Current squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby D___C » Mon May 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Basil » Mon May 07, 2012 7:39 am wrote:
D___C » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 am wrote:Xabi Alonso 10.7m............ Jordan Henderson 18m
Luis Suarez 22m.............. Andy Carroll 35m
Luis Garcia 5m................ Stewart Downing 20m
Pepe Reina 6m................ Chris Kirkland 9m

(class) Foreigners 43m........(average) British 82m

Darren "Pele" Bent cost Villa 25m transfer fee and 80k per week wages

Taxi for Loopy Benny. :laugh:

Carroll, Downing and henderson were also full internationals whereas Reina, Alonso and Garcia were relative unknowns.

Genuine facepalm. Genuine.

I often forget that forums allow all sorts.. regardless of intelligence.

There is a million and one things wrong with that comment that i don't know if i should bother responding. Where would you begin?
D___C

Postby stmichael » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

At the end of the day our squad couldn't cope with our best forward being banned for 8 games (suarez), arguably our most important player missing half the season (lucas) and our talisman/captain also missing half the season (gerrard). Throwing 5,6 new players into a new team at one go is hardly going to help anyway. The other sides we were arguably competing with at the start of the season for 4th all had better foundations in that they weren't making wholesale changes to their teams.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2012 6:12 pm

stmichael » Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 pm wrote:At the end of the day our squad couldn't cope with our best forward being banned for 8 games (suarez), arguably our most important player missing half the season (lucas) and our talisman/captain also missing half the season (gerrard). Throwing 5,6 new players into a new team at one go is hardly going to help anyway. The other sides we were arguably competing with at the start of the season for 4th all had better foundations in that they weren't making wholesale changes to their teams.

that sums up the season in a nutshell mate, and suarez was banned for another game on top of the 8 after he made that gesture to the fulham fans, he was banned for 9 which is nearly a quarter of the season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ste1977 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 pm

The current squad is strong and just needs a few additions, some luck and better finishing
ste1977
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm

ste1977 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm wrote:The current squad is strong and just needs a few additions, some luck and better finishing

i agree, we`ve got the foundations of a good team there
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon May 07, 2012 8:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm wrote:It's more than just the transfer fee you fucktard

Toure is on 280 grand a week , the same with Tevez and Augero is on around 250 grand a week - that is the price to pay for the top foreign stars and their "loyalty".

Now the players below that standard are very hit and miss and we have had our fair share of failures.

Money was spent on young talent plus one established prem player , all of them on low wages in comparison. These players weren't bought just for one season they were bought to help us build a future. It has been a rocky start but don't expect them to stop buying potential talent as opposed to the Toures and Augero's that we can't afford

if those wages are true it`s f**king scandalous, last year a load of elderly blind and disabled people had to march (with their guide dogs, wheelchairs etc) in protest because the government were slashing their benefits and council support and at the same time in the same country people are earning a quarter of a million quid for kicking a bag of wind around?
i dont mind players earning a good living but thats taking the p1$$

Off topic don't you think. Besides it isn't the government paying these wages - so what is your point?

Hedge fund managers make billions per year...
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm wrote:
ste1977 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm wrote:The current squad is strong and just needs a few additions, some luck and better finishing

i agree, we`ve got the foundations of a good team there

Players like Maxi,Kuyt and Aurelio need replacing

Spearing needs replacing

We need a lb ,a right mid , a DM , an attacking CM plus a striker.

Buy quality in those areas and we will improve ( don't care what nationality they are )

Downing will get another season to prove his worth but he needs to step up sharpish
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon May 07, 2012 8:34 pm

D___C » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm wrote:
D___C » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 am wrote:Xabi Alonso 10.7m............ Jordan Henderson 18m

Carroll, Downing and henderson were also full internationals whereas Reina, Alonso and Garcia were relative unknowns.

There is a million and one things wrong with that comment that i don't know if i should bother responding. Where would you begin?

I don't agree with a local only transfer policy but your comparison is so subjective it's funny. You have selectively made comparisons to meet your argument.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm wrote:It's more than just the transfer fee you fucktard

Toure is on 280 grand a week , the same with Tevez and Augero is on around 250 grand a week - that is the price to pay for the top foreign stars and their "loyalty".

Now the players below that standard are very hit and miss and we have had our fair share of failures.

Money was spent on young talent plus one established prem player , all of them on low wages in comparison. These players weren't bought just for one season they were bought to help us build a future. It has been a rocky start but don't expect them to stop buying potential talent as opposed to the Toures and Augero's that we can't afford

if those wages are true it`s f**king scandalous, last year a load of elderly blind and disabled people had to march (with their guide dogs, wheelchairs etc) in protest because the government were slashing their benefits and council support and at the same time in the same country people are earning a quarter of a million quid for kicking a bag of wind around?
i dont mind players earning a good living but thats taking the p1$$

Off topic don't you think. Besides it isn't the government paying these wages - so what is your point?

Hedge fund managers make billions per year...

my point is i dont think society is fair when you have such a disparity in wealth and quality of life between 2 sets of people who live in the same country.
if there is enough money floating around this country to pay upper class gamblers billions and footballers millions surely there`s enough money to give people who are disabled through no fault of their own enough money to have some sort of quality of life and dignity.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Basil » Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 pm

D___C » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm wrote:

Don't f*cking assume you know anything about my intelligence, I was just making the point that English internationals obviously cost more than relatively unknown foreign players.

Rafa used his local knowledge to bring in some quality Spanish players at bargain prices but he also signed some players that didn't really work out. Also, you keep mentioning the £35M paid for Carroll but do you think we would have paid that if we had'nt got such a rediculous fee for Torres and needed to sign a replacement quick.

We would all like us to sign a few Lionel Messi's for peanuts but it doesn't work out like that in the real world. We're still trying to clean up the mess left by H&G and you can't do that in one season, along the way we'll make some good signings and some bad signings, hopefully we can pick up some class players over the summer whatever their nationality.

Just get behind the team and stop f*cking critcising people all the time.
Basil

Postby Boxscarf » Tue May 08, 2012 1:48 am

I'd say we were more than just two or three quality additions away from having a much better team. Our bench is also weak and that needs strengthening as well. I definitely feel we have a weaker team this season then we did last season.
Boxscarf

Postby D___C » Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 am

"used local knowledge"... sweet jesus it continues.

There was me thinking Real Madrid were tailing Xabi Alonso the entire year prior to us pulling off a major coup.. or that Pepe Reina was one of, of not the, most sought after goalkeepers in Spain after a superb season with Villarreal. Nah.. not according to the dumb myopic little englander. So well done rafa for scouring the spanish backwaters to pluck out these "unknowns" from obscurity.

In contrast, that "massive name" jordan henderson was damn well everywhere prior to joining us wasn't he? None of us had to google him to see what he looked like (honest).
D___C

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue May 08, 2012 4:45 am

my point is i dont think society is fair when you have such a disparity in wealth and quality of life between 2 sets of people who live in the same country.
if there is enough money floating around this country to pay upper class gamblers billions and footballers millions surely there`s enough money to give people who are disabled through no fault of their own enough money to have some sort of quality of life and dignity             

I understand and even share your sentiment. But footballer's who work in the private sector and the disabled who are helped by the public sector are two different things altogether.

But, while you think it is scandalous to earn so much money (and I agree the wages are astronomical - but I wouldn't say they had no right to earn that much), pay more in tax in one month, than you or I do in a year. So while you lambast them for their high earnings, they actually contribute more to government revenue than me or you. Suffice to say, the taxes they pay 'probably' in an indirect way help contribute to the disabled and their incomes from the state. It's actually what the politicians do with that money that determines how it is spread out - not the footballers, who work within a free market.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Basil » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 am

D___C » Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 am wrote:"used local knowledge"... sweet jesus it continues.

There was me thinking Real Madrid were tailing Xabi Alonso the entire year prior to us pulling off a major coup.. or that Pepe Reina was one of, of not the, most sought after goalkeepers in Spain after a superb season with Villarreal. Nah.. not according to the dumb myopic little englander. So well done rafa for scouring the spanish backwaters to pluck out these "unknowns" from obscurity.

In contrast, that "massive name" jordan henderson was damn well everywhere prior to joining us wasn't he? None of us had to google him to see what he looked like (honest).

Calm down for god's sake, they were up and coming players in Spain but they came here because of Rafa's reputation. We got them for a good price because they weren't full internationals and they wanted to work for Rafa.

It's not as easy as you suggest to sign cheap foreign players who will go on to be a success, we've had plenty of foreign failures as you well know.

Liverpool were always criticised during the Houllier and Benitez years for not having enough British players so we tried to change it and sign a core of British talent. We had to pay premium prices and perhaps it hasn't worked as well as we'd hoped but I'm sure we've realised that and we will now try to sign the best players we can, whatever their nationality.

Believe me, I'm no little Englander, I'm not even English and I would like a successful Liverpool team whatever the nationality of the players but I will support this club through good times and bad times and I don't think it's helpful to criticise everything and everybody at this club if things don't go as well as we hope.
Basil

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am

Basil » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 am wrote:
Liverpool were always criticised during the Houllier and Benitez years for not having enough British players so we tried to change it and sign a core of British talent. We had to pay premium prices and perhaps it hasn't worked as well as we'd hoped but I'm sure we've realised that and we will now try to sign the best players we can, whatever their nationality.

Believe me, I'm no little Englander, I'm not even English and I would like a successful Liverpool team whatever the nationality of the players but I will support this club through good times and bad times and I don't think it's helpful to criticise everything and everybody at this club if things don't go as well as we hope.

Our recent recruitment of predominately English players may have more to do with the home grown ruling than any supposed criticism received during the Rafa or Houllier era.

If I remember correctly we're allowed to register a 25 man squad of players over the age of 21, 8 of whom must be "home grown".

The 8 home grown players can be any nationality but before the age of 21 they must have spent three years at a club affiliated to the English or Welsh FA.

This may explain in part why we bought players like Carrol, Henderson and Downing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion