Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 pm

This season has been a shock to the system. The form of Suarez has been absolutely ridiculous and Sturridge has also heavily contributed. Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season... lets hope he can finish it off in style! :)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 pm wrote:This season has been a shock to the system. The form of Suarez has been absolutely ridiculous and Sturridge has also heavily contributed. Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season... lets hope he can finish it off in style! :)

But I thought you said we'll finish 5th at best :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:22 pm

We really are in the title race for the last 9 game dash to the finish line. Huge result today, with the added incentive of Chelsea losing to Villa.

The two  crunch games will obviously be Man City and Chelsea, but who knows what will happen with the home advantage. Fingers crossed, Chelsea and Arsenal will draw next weekend and we'll smash Cardiff.

However, for me, it's still City's title, but fingers crossed we'll push them all the way to the wire.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 pm

damjan193 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:48 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 pm wrote:This season has been a shock to the system. The form of Suarez has been absolutely ridiculous and Sturridge has also heavily contributed. Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season... lets hope he can finish it off in style! :)

I don't think any of us really thought we'd be seriously contending for the title, some might have said it out of bravado but deep deep down I doubt they really believed it.
With so many of the top sides changing managers and with us managing to keep Suarez I did hope that we might be able to challenge for 4th but the way this season has panned out has been beyond my wildest expectations, Infact with a 5-0 win at white hart lane, a 5-1 win against Arsenal, a 4-0 derby win now a 3-0 trouncing of United at Old Trafford never mind wildest expectations this season is rapidly exceeding my wildest dreams.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Man City have them games in hand but don't think they will win all 3 personally.

We have been playing the best football in the division for a while now but the media will never
stick its neck out beyond Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal, but they got a wake up call today.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 am

The Contenders Remaining Games

Liverpool

Cardiff - away
Sunderland - home
Tottenham - home
West Ham - away
Man City - home
Norwich - away
Chelsea - home
Palace - away
Newcastle - home

Chelsea

Arsenal - home
Palace - away
Stoke - home
Swansea - away
Sunderland - home
Liverpool - away
Norwich - home
Cardiff - away

Man City

Fulham - home
Man Utd - away
Arsenal - away
Southampton - home
Liverpool - away
Sunderland - home
West Brom - home
Palace - away
Everton - away
Villa - home
West Ham - home

Arsenal

Chelsea - away
Swansea - home
Man City - home
Everton - away
West Ham - home
Hull - away
Newcastle - home
West Brom - home
Norwich - away

Although City and Chelsea remain the bookies favourites, as we approach the final run in there's a REAL chance we could actually win the bloody thing. I still wouldn't discount Arsenal who are in a very similar position to ourselves, same number of games played, same points and who also still have to play Chelsea and City ( although unlike us one of those games is away from home)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 am

I see us winning all the way...Only problem I also see City winning all the way. (part from their loss to us...)...Giving them a 1 point advantage...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I'll be honest. I've been putting a lid on our title chances but I'm getting ridiculously overexcited now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Let's hope the banners at the match yesterday have inspire Moyes to beat Man City. Then he'd have done us two huge favours. Bizarre, but City v United is one of our best hopes.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby aCe' » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Heres my summary of how the title race stands:

MAN CITY - have 4 tough away fixtures (UTD, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton) - win them all and they will deservedly win the title
CHELSEA  - have the easiest set of fixtures but still need to get points against Arsenal at home and Liverpool away - if they can beat the smaller sides and get 2-3 points from their 2 big games then they'll win it
LIVERPOOL - 3 big home games for the title (Tottenham, City, and Chelsea) - the next 4 games will decide whether the Man City, Chelsea, both, or neither game will be a decider for us.
Arsenal - I dont think will figure in the title race after the next 4 fixtures.

However you look at it, the next 4 games will be key for any side with any sort of title ambitions. ManCity have the strongest side but the hardest fixtures, Chelsea have the easiest fixtures but the worst strikeforce and worst schedule (CL participation), and we have problems at the back that make us prone to dropping points against the weakest of opposition. In all likelihood, all sides will drop points against the likes of Stoke and Palace before the season is over so identifying a game as a decider is a little premature on my part.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 am

After the Man Utd game my missus (also a LFC fan) asked... "do you seriously think they could do it?" my response was "yep, I think they can and if they do you can go book us a holiday anywhere you fancy"

Anyway, after I've sobered up I'm regretting that !  Come on Liverpool - cost me 4 grand and win the league!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 am

Saw Benny the Noon the other day, it is as you would expect, devastation...

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:50 pm

There is always a chance to win it if we can steer clear of injuries for our 3 key players namely Suarez, Sturridge and Stevie and they are in their top form in the remaining 9 games. But if one of them or worse 2 of them or all 3 are injured, we not only won't be contenders, but will slide down the table because our squad has no depth. If City, Chel or Arsenal have 3 key players out injured, they probably have 6 more equivalent replacements available to fill in their boots. These are the kinds of clubs we're competing against to win the title. So we all better pray we won't suffer injuries to any of our first team squad, otherwise it's disasterous.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:55 pm

damjan193 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm wrote:

Due to United's fantastic failiure it looks like we're pretty much nailed on for top four.

If we can finish above Arsenal then its a superb achievement. Suarez has moved up a level this season, Coutinho is superb, Gerrard is currently rolling back the years and Henderson has actually looked like a footballer this season and a good one at that. Not to mention the superb form of Flannagan, Sterling and Sturridge... all of which were completely unaccounted for at the start of the season. Major progress has been made, lets hope it continues.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Citehs 4 away games will be the deciding factor, It is in our own hands to finish in the top 2 and the hope of Citeh dropping points to win the league.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion