Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 pm wrote:This season has been a shock to the system. The form of Suarez has been absolutely ridiculous and Sturridge has also heavily contributed. Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season... lets hope he can finish it off in style! :)

But I thought you said we'll finish 5th at best :D

Due to United's fantastic failiure it looks like we're pretty much nailed on for top four.

If we can finish above Arsenal then its a superb achievement.
Suarez has moved up a level this season, Coutinho is superb, Gerrard is currently rolling back the years and Henderson has actually looked like a footballer this season and a good one at that. Not to mention the superb form of Flannagan, Sterling and Sturridge... all of which were completely unaccounted for at the start of the season. Major progress has been made, lets hope it continues.

I don't doubt that we will be in the top four at the end of the season (unless Spurs beat us next weekend and we stumble dramatically after that) but I think we need to finish above Arsenal in third to be certain of qualification for the champions league.

We can't control what United do in Europe and while it's unlikely that they'll go on to win it you couldn't rule them out. Though I think we will finish above Arsenal in at least third it's not certain they've never missed out on qualifying under Wenger.
friendlyguy33

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 pm

starting to look like a couple of massive referee decisions could prove exceedingly costly.... Should E'too have been sent off at the bridge against us then he wouldn't have been there to score the winner. Likewise, had Webb given the blatent penalty then we'd be (theoretically at least) a point better off while chelsea would be 2 less. Should our goal at the etihad have counted there's more than a chance of another point our way and 2 off that of citys'.... but they say these things even out over a season? Are we due a massive helping hand in a couple of the remaining home games I wonder?
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 pm

KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm wrote:starting to look like a couple of massive referee decisions could prove exceedingly costly.... Should E'too have been sent off at the bridge against us then he wouldn't have been there to score the winner. Likewise, had Webb given the blatent penalty then we'd be (theoretically at least) a point better off while chelsea would be 2 less. Should our goal at the etihad have counted there's more than a chance of another point our way and 2 off that of citys'.... but they say these things even out over a season? Are we due a massive helping hand in a couple of the remaining home games I wonder?

Firstly, welcome back fella ,I think a nice part of our revival is the numbers of returning original members to the forum ...I think this season we have already
enjoyed our fair share of decisions purely in terms of awarded penalties,as we couldn't buy a penalty under Kenny.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Things do even themselves out to a degree but dropping 6 points in games that we deserved more from is a bitter pill to swallow. Chelsea will no doubt moan and understandably about Willian being sent off against Villa in a game that they ultimately lost. Shit happens and I just hope we can return the favours when Chelsea and City come to Anfield. Those matches are looking to be the most important two games we will play in a very long time. I'm already a bag of fecking nerves  :)
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:53 pm

KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm wrote:starting to look like a couple of massive referee decisions could prove exceedingly costly.... Should E'too have been sent off at the bridge against us then he wouldn't have been there to score the winner. Likewise, had Webb given the blatent penalty then we'd be (theoretically at least) a point better off while chelsea would be 2 less. Should our goal at the etihad have counted there's more than a chance of another point our way and 2 off that of citys'.... but they say these things even out over a season? Are we due a massive helping hand in a couple of the remaining home games I wonder?

Id sooner look at the losses to Southampton and Hull as games we should have picked up points in.
Also Newcastle were they had a player less for 45 mins and we failed to win. 

But nobody expected a title challenge at all so I'm happy with the season in general as long as we make top 4 and qualify for CL.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 pm wrote:Things do even themselves out to a degree but dropping 6 points in games that we deserved more from is a bitter pill to swallow. Chelsea will no doubt moan and understandably about Willian being sent off against Villa in a game that they ultimately lost. Shit happens and I just hope we can return the favours when Chelsea and City come to Anfield. Those matches are looking to be the most important two games we will play in a very long time. I'm already a bag of fecking nerves  :)

One game at a time mate, that Cardiff game had Hull mark 2 written all over it at one point.
Sunderland are another bottom 3 side fighting for their lives and they have beaten the likes of City and Everton in the league this season (not to mention Chelsea and United in the cup) and are well capable of upsetting the odds.
Adam Johnson has caused us trouble in the past as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Focus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:49 am

It is getting harder to win the title these days than when it was in the 70s and 80s. Now we have so many strong teams namely City and Chelsea eyeing the title. We are still contenders and mathematically, it is definitely possible to win it. Brendan knows how to relieve all the pressures off his players by not being totally vivid to the press about winning the title this year. But deep in his heart, I believe he wants to win it. And why not? Why wait until next season when right now we're flying high and City and Chelsea could drop points and we're yet to play them on our own turf. I encourage him to do all he can to win it because next season, manure and spurs will strengthen and legendary Dutch coach L.Van Gaal will most likely manage either manure or spurs which will create another strong competitor. So Brendan and all our players, "GO FOR IT, DON"T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!"
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby nithis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 am

Greetings guys...I'm Nithis, new forum member from Malaysia
nithis
LFC newBie

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:38 am

Well they clearly are going for it. There's no suggestion whatsoever that the team will not put it in all the way.

IMO there are two key games that will define our and our opponents chances of winning the league. Chelsea and Man City at home. I think as long as we do not lose to either of these (at least two draws) we will be in for a shout of the title come the final game of the season.

My friend at work purchased hospitality tickets for Newcastle at home (last game of the season), obviously he never imagined the position we'd be in now. I truly hope for his sake at least that the Newcastle game is a key one.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Red Focus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:49 am wrote:It is getting harder to win the title these days than when it was in the 70s and 80s. Now we have so many strong teams namely City and Chelsea eyeing the title. We are still contenders and mathematically, it is definitely possible to win it. Brendan knows how to relieve all the pressures off his players by not being totally vivid to the press about winning the title this year. But deep in his heart, I believe he wants to win it. And why not? Why wait until next season when right now we're flying high and City and Chelsea could drop points and we're yet to play them on our own turf. I encourage him to do all he can to win it because next season, manure and spurs will strengthen and legendary Dutch coach L.Van Gaal will most likely manage either manure or spurs which will create another strong competitor. So Brendan and all our players, "GO FOR IT, DON"T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!"

I disagree with your first sentence mate, in the late 70 's early 80's you had 3 European cup winning teams (Liverpool, Forest and Villa) and a UEFA cup winning team (Ipswich) all playing in the first division, and that's without mentioning the traditional giants Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton who were always there or thereabouts.
You had great managers like Paisley, Clough and Bobby Robson who knew how to build great sides by signing players from the lower divisions, they knew their art unlike the chequebook managers of today who if in doubt just rush out and buy another superstar.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Even the traditional giants were skint by comparison to the likes of City and Chelsea who have proved that there is more than one way to win the title. Results and titles back then were not simply bought,they were achieved.That in my opinion is the biggest difference and one that I don't subscribe to. Money always talks to a certain extent in all sports. City and Chelsea however raised the bar and to a certain extent have simply bought their titles.  Back then teams
also had to play a lot more games to win the title which in itself alone made winning the title more difficult.
Last edited by devaney on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:10 am wrote:
Red Focus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:49 am wrote:It is getting harder to win the title these days than when it was in the 70s and 80s. Now we have so many strong teams namely City and Chelsea eyeing the title.

Back in the day a lot more clubs had a chance at building a side for a shot at the title, nowadays most clubs are stripped of their prize players by the super rich before they have a chance to even get going

In the last 20 years of the old 1st division seven different teams won the league, you also saw fewer teams "running away" with the title and apart from the big names of the day Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Leeds etc. runners up also included the likes of Ipswich, Watford and Southampton.The teams in the 70s/80's era were much closer to each other in terms of finance and consequently they were more able to compete with each other for the best players. It could therefore be argued that prior to the introduction of the Premier league (and all the money that followed) the old first division was far more competitive than today's premiership and consequently because it was more competitive it was harder to win.

On the other hand ( :D )

In the 20 years of the Premiership there have been just five winners (4 if you discount the flash in the pan Blackburn). Winners have often romped home with the title and apart from just a couple of seasons, since it's inception all the runners up spots have usually been filled by one of three teams. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal .
There's no doubt that financial muscle has changed the face of our top division and that when it comes to competing for players the market is now dominated by just three teams, City, Chelsea and Utd. As long as this imbalance in financial muscle exists allowing those teams to scoop up almost any player they set their sights on it's going to be a mammoth task for any other club to dislodge them.
It could therefore be argued that the dominance of the super rich clubs has actually made the Premiership less competitive but nevertheless far harder for teams (other than the super rich) to win.

Personally I think I agree with Red Focus with the caveat that aside from the super rich, winning the title is far harder in the Premiership era.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Focus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Well said Woof Woof(see above). You have said what I meant. Thanks.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby only me » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Fck United for not lending a hand to a friend  :) ,Really feel for Wenger you just knew it was coming...City are pretty close to sealing the deal. Can't see them losing anywhere (but Anfield).
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Well at least Arsenal drew so it will be safe to cheer for them next week. We really need City to drop points in at least one game besides against us.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion