Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 am

Just been looking at the remaining City fixtures. Obviously we need as many opportunities for them to slip up as possible. We know that beating them will mean they will rely on us dropping points. With the Chelsea game coming this could be a big possibility.

However I also noticed that they have to play Everton AWAY first game in May. Which obviously is an opportunity, but got me thinking about the dilemma for the old blue noses. Presumably by then they will still be chasing CL football.

Imagine the scenario where if Everton beat City they solidify fourth, but as a result hand us the title? :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:47 pm wrote:Imagine the scenario where if Everton beat City they solidify fourth, but as a result hand us the title? :D

Sounds like Christmas :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:31 am

http://www.teamtalk.com/sunderland/9244704/-

this blog by 'the secret footballer' widely believed to be Dave Kitson. Interesting bit about City players not considering us. Also great bit about John Terry :laugh:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

I was so wrong about this season. Was expecting us to do far worse and now we are challenging for the title with it all in our own hands.

/me eats a big slice of humble pie.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 am wrote:Just been looking at the remaining City fixtures. Obviously we need as many opportunities for them to slip up as possible. We know that beating them will mean they will rely on us dropping points. With the Chelsea game coming this could be a big possibility.

However I also noticed that they have to play Everton AWAY first game in May. Which obviously is an opportunity, but got me thinking about the dilemma for the old blue noses. Presumably by then they will still be chasing CL football.

Imagine the scenario where if Everton beat City they solidify fourth, but as a result hand us the title? :D

Every bluenose I know would rather lose to City (scuppering their own chances of getting fourth) than have us win the league. They all say Liverpool winning the league is their ultimate nightmare scenario.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 am wrote:Just been looking at the remaining City fixtures. Obviously we need as many opportunities for them to slip up as possible. We know that beating them will mean they will rely on us dropping points. With the Chelsea game coming this could be a big possibility.

Every bluenose I know would rather lose to City (scuppering their own chances of getting fourth) than have us win the league. They all say Liverpool winning the league is their ultimate nightmare scenario.

I doubt that their players share their opinion though.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:40 pm wrote:

The ones i have spoken to (albeit not those in Liverpool) reluctantly would accept my scenario to get CL football.

Now my ideal scenario is Everton pipping Arsenal to 4th, in the process gifting us the title. Then failing to qualify!

Now that would be a perfect season!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm

you're a bad man southcoast, but I like your style  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 am

I am a bundle of nerves right now.
The premiership is so close that I can almost smell it.
Expectations have gone through the roof at the Conn'Ovar house and my little girl can't quite understand all the euphoria around everyone at home!

But there is a downside to all this and it is that I have gotten hypersensitive and hypersuperstitious about all things concerning Liverpool Football Club. And I mean ANYTHING.

When I read the soundbites coming out of our players mouth about possibly winning it all I get mad and ask out loud why that can't just shut up and focus on the next game?
I know perfectly well that the players are getting asked these questions and they are only responding honestly and that the media will take everything they say out of context and make that into a headline.... I know...
When Other managers and players and ex players and pundits talk about us or our players, I get extremely defensive whether the comments are positive OR negative. When they are positive, I want them to shut the hell up and not jinx us... When they are negative, I want to rip their heads off, the bitter cnuts!

Its irrational, I know. But (as my american friend would say)..... Sh1t, Goddamnit!!! I am having so much fun being irrational and having expectations go through the roof, anticipating every upcoming game like a cup final, having heart palpitations, worrying about every little thing about the team, analyzing all our performances, having my heart in my mouth for every game and living through the work week as just a distraction till our next game.

It has been years since I've been this irrational and long may it continue.
I truly am grateful for the progress we've made this season and I am extremely proud of the team already whatever may happen.
I believe at the start of each and every season. But this is season is the first time..... in a long, looooooooong time that my belief has lasted this long into the season.

Thank you LFC.... I love you to bits!
ConnO'var

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am

I was the same, every time one of our players even acknowledged that we were in the title race then I'd be thinking 'shut up your jinxing us' but then I'd remember that the team don't bear the type of emotional scars that us fans do, over the last 24 years we've all seen us fold like a pack of cards countless times but the likes of Luis, Studge, Raheem, Hendo, Coutinho, Mingolet, Sakho, Joe Allen etc probably wouldn't have a clue what you were on about if you asked them what was the significance of white Armani suits and ray ban sunglasses.
Barring one or two exceptions this is a new team and they probably don't care what happened in the past, even to a local lad like Flanno what happened 18 years ago at the old Wembley is just ancient history.
This team are full of confidence and rightly so because they have earned the right to be, it's that confidence which kept the players believing away at Fulham when we turned around a hopeless situation and it's that confidence which allowed them to go to places like Stoke, Tottenham and even United where we haven't won for years and wipe the floor with them all.
I've come to the conclusion that I want the players to be confident, if they were as nervous as me when I watch the games then they wouldn't even have the wherewithal to tie their bootlaces never mind score a high pressure penalty.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Exactly, ask a winner if he is going to win and he will probably say yes.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Anybody that knows anything about sport will tell you that it is what goes on in your head that really matters. Confidence is a very powerful tool in the same way as belief. The most important tool however that we currently have at our disposal is synergy. During my working life, time and time again, the overall performance has proved to be considerably greater than the sum of the individual parts. We have confidence, belief and synergy working in unison and the result is something incredible. These components simply need to continue working their magic for another 6 games and we might just pull off the impossible dream !! THIS IS NOT A TIME TO BE NERVOUS !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 pm

This Steve Peters is getting a few headlines given our amazing and frankly unexpected rise to the summit.

Hired by Rodgers and maybe his best ever signing  :kungfu:  :buttrock

Think I said it was bollox at the time, naturally  :laugh:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 am

i have to say that this article tempers my optimism a little - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/12/premier-league-deciding-matches

i'm banking on us winning today, but seeing who plays who, week by week, i just don't see man city really slipping up again. there's a chance they'll drop a couple of points at everton but the rest of their games are completely winnable and i would expect them to do so. we have an equally tough game straight up next week and after that some classic banana skins.

its fascinating that the three clubs in the race are all involved with each other, apart from what would be a handy city-chelsea game, and then we all play strugglers. whoever holds their nerve will make it and experience of being there is going to play a big part in that.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 pm

I think the pressure is on City more than us as they know they are expected to win the league
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion