Summer transfers

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am

would like the johnsons - both Glen and Adam. And sturridge from man city.  3 englishmen. One england right back and 2 very young and promising youngsters who prob wouldn't mind too much about spending some time on the bench - but can also come on and do things.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Redman in wales wrote:would like the johnsons - both Glen and Adam. And sturridge from man city.  3 englishmen. One england right back and 2 very young and promising youngsters who prob wouldn't mind too much about spending some time on the bench - but can also come on and do things.

IMO Glen Johnson is a poor defender whose contribution to the attack mask continuing failures both in positioning, tackling and recovery rate. But he can be coached better...

I'll go for Beck @ Hoffenheim
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Latest from Guillem Balague

The transfer rumour section of the site has been inundated with the same question over the past week “Will Liverpool be signing David Silva”…

I wrote last week that the stories claiming Rafa Benitez had been allocated a fixed transfer budget were false and I also explained, in the same article, that as a consequence, it is far too soon to start talking about players who Liverpool will definitely be signing or even bidding for once the transfer window opens. Nothing has really changed on that front despite a sudden flurry of stories linking several players with a summer move to Anfield. To start talking about the players who will be signing in the summer is getting in to the realms of speculation and I`m afraid that all the questions asking for a definitive answer simply cannot be answered honestly at the moment.

With regards to David Silva, I can say that yes, it is true that Rafa Benitez is keen on the Valencia player and he was very upset that the La Liga side leaked his interest to the press. It is clear that, taking in to account their current financial plight, Valencia must act in their own interest to ensure they get the maximum possible return on selling any players and that means generating a bidding war by going public. Juventus are also very keen on him.

Of course, the rumours about him signing for Liverpool have died down ever since Rafa announced at last Fridays press conference that he was not interested at the €20 million price being touted. However this all ties in with our earlier discussion: that the Liverpool boss is not yet certain how much he will have to spend and therefore how to allocate his funds.

This does not mean that Rafa is now not interested in David Silva, as it has been interpreted elsewhere; and I wonder if it is not part of some strategy. Players were offered to Valencia in exchange – surely Voronin and possibly even Benayoun – and the Spanish side would certainly be happy to do that kind of a deal if their valuation of Silva is met.

With regards to funding, this is where Liverpool and Benitez are handicapped in relation to some of their competitors at the top level. €20 million is not an extortionate amount for a player of David Silva`s calibre – but if, as usual, it turns out to be a substantial part of Rafa`s budget, it leaves little in reserve for other re-enforcements, and Benitez must get it absolutely right: there is no margin for error. I believe that if it were possible to sign David Silva for between €15 – 18 million, then Benitez would do so.

Would Silva make a good signing for Liverpool?

Well, there is no doubting that Silva certainly possesses the technical ability – and on that score he would be an upgrade on Benayoun – or Luis Garcia – to play on the left and complement Gerrard and Torres, particularly at Anfield where visiting teams close down more often than not. However, despite the fact that Eduardo Macia, who signed him for Valencia, is his biggest fan, there are doubts about Silva`s personality (a similar situation exists with Albiol, who is also fancied by Rafa, but there are concerns over his mental strength).

David Silva has been a little unfocused lately and playing below par. Of course, circumstances at Valencia are difficult at the moment, but these are the times that reveal a players real character. Silva comes across as someone who may struggle to adapt to a new country, culture and language: more Reyes than Reina in that sense. However, if surrounded by the right people, and with the strong Spanish influence at Anfield, who knows. I do know that because of that, he would prefer a move to Liverpool over a move to Juventus.

Of course, everyone has been asking: will he or won`t he sign? That has not been answered, nor can it be. It is still too early to start making predictions and between now and the summer, anything can happen. There is little point in guessing and much depends on appealing alternatives in Spain – like Barcelona. At this point, we are really only talking about a potential transfer, however, Benitez is still interested and who knows, depending on the summer budget, the deal may still be on the table even at €20 million.

With regard to all other questions about David Villa and Samuel Eto`o: there has been no approach for David Villa from Liverpool; while on the subject of the Barcelona forward, I suspect we will be revisiting that subject fairly soon.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Very interesting.......
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 pm

qOUTE from that Article

This does not mean that Rafa is now not interested in David Silva, as it has been interpreted elsewhere; and I wonder if it is not part of some strategy. Players were offered to Valencia in exchange – surely Voronin and possibly even Benayoun – and the Spanish side would certainly be happy to do that kind of a deal if their valuation of Silva is met.

:;): Not Yossi though
Last edited by NANNY RED on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm

If it meant Silva coming here would you not make that sacrifice Nanny? I know Yossi has been great for us this season but if given the choice I would take David Silva in a flash.

Maybe they could take Babel.
Last edited by tubby on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 pm

David Silva has been a little unfocused lately and playing below par. Of course, circumstances at Valencia are difficult at the moment, but these are the times that reveal a players real character. Silva comes across as someone who may struggle to adapt to a new country, culture and language: more Reyes than Reina in that sense. However, if surrounded by the right people, and with the strong Spanish influence at Anfield, who knows. I do know that because of that, he would prefer a move to Liverpool over a move to Juventus.

Of course, everyone has been asking: will he or won`t he sign? That has not been answered, nor can it be. It is still too early to start making predictions and between now and the summer, anything can happen. There is little point in guessing and much depends on appealing alternatives in Spain – like Barcelona. At this point, we are really only talking about a potential transfer, however, Benitez is still interested and who knows, depending on the summer budget, the deal may still be on the table even at €20 million.

Well when a team is not clicking one of the main victims will be the strikers and the wingers who are not activated in positions in which they make more harm. So I think Balague knows perfectly that a drop of form in a player isn't independent of it's context and that means nothing when it comes to sign him up.

He's right though that his personality or character will be more Reyes than Riera. Silva is a player who's born in the Canary Islands. The way of life, the character, and even the football in that part of Spain is more South American than Continental. In fact, that's the place the founders of countries like Venezuela were from. Reyes is a Southern Spaniard and I described the character in a chat with Conn'O'var in other thread.

But it's what he says, who knows.

The Eto'o bit sounds promising. Bring Eto'o and you bring top quality. Controversial yes, but you bring a hungry striker. Eto'o is under a permanent and constant Hungry Cheetah attitude.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:31 am

It seems Zaki didn't return after international duty. This is the 4th time this has happened now so SB is fining him. Not sure if he is the sort of character we would want around here. Rafa has tried to bring in former bad boys before and it didn't work so I guess this pretty much rules him out.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 am

bavlondon wrote:It seems Zaki didn't return after international duty. This is the 4th time this has happened now so SB is fining him. Not sure if he is the sort of character we would want around here. Rafa has tried to bring in former bad boys before and it didn't work so I guess this pretty much rules him out.

Added to the fact that he has been garbage second half of the season as well.
He hasnt scored that many goals and alot were pens.

The goal against us at Anfield was class (the volley) but he hasnt done much else and due to his attitude i wouldnt even consider him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Who´s Zaki ??

Ref Villa, I dont think Yossi would baulk at the chance to go to Valencia, they´re a great club and playing in La Liga would be good experience.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Reg wrote:Who´s Zaki ??

Ref Villa, I dont think Yossi would baulk at the chance to go to Valencia, they´re a great club and playing in La Liga would be good experience.

He already knows la Liga from his spell at Racing of Santander. Back then, I didn't expect him to be a player for the English league, that is, he had the same quality (good), but his kind of game didn't seem initially suited for England.

Benayoun has proven to me that he knows to perform well even when he's not used much, and to be honest I'd like to keep him.

Valencia would be probably a good team for him if he was going to play more regularly and perhaps in the new austere Valencia (they're broke) he might have a regular place.

What happened with Pennant BTW, I think I heard to a fellow red I trust that we might use him as exchange coin? did we offload him?
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:43 pm

he has already played in La Liga :D

Sabre beat me to it. Must have been a matter of seconds

Pennant is on loan to Pompey adn I believe he will be a free agent when the season is over.
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Cheers Joe, when you say free agent that equals to his contract being finnished? or we give him the freedom chart?

If he still has contract left, I'm all for deceiving Valencia using him in the negotiations. :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't know what a freedom chart is, but in sport in America a free agent is someone who is free to sign with any team. A bossman as it is known over here I think.
JoeTerp

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah I don't see how we can use Pennant at all now. He can sign for anyone in the summer as he will be out of contract won't he?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill