of Di Maria's or Falcao's caliber, but the likes of Lallana, Balotelli etc. are far from horrible signings. There's also the likes of Sterling and Sturrdige among the quality players that we already had. If these players are managed well, I think that we can achieve good results. Therefor, I refuse to admit that you were right (not yet anyway), far too early, only 5 games in. You're not very credible anyway, you say the same stuff every year.

Wow, one team in one country (who by the way had an excellent side with some fantastic players) managed to win a league once and you're making out tactics are more important than quality.

I'll tell you why the best teams over periods of times win the most leagues, thats because they have the best players.

Anyone who argues with that needs their head examining! To be honest, you must be a mental patient if you can't see and understand that!  ???
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 pm

United didn't have the best side the last say 5 times they won the league

So who is going to win the league this year stu

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Course they didn't.

As I said... a mental patient... :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 am

LFC1990 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm wrote:United didn't have the best side the last say 5 times they won the league

What absolute rubbish.

Yes agree that City had a better side in 2012-2013.

But the other four seasons:

2006–07,
2007–08,
2008–09,
2010–11

Manure had the likes of players like Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov (when he was actually decent), Scholes, Giggs (even tho both were aging), etc
FFS they did the double in 2007-2008 with the CL and league, you don't do that by not HAVING great players in your side.
Between 2006 and 2009 have a look at how many Manure players filled the PFA team of the year compared to other sides!!!!!

What a stupid, stupid thing to say.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:49 am

eds » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 am wrote:
LFC1990 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm wrote:United didn't have the best side the last say 5 times they won the league

What absolute rubbish.

2006–07,
2007–08,
2008–09,
2010–11

Manure had the likes of players like Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov (when he was actually decent), Scholes, Giggs (even tho both were aging), etc
FFS they did the double in 2007-2008 with the CL and league, you don't do that by not HAVING great players in your side.
Between 2006 and 2009 have a look at how many Manure players filled the PFA team of the year compared to other sides!!!!!

Firstly please tell me where i said united didnt have great players

Secondly if you are going to name the great players that United had and you come up with Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez  2006-2007 chelsea side boasted Robben Lampard Drogba Shevchenko Ballack Essien

If you seriously compare squads from the last 5 times United won the league Citeh Chelsea and Arsenal ahave the better players man for man

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:00 am

LFC1990 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 am wrote:
eds » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 am wrote:

What absolute rubbish.

2006–07,
2007–08,
2008–09,
2010–11

Firstly please tell me where i said united didnt have great players

Secondly if you are going to name the great players that United had and you come up with Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez  2006-2007 chelsea side boasted Robben Lampard Drogba Shevchenko Ballack Essien

If you seriously compare squads from the last 5 times United won the league Citeh Chelsea and Arsenal ahave the better players man for man

What drugs are you on?

I'm addressing this statement you said NOTHING else:

"United didn't have the best side the last say 5 times they won the league "

I'm arguing that Manure indeed had the strongest team in 4 out of their last 5 title winning seasons, because they HAD great players.

I never said that you thought (or said) they didn't have GREAT players, so I have no idea what other tangent you are trying to spin this seeing as you have been caught out with a massive whooper with cheese.

Nice that you have totally ignored my argument of awards such as PFA player of year, which between seasons 2006-2007 and 2010-2011 (when Manure won 4 of their last 5 titles) they had this many player appearances:

Manure  25

daylight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Arsenal 8
Liverpool 5
Chelsea 5
Aston Villa 4
Tottenham 2
Man City 2
Portsmouth 2

As for comparing the 2006-2007 squads only Chelsea could match Manure, man-for-man that season.
Arsenal's squad (not including Henry) doesn't even come close to these two in that time period and Man City :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: you silly f**k they were a joke in 2006-2007 not only that right up until 2010 when they actually started bringing in quality players.

So the fact that you don't think Manure didn't have one of the strongest sides, if the not the strongest side in their 4 out of their last 5 title winning seasons is completely f**king stupid and clueless.  :no  :no  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:19 pm

eds » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:00 am wrote:
What drugs are you on?

I'm addressing this statement you said NOTHING else:

"United didn't have the best side the last say 5 times they won the league "

I'm arguing that Manure indeed had the strongest team in 4 out of their last 5 title winning seasons, because they HAD great players.

I never said that you thought (or said) they didn't have GREAT players, so I have no idea what other tangent you are trying to spin this seeing as you have been caught out with a massive whooper with cheese.

Nice that you have totally ignored my argument of awards such as PFA player of year, which between seasons 2006-2007 and 2010-2011 (when Manure won 4 of their last 5 titles) they had this many player appearances:

Manure  25

daylight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Arsenal 8
Liverpool 5
Chelsea 5
Aston Villa 4
Tottenham 2
Man City 2
Portsmouth 2

As for comparing the 2006-2007 squads only Chelsea could match Manure, man-for-man that season.
Arsenal's squad (not including Henry) doesn't even come close to these two in that time period and Man City :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: you silly f**k they were a joke in 2006-2007 not only that right up until 2010 when they actually started bringing in quality players.

So the fact that you don't think Manure didn't have one of the strongest sides, if the not the strongest side in their 4 out of their last 5 title winning seasons is completely f**king stupid and clueless.  :no  :no  :no

I wouldn't let him wind you up, his lack of intelligence is frightening. If he done an IQ test it wouldn't suprise me if the score came back as a negative, I think he actually brings new meaning to the word stupid. His response is usually to also act like Louis Spence... :laugh:

On the players debate, the fact is, you won't win f*ck all (apart from the odd tin pot) without top players, (before any muppet starts about Benitez's Liverpool, he had Hyypia, Alonso and Gerrard at his disposal who were all top players) you don't have to always have THE BEST SQUAD AND PLAYERS ON PAPER, but you must have mostly comparible and quality players to compete. A team with 11 top class players may beat a side with two world class players over 38 games, but the fact is LFC don't have anyone of that sort of quality.

Without quality players, you can forget it. Usually, 9 times out of 10, the best sides have the best players (again 9 times out of 10 ten coincide) and will often win the most trophiies.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Below are just some of the reasons I said "Someone within the club needs to  give BR a few hard boots up the backside,  sit him down and give him a few hard slaps, and ask him what the F**k he thinks he is doing by tinkering needlessly. It's not clever and he should not be playing around as if it was Football Manager 2014"

1: Its evident that BR has employed new tactics this season, he’s been tinkering, why? well that’s anyone’s guess!.  Basically we are dropping deeper and holding onto positions defensively. To me, It really seems  like BR is concerned that our pressing, quick pass and move game was dragging players out of position, leaving space for the opposition to attack., and yes to  a certain degree it does. What BR has to understand/remember is that dropping off and handing the ball back (yes, that is what we are doing) to our opposition is just asking for trouble. The way we are playing at the current time requires a very high work-rate throughout the team. It also requires our defensively minded players to get stuck in to block the opposition, and right now, we are not doing this. Don’t get me wrong, I think we have good players, just not those required for the tactics that BR has introduced this season so far. We really need go on the offensive with the players we now have. Sterling and Markovic can run the channels for instance. Btw, Sterling should never be put in the middle as that is not his game, and I think the change of tactics has affected Courtinho’s game.

2: The rubbish and needless messing about i.e. tinkering (sorry, but BR is maybe trying to be clever, but really just needs to keep it simple) is the thing that really stops the players having any real chance of working on combining/gelling as a team. Why o why rest a player (RS) after just a few games?  The thing is, if RS can’t manage to play the first 8 -10  games without burning out, then something is definitely wrong with LFC’s training methods et al they have for him and requires drastic/sensible changes. Also, BR actually states that he chose to rest RS when playing Aston Villa  because of the up-coming CL game.  Fair enough, however, why on earth would he then allow RS to play the full game against Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup (i.e. 120+ minutes) when he also states that the EPL is our “bread and butter”. It really doesn’t make any sense. He really needs to take a step back and think about what he is communicating to the Press and the World (not sure BR has worked out the requirements for this season!!).

IMO, BR should not be worrying himself with player tiredness when we are only 5 games into the season, worry about it if and when that issue arises. Look, if RS is not having a good time and is tired etc and requires rest, then he really should be rested on the days we have no games and away from training. BR also really should stop planning 5 or 6 (or whatever it is) games ahead. He should take it on a game by game basis as he isn’t going to know who will be fit, therefore making these ‘long term’ plans is just crazy.  Btw, it’s starting to show how reliant we are on a 19 year old. That can’t be good.

3: One of the gripes so far, and this was one of the essential priorities, which is that The Transfer Committee / BR did not bring in a much needed Goal keeper, and now it’s biting us up the backside. Don’t get me wrong, we bought some good players, however, some would argue that a couple of these maybe weren’t really required.  In come a load of attacking midfielders when we actually have plenty of them. This then forced the Club to send what we already have out on loan. The Club needs to take a serious look at these issues and get them resolved quickly. It’s already looking like it will be a difficult season for BR, but he’s making things worst by trying to be clever and overthinking things. Doing this just complicates matters and doesn’t help us fans. He is a Coach, so he needs to ensure the basic elements are right such good technique and good positioning etc, get these right, then we’ll be laughing..

4: Also, the position BR has created for Stevie G is not right for him. Essentially, the opposition are marking SG tightly, as a result of this we have problems getting the ball up-field. If we look at the game against Tottsh1te, we played with two upfront, DS and MB, both wanted the ball from the wings. Doing that proved to be successful as Tottsh1te were a player short in midfield when they man marked SG.  Against West Ham, we tried it, but Borini for all his efforts just couldn't cut it like DS. DS gets marked by two players because he has pace to burn. IMO having DS, MB, and RS up-field give our midfielders more time and space on the ball. Having said that,  BR must surely know this, well I hope he does! The thing that stands out is that both RS and LM should be running the flanks/out wide. This would definitely create space in the middle, and if the opposition defence doesn't drop back, then both can get in behind them. These new tactics and SG position is not helping Hendo either. Hendo was pressing and making runs etc, this season none of that, one of the reasons is that he’s having to help out SG at the back.

5: When we played West Ham, Balotelli was clearly attempting to press forward with the ball, and was unsettling the opposition defence, the thing is, not one of the other LFC players attempted to help him out, nobody stepped up to the plate. If they had, I am sure we could have turned the game to our advantage, by that I mean we could then attack them but we didn’t. However, because of the tactics employed by BR, the LFC players just dropped back and watched all this happen. Once MB realised he was on his own, he just stopped as well. If we continued like last season, i..e press and win the ball high up the pitch, we would have created many countless opportunities to score. We have MB now, there is no more LS, and what is required is a change of tactics and for the whole team to step up to the plate and press, press, press. Currently that won’t happen if we carry on in the same vain as we have played in the last 5 games (barring the Tottsh1te game off course).

6:  We are in a transition, oh yes we are. Not sure what BR was really talking about- during the start of the season, BR stated that the players would “gel” . Before the West Ham game he “believed the team would improve in the second part of the season”, however, just following the game, he states that “the players lacked the intensity”. I for one hopes he hasn’t written the season off already!!  FSG must be having kittens by statements like these, particularly the one about improving in the second part of the season, well, what about the first part.

7: I think BR has also changed tack on youth, I know a couple have had games, most recently the Capital One Cup, but he said more of the youth will get a chance this season, but instead, loaned out loads or moved them on permanently.

8: I understand we have players injured, but we have other players that can come in to continue the way we played last season. Yes I know Suarez was our best player (world class), but, we don’t have Suarez now, it’s not the end of the world, we must carry on.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ballotelliman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:11 pm

dont think brendan should of said about daniel not playing for england even if daniel plays on saturday against west brom. i agree with him but its gona get us a whole load of bad press. at the end of day its upto daniel at the end of the day.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:20 pm

ballotelliman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:11 pm wrote:dont think brendan should of said about daniel not playing for england even if daniel plays on saturday against west brom. i agree with him but its gona get us a whole load of bad press. at the end of day its upto daniel at the end of the day.

Not really, he may be fit enough to play for 20 mins but not fit enough to link up with the England squad with the rigors of two international matches. Had he been fit a week ago you may have had a point.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Isn't Mourinho taking a similar stance over Costa? He's playing him for Chelsea but advising Spain not to pick him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion