Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm

You can't compare though. in 08/09  we were in the champions league. This season with zero pressure and the focus is only the league, hence we are performing way above expectation. Imagine if we had the Europa League to contend for, I think it would have been a bit different.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 pm

winning the title is going to be very difficult despite our promising form and league position.

however, there is some powerful newkit magic that we can perform that will massively increase our chances, and might just be that little extra push that makes it all happen. way back in 2005, the last time we won anything significant, we were doing well in the knock-out phase of the CL despite having a relatively weak team. nobody believed we were going to win it and dalglish (the newkit member, not the ex-player and manager) even went as far as to say he'd show his arse in woolworths window if we won it. and that was all it took.... next thing we know stevie g is hoisting big ears above his head and rafa's got a smug fat grin on his face. dalglish never showed his backside off in the end, which is why we lost the final so disappointingly to the same side 2 years later.

the signs are all there again. we're playing great football and are in a great position with a squad that's not quite good enough. we need that extra bit of newkit magic to make our dreams come real. sadly woolworths no longer exists and dalglish only shows his face on here once in a while. but i've got a plan. i think that if stu agrees to bare his b*ll*c*ks in poundstretcher we're on to a winner.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 pm

andy_g » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:51 pm wrote:winning the title is going to be very difficult despite our promising form and league position.

however, there is some powerful newkit magic that we can perform that will massively increase our chances, and might just be that little extra push that makes it all happen. way back in 2005, the last time we won anything significant, we were doing well in the knock-out phase of the CL despite having a relatively weak team. nobody believed we were going to win it and dalglish (the newkit member, not the ex-player and manager) even went as far as to say he'd show his arse in woolworths window if we won it. and that was all it took.... next thing we know stevie g is hoisting big ears above his head and rafa's got a smug fat grin on his face. dalglish never showed his backside off in the end, which is why we lost the final so disappointingly to the same side 2 years later.

the signs are all there again. we're playing great football and are in a great position with a squad that's not quite good enough. we need that extra bit of newkit magic to make our dreams come real. sadly woolworths no longer exists and dalglish only shows his face on here once in a while. but i've got a plan. i think that if stu agrees to bare his b*ll*c*ks in poundstretcher we're on to a winner.

That really WOULD be stretching a pound.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Kinell Andy if we are reliant on Stu's bollux verbal or dangly,to win the league, then we have a major fecking problem  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 pm

andy_g » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:winning the title is going to be very difficult despite our promising form and league position.

I'm game! If we win it I'll do it! :)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 am

Im not dreaming of the title at all.  We have United, Spurs, City and Chelsea still to play.
Also some other tricky games like Palace away and even Newcastle. 

We'd probably have to win nearly all our games to win the league. 

The pessimist inside me is still looking behind at Spurs and Everton to make sure we can stay ahead of them.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm wrote:
andy_g » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:winning the title is going to be very difficult despite our promising form and league position.

I'm game! If we win it I'll do it! :)

Poundstretcher's shares took a massive dip this morning, possibly as a direct result of your somewhat frightening offer !!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

while i dont think we will win it i believe we have every chance to do so. i thought we have shown great character to pull ourselves back after being top at christmas, the gap could have got bigger but credit to the lads for digging in and pulling back the defeats to city and the chavs with an excellent run.
its early march now and in truth not long to go before the finish line so if with 4-5 games left and we still find ourselves within a few points of it then its fooking on  :buttrock
my expectation this season was 5th and the hope that we at least made a decent go at 4th but to be here now talking about the possibility of even winning the feckin thing is brilliant.
whatever happens, happens but so far its been one hell of a season for us  :buttrock  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:08 pm

From the Mail:

Liverpool have dragged themselves back in to the Barclays Premier League title race with some rampant displays of late.
Here, Sportsmail's Adrian Durham tells us why we should rally behind Brendan Rodgers' team in their bid to lift the league trophy for the first time since 1990.

10 – Liverpool are the only title contenders who have yet to win the Premier League since it began in 1992. Someone new would be refreshing and welcome. Manchester City emerged because of Sheik Mansour’s millions, same with Chelsea and Roman Abramovich. If Liverpool emerge as a title-winning force they will have done it with tactics and brilliant football, more than money.

9 – Liverpool provide several examples of how the crucial thing in life is not the mistakes we all make, but how we respond to those mistakes.
Brendan Rodgers failed at Reading, he was sacked after five wins in 21 games and threatened with relegation. But he rebuilt himself as a manager and bounced back. Jordan Henderson is also worth a mention here. He received heavy criticism after signing for Liverpool. The £20million price tag didn’t help. But he stayed strong, played his football and has come through it as a professional footballer who now commands respect for his conduct on and off the field.

8 – It would be a massive advertisement for coaching in this country. Brendan Rodgers is, of course, from Northern Ireland. But he learned his trade in the English game.
Twenty years ago he was combining coaching in the Reading Academy with working as assistant groundsman at the training ground (the head groundsman was Steve Kean!). Rodgers did the legwork, learned his trade, soaked up knowledge and look where he is now.
Tactical genius. That’s what Brendan Rodgers is. Look at the way Liverpool took control on Saturday at Southampton after half-time.
A lot of managers have been praised this season for showing tactical prowess but none can top what Rodgers has done. He’s changed formation from game-to-game and during games. But more impressive than that, he’s devised a system to allow good players to flourish and enjoy their football.
Tactically Rodgers has shown good results can be achieved by playing open and entertaining football. You might think that’s not so special or unique – other managers play good football and are doing as well as Liverpool. True.
But Rodgers is the only manager to play an expansive, tactically brave game at the same time as managing the high expectations at a club starting at such a low base. Had he shown fear, and been more cautious, Liverpool wouldn’t be so good to watch, and players like Luis Suarez wouldn’t want to hang around at the club. To go from finishing seventh and 28 points behind the champions, to launching a title challenge at the same time as playing such an open entertaining game is the mark of tactical brilliance.

7 – The football Liverpool play is a joy to watch. They’ve hit some of the most spectacular passes of the season so far: Steven Gerrard’s breathtaking ball through to Daniel Sturridge for the Reds’ first goal in the 3-2 win at Fulham; Raheem Sterling’s stunning defence splitter for Sturridge’s opener in the 4-3 win against Swansea recently; Henderson’s back heel for Sturridge’s goal against Aston Villa; and Coutinho’s amazing ball through to Sturridge for the fourth when they blitzed Arsenal.
Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool are all about beautiful passing, fluid movement and great finishing. Yes there’s some bad defending, but how can a team with a policy of scoring more than the opposition – no matter how many the opposition score – be criticised? That’s entertainment.

6 – Anfield will reignite fans’ passion at the very top of the game if Liverpool win the title. Some stadiums are quiet and soulless but not Anfield. If the Premier League champions have fans behind them showing true emotion to encourage their team then others will surely follow suit. Even Old Trafford can be a quiet place.
Just look at Liverpool’s home record since Rodgers took over – the fans have played a major part.

5 – They have shown other clubs who aren’t in the Champions League annually that you don’t have to sell your best players to the so-called bigger boys. Suarez looked all set to leave last summer but Liverpool and John W. Henry dug their heels in and kept their man. Suarez certainly isn’t regretting that decision to stay and sign a new contract now.

4 – If Liverpool win the title, that will motivate Everton even more. And if both Merseyside clubs are fighting hard for success then football in this country will be in a very healthy place. The bulk of my football education happened in the 1980s when Everton and Liverpool took it in turns to be the kings of English football. Both played fantastic football, and had fantastic success at home and abroad.
I can’t wait for that rivalry to be resumed at the very top level of the game. Imagine Everton taking on Liverpool home and away in a Champions League semi-final. If you love football you would just salivate at that possibility. If Liverpool win the title, the pressure will be on Everton and Roberto Martinez to raise their game. This country needs both clubs to be successful.

3 – Liverpool is historically one of England’s finest clubs. They are known globally, they have a rich history of success in Europe that is recognised across the world of football. They belong in the elite. They SHOULD be back competing with the very best in Europe. That’s where Liverpool Football Club belongs. Anyone who knows their football history would agree. 5 European Cups – no English side can match that.

2 – Steven Gerrard deserves to be a title-winning captain. He’s one of the finest players this country has ever produced: he’s got character, strength to go with his ability and quality. He’s a winner – he showed that in 2005. But he’s not had enough players around him to secure the Premier League title he so richly deserves.

1 – Liverpool Football Club have nurtured a core of brilliant young English players. Teenager Sterling looks a certainty to go to the World Cup in my view. Why would Roy Hodgson leave such a talent at home?
He’s playing well, scoring and making goals, he’s a game-changer, and a potential match-winner. A year ago people were suggesting he needed a loan spell in the Championship. The improvement has been amazing. He has to be a serious contender for Young Player of the Year.
Another World Cup certainty in my opinion has to be Henderson. Rodgers has trusted him and he has emerged as a gifted midfielder who can pass the ball and has a goal in him. 
Sturridge was a goal machine waiting to explode. City and Chelsea held him back – but at Liverpool he has catapulted himself onto the big stage in a massive way. 28 goals in 29 Premier League starts is a world-class statistic. Jon Flanagan has seized his chance at full back. Fans of most clubs love a local lad to come through the ranks and make it in the first team. Liverpool have produced legends in recent years. Flanagan has brought dynamism to the team, and I am stunned that neither Roy Hodgson nor Gareth Southgate saw fit to pick him for international duty this week. It’s a huge oversight, and when I interviewed him on Monday Flanagan admitted he was disappointed.
Liverpool are on course to contribute Sturridge, Henderson and Sterling to the World Cup cause this summer. And the England captain as well. That’s impressive.
If the title goes to Anfield it’s a victory for Liverpool. But it’s also a victory for football, and for England.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 pm

metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm wrote:You can't compare though. in 08/09  we were in the champions league. This season with zero pressure and the focus is only the league, hence we are performing way above expectation. Imagine if we had the Europa League to contend for, I think it would have been a bit different.

That's true, but that wasn't my point. That team back in 08/09 was one of the best teams in Europe. At full strength, we were able to beat anyone. The fact that we are now a point better than that 08/09 Liverpool team shows how far we've come, considering where we were just a little over a year ago.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:37 pm

metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:58 pm wrote:You can't compare though. in 08/09  we were in the champions league. This season with zero pressure and the focus is only the league, hence we are performing way above expectation. Imagine if we had the Europa League to contend for, I think it would have been a bit different.

Talking about 2009, have a look at this comparison between the two teams, 2009 takes most places, still can't believe we never won it that year
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/01/rodgers-liverpool-compare-rafas-class-2009/
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:14 pm

We could be breaking a record very soon

maypaxvobiscum

Postby parchpea » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 am

Despite their recent demise a win at Old Trafford would be a massive indicator we are neck and neck
on the run in for the title.

I still sh@t going there but know we have the tools to get it done even without history on our side.

Christ the gauntlets laid down if we triumph there  :nod
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 am

Chelsea just did everyone a massive favor. 1-0 defeat at Villa.

If we don't win the league it looks like we will decide who does. The home games against City & Chelsea in April just look a whole lot more important now for all parties involved.

Could be a 3 horse race right to the end. That is including us of course! Arsenal are having their annual end of season breakdown & injury crisis, I expect they will drop off given their hard run of games.
killerp

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:04 am

maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 pm wrote:We could be breaking a record very soon

That's strange... i don't remember us scoring more goals in 08-09 than this season
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion