Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KennyisGod....still » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:18 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 pm wrote:
KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm wrote:starting to look like a couple of massive referee decisions could prove exceedingly costly.... Should E'too have been sent off at the bridge against us then he wouldn't have been there to score the winner. Likewise, had Webb given the blatent penalty then we'd be (theoretically at least) a point better off while chelsea would be 2 less. Should our goal at the etihad have counted there's more than a chance of another point our way and 2 off that of citys'.... but they say these things even out over a season? Are we due a massive helping hand in a couple of the remaining home games I wonder?

Firstly, welcome back fella ,I think a nice part of our revival is the numbers of returning original members to the forum ...I think this season we have already
enjoyed our fair share of decisions purely in terms of awarded penalties,as we couldn't buy a penalty under Kenny.

Thanks for the welcome back, been away too long lol.
Only reason I say about these two games in particular is simply the effect that the 'correct' decisions would have had on the table. I know we've had our fair share (or more than) of pens this season, but to be honest I put that down to a more attacking style of play, and I totally agree theres plenty of other games we could look at that we dropped points we should really have taken, but to win your league you need to take points from close rivals - just shows what can happen if you do. Truth be told had those decisions gone as they should the title would now be in our own hands..... maybe after this weekend it will be.

For what it's worth I'm happy where we are, more than really. I wanted Champions League next season, and 4th would have been massive. I expected us to oust maybe Arsenal but to see the gap between us and the other challengers reduce quite so dramatically is unbelievable. To then see us not just overturn but eclipse the gap to the mancs is a huge bonus. Appreciated there are major factors affecting other clubs this season, also that we had no outside interests where Europe was concerned, but then so did a lot of clubs that finished around us last season and they're not challenging with us. I'm sensing a genuine rise of the phoenix, along with Anfield getting the respect back from opposing teams that it deserves and had for so long.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

jacdaniel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 pm wrote:Regardless of how it finishes, we have got to be proud of how we've done this season.  I had us down for finishing 6th this season and possibly challenging for 4th.  Never did i think we'd have a possibility of the title with 7 games to go.

We've been brilliant to watch.  Sit back and we will find a way through your defence, attack us and we'll pick you off on the counter, score some goals and we'll score more.   :D

I sort of feel a similar way, this season I thought Sixth, fourth at absolute best and in no way was I expecting any sort of challenge (even though I believe it to be slightly faint at present). However, its no good us having a season like this and not finishing it off as a season is played over 38 games, not 31... Top four is a good achievement, 3rd would by outstanding and anything more wouldn't be far off a dream.

When you say we've been good to watch too I sort of agree with that... although I am a man who likes to see classy defending and goalkeeping, at times I've found that extremely frustrating. However... going forward we're simply ruthless. We look like we can score 5 against anyone and the clinical finishing of Sturridge and Suarez is backed up superbly by the clinical passing of Gerrard and Coutinho and the endless energy and enthusiasm and sometimes clinical play from Henderson and Sterling who've both really stepped up to the plate.

Henderson, Sterling and Flannagan for me have been like a breath of fresh air this season, three players I didn't think would contribute at all and everyone of them has contributed superbly. They've set their own bar now, its for them to not drop below that standard next season. :)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:15 am

Stu - do you realise that you very nearly agreed with somebody twice in one post! I do hope this is not going to be a trend. Before long you'll be admitting that Skrtel's goals and some of Mignolet's saves have actually helped us just keep on winning and winning and winning  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Thank you Palace. Fantastic result. Absolute true grit. Well played Pullis.

COME ON REDS !! 3 points tomorrow and we are top of the league.

Now if Arsenal and City can draw that would make the day very very special.

A plane for the CHOSEN ONE and maybe a taxi for the SPECIAL ONE !!!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:16 pm

only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:22 pm

If Arsenal do us a favor today, winning the title will be entirely up to us!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Damn it Arsenal come on!!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby C-R » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:18 pm

letting us down ffs  :censored:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41 pm

That's better 1-1 :D
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Well in Arsenal.

Completely in our hands now.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Ok so Man City are now 1 point behind us with 1 game in hand, which is against Sunderland at home I think. So, if they win that game, they will be 2 points ahead of us. In order for us to capitalize on them dropping points today, we have to beat them at Anfield which would give us a 1 point advantage. As for Chelsea, we just have to beat them and Spurs in the upcoming games to ensure that we remain 5 points ahead of them. It's really in our hands now. Would be nice to have a little bit of help from other teams too. It's been a fantastic weekend of results. Let's hope we crush Spurs tomorrow.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby only me » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Which is bigger ,fear of failure or fear of success?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:31 am wrote:Ok so Man City are now 1 point behind us with 1 game in hand, which is against Sunderland at home I think. So, if they win that game, they will be 2 points ahead of us. In order for us to capitalize on them dropping points today, we have to beat them at Anfield which would give us a 1 point advantage. As for Chelsea, we just have to beat them and Spurs in the upcoming games to ensure that we remain 5 points ahead of them. It's really in our hands now. Would be nice to have a little bit of help from other teams too. It's been a fantastic weekend of results. Let's hope we crush Spurs tomorrow.

It will depend in our game tomorrow against spurs. If we win, then city have 2 games in hand, which are Sunderland (if you're correct) and away to Everton, which won't be an easy game.  But like you said, if we win our games and they win theirs, then we beat them we will be a top the table by one point on them, and 5 on chelsea (assuming we beat them as well).
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby parchpea » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:05 pm

If I can use running as an analogy we are at the point where you just shut your eyes, grit your teeth, and peg it to the line and will
either finish first or fourth.

I do know that no team will try harder than us to make it happen, that's players and fans, and wherever we finish will be having given our
absolute maximum.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:58 am

I honestly started believing that when Flamini scored it was going to be our year.

Tomorrow morning's (Aust time) game is going to ridiculous on the nerves, but we have never won things the easy way, well at least in the last 2 decades  :laugh:

With so much pressure now on, we will truly see what these players are made of.

C'mon!!!!!!    :buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion