Lennon plus money for keane?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby alanricouk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:32 am

Linky

By Sam Wallace and Ian Herbert
Wednesday, 28 January 2009

In what would be one of the most remarkable transfers in recent history, Harry Redknapp would be prepared to let one of his two young English players leave in return for bringing Keane back to Spurs

Rafael Benitez is weighing up an offer from Tottenham Hotspur of Aaron Lennon or Jermaine Jenas plus cash in exchange for his disaffected striker Robbie Keane. In what would be one of the most remarkable transfers in recent history, Harry Redknapp would be prepared to let one of his two young English players leave in return for bringing Keane back to Spurs.

There are still many variables at play, the most important being whether Keane, 28, wants to move back to the club that he left for a deal worth around £20.3m in the summer. The deal would mean that Liverpool would not have to pay the remaining balance, estimated at £11m, due for Keane in the original transfer. The two clubs first raised the possibility on Monday night.

Keane is in the Liverpool squad for tonight's Premier League game against Wigan Athletic, although Benitez was evasive yesterday when asked whether he believed the Irishman had a future at Anfield. Keane is known to want to stay and fight for his place at the club but increasingly it would appear that Benitez is prepared to use him as a bargaining chip to bolster his squad as the title race warms up.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You'd be a fool not to. Lennon is the sort of player we need to open up tight defences on the right.
alanricouk

Postby DanAn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 am

The only issue I have is we will be left very thin for strikers. I'd take it if we could somehow find an up and coming young striker as well. Preferably one that can play target man.
DanAn

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:05 am

alanricouk wrote:Linky

By Sam Wallace and Ian Herbert
Wednesday, 28 January 2009

In what would be one of the most remarkable transfers in recent history, Harry Redknapp would be prepared to let one of his two young English players leave in return for bringing Keane back to Spurs

Rafael Benitez is weighing up an offer from Tottenham Hotspur of Aaron Lennon or Jermaine Jenas plus cash in exchange for his disaffected striker Robbie Keane. In what would be one of the most remarkable transfers in recent history, Harry Redknapp would be prepared to let one of his two young English players leave in return for bringing Keane back to Spurs.

There are still many variables at play, the most important being whether Keane, 28, wants to move back to the club that he left for a deal worth around £20.3m in the summer. The deal would mean that Liverpool would not have to pay the remaining balance, estimated at £11m, due for Keane in the original transfer. The two clubs first raised the possibility on Monday night.

Keane is in the Liverpool squad for tonight's Premier League game against Wigan Athletic, although Benitez was evasive yesterday when asked whether he believed the Irishman had a future at Anfield. Keane is known to want to stay and fight for his place at the club but increasingly it would appear that Benitez is prepared to use him as a bargaining chip to bolster his squad as the title race warms up.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You'd be a fool not to. Lennon is the sort of player we need to open up tight defences on the right.

I dont think those rumours are true otherwise to be honest the deal would be done already
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 am

Don't think its true...and wouldn't be happy if it turns out to be...

I don't think Lennon is that "big"  an improvement over pennant.... His final delivery is woeful ...i don't even think he is an improvement over babel too...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:57 am

I have my doubts about these rumours. Surely if we were selling Keane without replacing him we wouldn't have let Nemeth go out on loan? I doubt Rafa would want to admit buying Keane was a huge mistake just at the moment, so I think we will probably hang on to him till the Summer at least.

If we could get anything like our money back I would jump at the chance, he was never what we really needed and I think we could get better for £20million.
account deleted by request

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 am

i can see Judge w@nking at the thought of Lennon  :laugh: that flirtacious gay chutney ferret :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 am

Would take Lennon and a lot of money for Keane to make anything near what we paid for him. Lennon doesn't score enough and isn't consistent enough to be worth any more than someone like Downing who is arguably overpriced at around £12m+.

Source : FPL

Lennon : 2 goals, 2 assists (23 appearances, 1458 mins)
07/08 : 3 goals, 8 assists (1974 mins)
06/07 : 2 goals, 6 assists (2129 mins)

Also I believe he has been somewhat an injury worry as the mins played in previous seasons might indicate. His goal last night was his second, he's played 90 mins in the Premiership 11 times.

We need strikers, I see Lindfield has gone out on loan and with Voronin still out on loan (I believe), we're struggling for strikers on the bench. You'd think you'd have two or maybe even three with seven subs, we often have one.
Last edited by Owzat on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 am

If he comes he will have to turn into Lionel Messi overnight to dislodge Derek on the right.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 am

Ciggy wrote:If he comes he will have to turn into Lionel Messi overnight to dislodge Derek on the right.

:laugh:  Messi better than Kuyt....... never!  :D
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 am

Lennon looked a great prospect 3-4 seasons ago but can't say he's kicked on since then. If he did join us we might see Kuyt returned to a strikers role, and lets face it, he can't be any worse than Keane.

Can he ?   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:46 am

I dont think its true either.I read in the Mirror yesterday(hardly the most reliable) that we had only paid £10m so far of Keanes fee,they were talking about a £5m deal from Spurs with the other £5m written off!Sounds realistic if he was going to go.
But rafa says he's staying now,and unless we bring another striker in it would be madness to let him go
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 am

I had a sneaky feeling that we hadn't paid the full 20 Million for him, so hes only a waste of 9 Million, that makes me feel much better.

I wouldn't want Jenas and Lennon is a smaller Pennant ???
destro

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 am

Might get some kind of swap deal with Darren Bent if we're looking at spudz. Shame Keane isn't Welsh or played for Blackburn or Chelsea or is Brazilian or anything that might make Hughes obsessed with him.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:55 am

woof woof ! wrote:Lennon looked a great prospect 3-4 seasons ago but can't say he's kicked on since then. If he did join us we might see Kuyt returned to a strikers role, and lets face it, he can't be any worse than Keane.

Can he ?   :D

why cant he ?!

keane has missed a few sitters and alll but he still managed to chip in with a few... he contributes in most of the games and if he wasnt subbed at 60 mins whenever hes been played we arguably could have seen much more from him.. add to that the fact that hes missed many games some of which have been wasy wins for us (newcastle jumps to mind) and u can see that if it wasnt for the manager we would have seen much more from him...

that said, i believe that the right wing slot is by far our biggest problem and worry at the moment and if fixing that (lennon is not a solution but he damn well is an improvement on Kuyt) means that Keane gets shipped out then i have no problems with that... with Keane out of the side we have absolutely no reason to ever play 4-4-2 again until we go out and buy a qulity forward to partner Torres... have no problem with that but if selling Keane means that we play Kuyt upfront (and lets face it Rafa will certainly go out of his ways to find Dirky boy a spot in the side) then i wont be all in for that...

Lennon and Riera.. if the deal happens which i doubt very much since its obvious that Kuyt would get in the side ahead of Lennon due to Rafa's preferences, would have to step it up a notch or two in terms of goal and assist contribution...

again... whole thing wont happen and keane is going to stay with us to rafa and all of our frustration..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm

It would be a great signing if it happens.

To have a bit of enterprise and trickery and pace and directness and ball control (everything that Rafa's blue eye doesn't posses) over on that side of the field would be something we haven't seen and it would give us a whole new dimension and threat.

Sadly if it did happen I could only see Dirk get moved into a new role because he seems to be totally untouchable.

:angry:
roberto green

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill