PHILIPPE COUTINHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:08 pm

Massive credit to the scouts for finding him and the negotiators for getting him. They don't always get it right but this was an amazing coup.

PC will only get better and if the likes of Ozil is worth £42m then he already has a serious figure on his head. His finishing can get better. His vision and technical understanding for such a young lad is incredible. He is another key reason why we need CL qualification or we could lose him. So far nobody has been sniffing around but before long that will change.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:48 pm

devaney » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm wrote:Massive credit to the scouts for finding him and the negotiators for getting him. They don't always get it right but this was an amazing coup.

PC will only get better and if the likes of Ozil is worth £42m then he already has a serious figure on his head. His finishing can get better. His vision and technical understanding for such a young lad is incredible. He is another key reason why we need CL qualification or we could lose him. So far nobody has been sniffing around but before long that will change.

Yeah, we've had some underwhelming transfer windows recently but the one where we signed coutinho and Sturridge certainly wasn't one of them. The club hasn't looked back since those two walked through the door.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Him, Suarez and Sturridge have all been signed in the January window which kind of puts an end to the myth that there's no value in that window. They cost the same as Ozil between them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Suarez; certainly, Sturridge; unquestionably, Sterling; most definitely. But there is one player who has been absolutely crucial to our recent results, and its this little Brazilian kid who cost us buttons.
He is by far one of the best, if not the best creative midfielder in Europe at the minute. His work rate, his commitment, his passion and his skill are outstanding and although I can see why the other three are getting the plaudits, it is Coutinho who is doing the damage to the opposition.
He is remarkable and outstanding and lets keep our fingers crossed that he stays fit for the rest of the season.
:bowdown
Thommo's perm

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Is he in the Brazil team or is Oscar ahead of him?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Oscar isn't the only one ahead of him for Brazil.

Let's not get carried away now… Whenever we've had poor results like the draws against villa and WBA, many people were talking about dropping Coutinho for Allen to bring stability. If he's as good as many are claiming, that would never be in any conversation. He's a good player with a great eye, but his shooting is pretty awful, and he has games where he's completely anonymous. He's young tho, so I'm not worried at all. I think in the next couple seasons he will be one of the better creative midfielders in Europe, but right now he's still finding himself.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

You know what I love about us this season? It's how relentless we are. There's no satisfaction in scoring just one or two as the players keep wanting more. This is something which we haven't really seen in the past years as we would sit back a lot of times, happy with a one goal lead.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:29 pm

ethanr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm wrote:Oscar isn't the only one ahead of him for Brazil.

Let's not get carried away now… Whenever we've had poor results like the draws against villa and WBA, many people were talking about dropping Coutinho for Allen to bring stability. If he's as good as many are claiming, that would never be in any conversation. He's a good player with a great eye, but his shooting is pretty awful, and he has games where he's completely anonymous. He's young tho, so I'm not worried at all. I think in the next couple seasons he will be one of the better creative midfielders in Europe, but right now he's still finding himself.

There hasn't been a player born who's form doesn't fluctuate, and even in his poor games he'll still make at least one decisive pass. If Brazil don't want to pick him more fool them.
People were talking about dropping him because we only had 2 midfielders and thought we needed a third, it wasn't that coutinho was playing particularly poorly it's just that sterling is playing phenomenally well.
Coutinho has taken apart two very good sides this month (Everton and Arsenal), not bad for an anonymous player with awful shooting......
If he'd taken apart Villa and West Brom and was quiet against Everton and Arsenal people would be saying he doesn't do it in the big games.
As I said this club turned around the moment this lad and Daniel Sturridge walked through the door and where ever we finish this season fans should just stop and take a minute to appreciate just what they are watching, this front 4 of ours will be remembered in years to come alongside the likes of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge if for nothing else just sheer entertainment value.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:29 pm wrote:
ethanr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm wrote:Oscar isn't the only one ahead of him for Brazil.

There hasn't been a player born who's form doesn't fluctuate, and even in his poor games he'll still make at least one decisive pass. If Brazil don't want to pick him more fool them.
People were talking about dropping him because we only had 2 midfielders and thought we needed a third, it wasn't that coutinho was playing particularly poorly it's just that sterling is playing phenomenally well.
Coutinho has taken apart two very good sides this month (Everton and Arsenal), not bad for an anonymous player with awful shooting......
If he'd taken apart Villa and West Brom and was quiet against Everton and Arsenal people would be saying he doesn't do it in the big games.
As I said this club turned around the moment this lad and Daniel Sturridge walked through the door and where ever we finish this season fans should just stop and take a minute to appreciate just what they are watching, this front 4 of ours will be remembered in years to come alongside the likes of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge if for nothing else just sheer entertainment value.

I'd be more inclined to side with Ethan on this to be honest. Coutinho is a massive talent and a player I personally believe to be quality. But there is a reason he doesn't get in the Brazil side... Oscar and Neymar are better players. Coutinho is a little unlucky in that respect as he'd get into most other national teams however.

With regards to your point about him taking apart Everton and Arsenal. Its fair enough, however people have a valid point when saying he lacks composure infront of goal and hasn't got a decent strike.

He is an excellent player, but again I think some people are starting to over hype another one of own who hasn't been producing his absolute best in the majority of games.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:20 pm

id say he has a good chance of making the brazillian squad, he might not play but id be surprised if he doesnt make it.  he has stood up in big games and that had to of been noticed by scolari.
if it came down to him or paulinho, id know who id pick
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:37 pm

I heard his great great great grandmas second cousin twice removed was English, sign him up Roy
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Do you think Hodgson would play him though? After all England have Cleverly and Townsend...  :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm

One thing that is evident is Rodgers seems to have worked out how to play all his stars together. We inevitably underestimate the importance of formation and the surrounding team on a players performance. With Gerrard sitting back and Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all around his natural understanding of the game is shining through. The fluidity of our play last weekend was pure 08/09.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm wrote:Do you think Hodgson would play him though? After all England have Cleverly and Townsend...  :D

True who needs a player with a killer pass when you have Cleverly the crab :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

fivecups » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm wrote:

One thing that is evident is Rodgers seems to have worked out how to play all his stars together. We inevitably underestimate the importance of formation and the surrounding team on a players performance. With Gerrard sitting back and Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all around his natural understanding of the game is shining through. The fluidity of our play last weekend was pure 08/09.

???

In terms of attacking this side is miles ahead of anything Benitez ever produced. Just a shame we defend as bad as we did when Roy Evans was in charge.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion