Summer transfers

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:No more average Premiership players please.

Got to agree there, if SWP was going to 'make it' he would have done it. He´s been a two bit disappointment for ages now and I think he´s lost the sharpness, he´s just taking the money.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

I thought he was ok in early season but has lost form somewhat after xmas.

Does anyone think with Kuyt signing a new contract Rafa will not make any moves for a right winger? I hope that is not the case but if so we should maybe try for a RB who can also play RM kind of like what we have with Doss.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:13 am

No. I dont think Kuyt signing changes anything.

We got rid of Pennant without bringing in a replacement and we dont have an out and out right winger ready for the first team at the club. Right wing and right back are more important this summer than strikers (although we do need a striker too).

Id love us to spend the bulk of our budget on the right wing. Blow it all! Then that'll free up Kuyt as the back-up striker along with Babel (or his replacement if rafa moves him on). Add a cut-price Garry Barry plus Glen Johnson and we're done! sorted!
ken_job

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:19 am

bavlondon wrote:I thought he was ok in early season but has lost form somewhat after xmas.

Does anyone think with Kuyt signing a new contract Rafa will not make any moves for a right winger? I hope that is not the case but if so we should maybe try for a RB who can also play RM kind of like what we have with Doss.

Lahm, Alexandr Anyukov, Darijo Srna, Rafinha, Cicinho, Fritz, Gonzalo Castro
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:59 am

Benitez rules out Kjaer move  - Palermo starlet not on Reds' summer radar : 6th April 2009

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has played down speculation that he is lining up Palermo youngster Simon Kjaer as a possible replacement for Daniel Agger.

Denmark international Agger is reluctant to sign a new contract at Anfield because he is no longer guaranteed first-team football with the Premier League title chasers.

Real Madrid and AC Milan have been linked with the centre-back and it has been suggested that Benitez is scouting potential replacements.

Rumour has implied that Kjaer is on the Reds' radar, but Benitez has rejected rumours of a possible £11million bid, which would trigger an exit clause in the 20-year-old's Palermo contract.

"I can only say that Simon Kjaer is not on our agenda at the moment," the former Valencia boss told Stadionews24.

"I can say that if Daniel Agger were to leave, we are not planning to bring him as a replacement."

Meanwhile, Kjaer's agent, Mikkel Bekk, insists he has not received contact from Juventus regarding his client.

He said: "Juventus? I don't think so. I have read this news. I think that they are only rumours, I haven't received any calls from Juventus."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 am

JoeTerp wrote:
bavlondon wrote:I thought he was ok in early season but has lost form somewhat after xmas.

Lahm, Alexandr Anyukov, Darijo Srna, Rafinha, Cicinho, Fritz, Gonzalo Castro

Rafinha yes please. What's Lahm like these? Getting on a bit isnt he?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 am

Lahms 25 mate
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Almighty Red » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 am

Unfortunately, he also can't defend for :censored:. I'd take Srna, though...
Almighty Red

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Almighty Red wrote:Unfortunately, he also can't defend for :censored:. I'd take Srna, though...

If we played Lahm as a RWB with three centre halfs he would be perfect. A purchase like Srna or Lahm would open up the doors IMO for someone like a Villa or Eto'o:

Reina
              Carra         Skrtel     Agger
   Lahm      Mascherano   Alonso     Dossena
                             Gerrard
                  Torres              Eto'o
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Jaysus Joe how did Eto'o sneak into your line up there !!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

That formation is pure attack and we could be caught short at the back with a long ball etc.. or a razor fast forward running in behind.
Last edited by Reg on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Reg wrote:Jaysus Joe how did Eto'o sneak into your line up there !!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

That formation is pure attack and we could be could short at teh back with a long ball etc.. or a razor fast forward running in behind.

:laugh: I thought it was going to be bashed for being too defensive  :D
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm

No way, but we´d go back to the Roy Evans days of 4-4 scorelines!
Last edited by Reg on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:47 pm

I would rather Rafa buys players to compliment the current system rather than buy players that would force a different formation even if it does open up a door for Etoo. Rafa has always stuck with what he knows best so I doubt he would do something that rash anyway. Even at Valencia he employed 2 holding midfielders. Not sure what he done before that at Ossasuna.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:20 pm

07/04/2009 

Liverpool, Eto`o and big money transfer rumours

I`ve written a couple of articles recently on this website related Liverpool`s transfer budget and have been trying to manage expectations while responding to questions regarding a couple of very high profile transfer rumours. However, it seems that, from reading a few of your comments – and please keep them coming - there is still some confusion.

In my last post I suggested that we would no doubt be returning to the subject of Samuel Eto`o, and it seems that a few people interpreted that as a suggestion that there was something going on behind the scenes with regard to the Barcelona striker and a move to Anfield. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and while players like him will continue to be linked – and therefore we will have to keep discussing them – the fact is that Liverpool cannot afford to sign Samuel Eto`o.

Win Real Madrid v FC Barcelona Tickets

He is having an excellent season at Barcelona and, despite the fact that his current contract finishes in 2010, he will not be easy to get hold of and his transfer alone could total around €15 million. Add to that figure his €7.5 million a year wages and we are talking about a deal that is well in excess of Liverpool`s anticipated budget and current salary structure.

It is true that there was once a time when Eto`o featured strongly in Rafa`s plans, but that was back when he was the preferred choice to Fernando Torres – and we all now how that scenario has finished up.

The focus, at the moment, is upon tying down players already at the club: upon getting them to commit to new contracts and, in addition to Gerrard, there are still a few more to be concluded. This will form the foundation for the future and not big budget high profile transfers of the kind that seem to have the message boards buzzing and is reflected in the kind of names readers are asking me about. Until the ownership issue is resolved, there is simply not that level of funding available.

Of course, Rafa knows and understands that and it was agreed before he signed his new deal – he knows what he has signed up to in terms of the level of funding that may or may not be available. One of our readers enquired as to whether or not funding was an issue when Rafa mentioned last week that he had considered quitting the club – but as the Liverpool boss admitted when he said "It is true that at times I may have thought about my future," his concern was over the direction of the club rather than money. I did receive a degree of criticism when I previously reported this fact, but hopefully, as his admission and subsequent reporting of it across the British media has revealed, it was true that Benitez had at one time been considering his future at Anfield.

If deals are going to be done, they will need to be conducted on the quiet and a repeat of the David Silva situation must be avoided: where Valencia leaked an approach from Liverpool in order to spark a bidding war. For Liverpool to sign players of that calibre, the deal will need to be done quickly and discreetly in order to avoid an escalation of costs generated by interest from rival clubs. Which is why, unless the financial situation changes, the kind of high profile, big name signings where Liverpool are seen to be publicly competing – through the media - with other top level  clubs simply cannot take place. If anyone goes public on a deal – as Valencia did – it will collapse.

Liverpool must try and secure players by persuading them that it is the right move, by selling to them the vision of the club, while avoiding becoming embroiled in bidding wars with the likes of Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea or even Man City.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:28 am

Read this yesterday Bav, don't know what will happen in the summer
but with 7 games to go the transfer saga is in full swing.
Last edited by mistyred on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill