Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Been posting on here for yonks on and off and never started a thread but making an exception tonight.

I appreciate its become the norm to back off from excitement and the possibility of victory in fear of failure, but I will risk it and say I
honestly believe this team could win the league and is good enough to do it.

Even in defeat at Arsenal in the cup last week, we hammered them, and I saw a side as capable as any I have seen this season.

Rodgers and his players will play it safe publicly but must sense an opportunity here surely, we have a team that is a match for anyone.

Is it just me or do we genuinely have a chance here?
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 pm

We are currently 4 points from top with 12 games to go, so in other words we have a great chance
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 am

We need to improve our defense... otherwise we won't stand a chance... all the hard and good work done by the front 4 goes to waste if the defense is leaking goals...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 am

We have been decimated by injury at the back but are still in the mix.

This team is all about putting the opponent on the back foot and less about defending and you can be successful
without the best defence.

There is no blueprint for success other than winning games and we have a side that can outplay anyone in this league.

May not happen, but I think its about time we had more confidence in ourselves.

We are a formidable opponent in the Premiership and the club know it and its about time we enjoyed it with a sense
of anticipation.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 am

maguskwt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:34 am wrote:We need to improve our defense... otherwise we won't stand a chance... all the hard and good work done by the front 4 goes to waste if the defense is leaking goals...
I don't get that argument.

I understand we have a defensive problem, however it is nothing new this season - it's been here since day 1 and we are still only 4 points off the league.

Considering our hardest games are behind us and our run in is significantly easier than the games we've had before, it makes our defensive frailties less of a problem. If we had our hardest games to go coming off the back of conceding goals like we had, I'd be more worried. But we don't.

Finally it's about winning that counts, even if we ship goals, as long as we score more (which we are certainly capable of) we win.

We have a great chance if winning the league but if you expect our defence to shape up overnight at the risk of changing our style, that's got us here in the first place, you barking up the wrong tree.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:16 am

We are in the title race but still have 5-6 games to prove we are seriously fighting for the title and not just pretenders.
killerp

Postby babu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 am

Damnit, we also have a chance of not getting into the champions league. That should be our priority.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:21 am

Of course we have a chance. But the cliches still count. One game at a time, three points, no easy games. I'd think that will be BR's main theme of talks. Keep focused on each game and each 3 points.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm

maguskwt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:34 am wrote:We need to improve our defense... otherwise we won't stand a chance... all the hard and good work done by the front 4 goes to waste if the defense is leaking goals...

All of our injured players are coming back, so this problem should ease up as Sakho, Johnson (I still rate him) and Enrique come back
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Arghhhhh, been watching that stupid Chelsea Everton game. Sat through 90 minutes of pure torture and nothing useful from either side until then and Chelsea score with a set piece at 92 minutes.
kartiek

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:45 pm

at least that's Everton out of the race for 4th..just needs spuds to drop a few points now and we'll be guaranteed CL footie next year
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm

We are in touch so definitely in with a shout however I think it will be a little too much this season. It's been a strange kind of season for a lot of teams. Chelsea and City the favourites dropping points where they were expected to win, Arsenal starting to wobble a little now and even spurs somehow only 3 pts behind us even though the general feeling is they have been Sh*t. just got a feeling when it comes down to the last 5/6 games, Maureen's experience may just be the deciding factor and tilt it chelsea's way
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 pm

id rather we focussed on distancing ourselves from whats behind and hopefully with 5 or so games to go we have CL in the bag and can then turn our attention to making someone sweat for the title.
we are doing well to even be where we are this season and while i feel we can mix it with the best, we are still a way to go to match them over a season.
anything can happen though and if we keep on winning and accumulating points then who knows but to be in with a serious chance of returning to the CL shows how far we have come this season and as i said with a few games to go we can go all out.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:07 am

I would take 4th now but there is no stand out team and our play is as good as anyone's and better
than most.

We are brilliant to watch, fast football with imagination.

If we can replicate our best standard and ride our luck when its not on then why not, its been so long
its almost unthinkable and the mainstream media will always write us off.

On the rails, cutting through the pack, our form over the last year makes us the dark horse and in with
a chance.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:59 am

Beating Swansea today now becomes massive.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Next