Robbie keane

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby FANTÔMAS » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:30 pm

What is football coming to?

When season tickets at Anfield cost £700-750, a kit top costs £40, and players in the likes of Robbie Keane garner a £18 million price tag.

Not to deny that Keane is class, but compared to Torres who was £6 or 7 million more, their is no way you can justify paying that much for a 28 year old player. Especially when you admit that the gulfing class are worlds apart.

If Liverpool fail to win a major accolade this season, Keane will be the "El Hadji Diouf" of Benítez' age. At least, this transfer and the fee it requires will be the justification for Hicks, Gillet and Parry to get rid of the manager. I personally don't think that this transfer is a good move, even if Keane can provide something, we should be going for much better and younger players especially when Villa was only worth a few million more. At least, we should replace Riise with a proven left midfielder who has quality pace.
FANTÔMAS

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 pm

FANTÔMAS wrote:If Liverpool fail to win a major accolade this season, Keane will be the "El Hadji Diouf" of Benítez' age.

Whilst I agree that the fee for Keane is a touch exorbitant, can I be the first to say that, in my opinion, you are chatting out of your derriere in this excerpt.
LFC2007

Postby destro » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:55 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
FANTÔMAS wrote:If Liverpool fail to win a major accolade this season, Keane will be the "El Hadji Diouf" of Benítez' age.

Whilst I agree that the fee for Keane is a touch exorbitant, can I be the first to say that, in my opinion, you are chatting out of your derriere in this excerpt.

At least, this transfer and the fee it requires will be the justification for Hicks, Gillet and Parry to get rid of the manager.

Added with the above pearl of wisdom from the same post, I second that  :D
destro

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 pm

Where is the money from Keane coing from? Is this another Torres/Mascherano job?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm

bavlondon wrote:Where is the money from Keane coing from? Is this another Torres/Mascherano job?

We're not as poor as some people, are making us out to be.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby metalhead » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:12 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Where is the money from Keane coing from? Is this another Torres/Mascherano job?

We're not as poor as some people, are making us out to be.

Thats true.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:47 pm

FANTÔMAS wrote:At least, we should replace Riise with a proven left midfielder who has quality pace.

riise was/is a left back and has been replaced by dossena  - who i believe has quality pace (whatever that is)...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 pm

I hope this Keane deal goes through, I've wanted us to sign him for years, and we should have done long before now.

Still though, at 28 I still think we'll get a good few years out of him.  He plays football with his brain and doesn't overly rely on pace or athleticism.  We should get a good 4 seasons out of him at least.

He has only come to such prominence in the last year or so because finally he's matching his all round play with end product - ie goals.  Hopefully we will play his best football for us over the next few seasons though.

At 18 million are we paying a bit over the odds?  Probably, but at 18 million Robbie Keane is much better value than Gareth Barry for the same price.  Firstly he's a better player imo and secondly we need another quality striker far more than another central midfielder.  If it's a straight choice between Keane over Barry, then it's Keane every time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:35 pm

john craig wrote:I hope this Keane deal goes through, I've wanted us to sign him for years, and we should have done long before now.

Still though, at 28 I still think we'll get a good few years out of him.  He plays football with his brain and doesn't overly rely on pace or athleticism.  We should get a good 4 seasons out of him at least.

He has only come to such prominence in the last year or so because finally he's matching his all round play with end product - ie goals.  Hopefully we will play his best football for us over the next few seasons though.

At 18 million are we paying a bit over the odds?  Probably, but at 18 million Robbie Keane is much better value than Gareth Barry for the same price.  Firstly he's a better player imo and secondly we need another quality striker far more than another central midfielder.  If it's a straight choice between Keane over Barry, then it's Keane every time.

As you probably know I am by no means a fan of Keane's but I agree 100% with your post regarding the better value and more needed player.

I certainly second your hopes too
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 am

FANTÔMAS wrote:What is football coming to?

When season tickets at Anfield cost £700-750, a kit top costs £40, and players in the likes of Robbie Keane garner a £18 million price tag.

Not to deny that Keane is class, but compared to Torres who was £6 or 7 million more, their is no way you can justify paying that much for a 28 year old player. Especially when you admit that the gulfing class are worlds apart.

If Liverpool fail to win a major accolade this season, Keane will be the "El Hadji Diouf" of Benítez' age. At least, this transfer and the fee it requires will be the justification for Hicks, Gillet and Parry to get rid of the manager. I personally don't think that this transfer is a good move, even if Keane can provide something, we should be going for much better and younger players especially when Villa was only worth a few million more. At least, we should replace Riise with a proven left midfielder who has quality pace.

Okay, yes 18 million was a bit much probably 5-6 million too much. And the reported wages too at 80,000 a week are frightening.

But at least we know what we're getting, not some no-mark African who had a good game in a WC, then started spitting at people better than he could play the fecking game.

Yes the fee is too much, which makes my wonder why Benitez would scupper deals for Alves and other transfers when teams have upped the value only by a couple of million or whatever at the last minute if atall ?

I thought Villas first priority was the Gunners then us ?  :D  Oh well feck him, I'm sure he'll be Kosha down at the lane  :;):

Keane would make a good impact I'm sure of it, now you're on a roll Rafa, sell your wifes watch and bring in Silva.
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am

Having his medical at 9.  :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:48 am

Ciggy wrote:Having his medical at 9.  :)

Thanks, but do you know if he's going to be presented today?
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

I think he will be unveiled later today in the afternoon or tomorrow , cheers for the update ciggy
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:

I should think so we fly out to Spain tommorrow.

BTW he has been given the No7 shirt.
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:34 am

Ciggy wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:

I should think so we fly out to Spain tommorrow.

BTW he has been given the No7 shirt.

from whom have you heard all this  ciggy ? u certain ??

:)
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill