Current squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 pm wrote:
lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:34 pm wrote:lol you will have me going as far back as Rob Jones soon, who we picked off Crewe Alexandra in 91 lol

Now if we could find another Rob Jones from somewhere we'd be much better for it. What a defender on his day.

yes and a great guy aswel.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 pm wrote:
lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:53 pm wrote:lol its not just southend mate, its the links to about 20 lower clubs. i only said southend as they are close to mind as i live near there and for years if one of thire young players looked everyone was worried that southend was going to call liverpool to come and take a look.

How many young players poached from lower league clubs by Premier league teams have gone onto become successful footballers in the top flight? Bale and Walcott are probably the only two I can think of.

a lot of players come from smaller clubs somewhere down the line, even united got scholes from oldham, the 2 nevilles from bury, lee sharpe was from torquay, andy cole was at charlton, sheringham played for millwall and even aldershot etc.
look at a lot of our great players and where they started out
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

I know for a fact that what you are saying is complete nonsense as all of the players you mentioned came from the United youth academy. Scholes's one and only club has been Manchester United. The Neville's were both signed straight from school.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Andy Cole started his career at Arsenal but left for Bristol City , he was never at Charlton
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:23 pm wrote:I know for a fact that what you are saying is complete nonsense as all of the players you mentioned came from the United youth academy. Scholes's one and only club has been Manchester United. The Neville's were both signed straight from school.

you could be right i just seem to remember when those players first got into the united team there was a lot of praise in the media about the way ferguson went around all the other clubs in the country and signed their best prospects. he didnt just get lucky he made the effort to find the top young players in the country and recruited them.
i remember reading about how giggs was signed from city, beckham was from west ham or spurs or someone, sharpe was from torquay, scholes from oldham and the nevilles from bury (i think it said their arl fella was a coach there or something like that)
i seem to remember them saying the only one that came right through uniteds system alone was nicky butt.
it was a long time ago so i could be remembering it wrong or the press at the time were stretching the story trying to make ferguson out to be a genius or something.
anyway the point is loads of players have started out at lower clubs, just look at our late 80`s strikeforce of barnes, beardsley, houghton and aldridge for a start.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 pm wrote:Andy Cole started his career at Arsenal but left for Bristol City , he was never at Charlton

sorry mate i`m getting him mixed up with defoe, defoe started at charlton before moving to west ham.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Ryan Giggs never played for Manchester City's youth academy! He was signed by United from the School of Excellence.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Barnes Beardsley and Houghton all came from club's in the top division !
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 pm wrote:
sorry mate i`m getting him mixed up with defoe, defoe started at charlton before moving to west ham.

It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 pm wrote:Ryan Giggs never played for Manchester City's youth academy! He was signed by United from the School of Excellence.

he did play for them but he was ryan wilson in those days, he even captained england at city!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 pm wrote:
he did play for them but he was ryan wilson in those days, he even captained england at city!

He played for Salford Boys. His first trial came with Manchester United. He was signed up to the School of Excellence by Manchester City's Dennis Schofield. Giggs was offered his first trial by Manchester United in late 1986. He represented England after he had agreed to sign for United on an associate schoolboy course with the club. Ryan Giggs has never played for anyone else's youth academy or club other than that of Manchester United, that's the same with Scholes and Gary Neville.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 9:41 pm wrote:Barnes Beardsley and Houghton all came from club's in the top division !

yeah but they played for those clubs in the lower divisions! watford did the same as swansea under toshack, graham taylor took them from the fourth or third division right through to a second place finish in the league behind us.
aldo and houghton played in the lower divisions with the likes of fulham and newport county, they were regarded as lower division players when oxford signed them and oxford were battling to stay up themselves.
today the equivilent would be QPR signing 2 players from the championship and then us signing them! people would go ballistic these days if we did that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 pm wrote:

He played for Salford Boys. His first trial came with Manchester United. He was signed up to the School of Excellence by Manchester City's Dennis Schofield. Giggs was offered his first trial by Manchester United in late 1986. He represented England after he had agreed to sign for United on an associate schoolboy course with the club. Ryan Giggs has never played for anyone else's youth academy or club other than that of Manchester United, that's the same with Scholes and Gary Neville.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9164673/Manchester-City-were-unlucky-to-lose-Ryan-Giggs-to-Manchester-United.-Danny-Welbeck-too-Thats-careless.html

read what it says under the headline.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 11:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm wrote:read what it says under the headline.

Most clubs had a school of excellence back then, it doesn't mean that the kid played for Manchester City does it? He wasn't a product of their youth academy, he made a name for himself away from the School of Excellence. He was scouted by Manchester United when playing for the Salford Boys club, a sunday league club. He was offered a contract because of the hattrick he scored for the opposition when playing against United's under 15's, Ferguson saw Ryan playing from his office window. He is a product of United, not Manchester City.

If Barnsley put me in their School of Excellence for a year and I'm still playing for Range Town Rovers and Notts County's manager sees me and wants me signed up, so offers me a trial, I pass that trial and head into Notts County's youth academy aged 11, where I ply my trade for 6 years before being handed my full professional debut aged 17. Am I a product of Barnsley or Notts County? Have I played for two clubs or one club? I've played for one club and I have come through the ranks of Notts County, not Barnsley.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm wrote:read what it says under the headline.

Most clubs had a school of excellence back then, it doesn't mean that the kid played for Manchester City does it? He wasn't a product of their youth academy, he made a name for himself away from the School of Excellence. He was scouted by Manchester United when playing for the Salford Boys club, a sunday league club. He was offered a contract because of the hattrick he scored for the opposition when playing against United's under 15's, Ferguson saw Ryan playing from his office window. He is a product of United, not Manchester City.

If Barnsley put me in their School of Excellence for a year and I'm still playing for Range Town Rovers and Notts County's manager sees me and wants me signed up, so offers me a trial, I pass that trial and head into Notts County's youth academy aged 11, where I ply my trade for 6 years before being handed my full professional debut aged 17. Am I a product of Barnsley or Notts County? Have I played for two clubs or one club? I've played for one club and I have come through the ranks of Notts County, not Barnsley.

thats just a load of waffle, everyone knows (or at least i thought everyone knew) that giggs was at city before united, hell i`ve even heard martin tyler mention it on air!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion