jermaine defoe in liverpool - radio city say we're in talks

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ciggy » Tue May 16, 2006 2:49 pm

If Defoe does sign then Cisse must stay and Morientes shown the door.
What a combo Defenders would sh.it themselves plus two classy wingers  :cool:  :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue May 16, 2006 3:01 pm

Ciggy wrote:If Defoe does sign then Cisse must stay and Morientes shown the door.
What a combo Defenders would sh.it themselves plus two classy wingers  :cool:  :buttrock

Defenders are already sh*ting themselves! we have gerrard and fowler  :D

As for Defoe, I would agree with Ace about defoe joining with Crouch and i think the same Ace said that they will form a good striking partnership
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 16, 2006 3:08 pm

I think Defoe would be a great asset to us hes fast, knows where the goal is and would work great with Crouch(hopefully). My only concern is he's a bit small and loses the ball too much. How useful he would be against the more physical teams such as Bolton,Blackburn,Everton,Sheffield United etc remains to be seen. I really dont want Bent as all I can see there is another Dean Saunders:)
account deleted by request

Postby Redman in wales » Tue May 16, 2006 3:16 pm

ok. for the same money... who would we prefer?

bent or defoe.

age and form would suggest bent, but bent would be more of a risk, as he is more of an unknown....

it looks like our first choice was bent... we valued him at far less than the £12m charlton want for him, so we've turned to defoe. Defoe was rumoured to be coming here for £10m (spurs need the money to fund Berbatov)....

if we agree BOTH are overpriced (comes with the territory with british strikers) .... if they were the same price - who would you have?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Redman in wales wrote:ok. for the same money... who would we prefer?

bent or defoe.

age and form would suggest bent, but bent would be more of a risk, as he is more of an unknown....

it looks like our first choice was bent... we valued him at far less than the £12m charlton want for him, so we've turned to defoe. Defoe was rumoured to be coming here for £10m (spurs need the money to fund Berbatov)....

if we agree BOTH are overpriced (comes with the territory with british strikers) .... if they were the same price - who would you have?

Defoe (when he starts) is a consistant finisher and has proven talent and ability in this league, time and time again. I have a funny feeling that Bent is going to be anoter Juan Pablo Angel in that he's had an amazing season, but I just can't see him doing it again. I don't know why, but he has that sort of air around him. Defoe for me everytime.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Tue May 16, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 16, 2006 3:51 pm

Defoe definately .... Bent looked out of his depth when he played for England. But maybe we could offload some of our "surplus to requirements " off on Charlton i.e. Le tallec, Diou etc. Can't see Spurs wanting any except Cisse. Bent is not as good as Cisse.....Defoe is better.... problem solved!

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue May 16, 2006 4:59 pm

I think we will keep Cisse and rotate Defoe, Fowler, Crouch and him next season. There are a number of exciting combination in that there group!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Don't fancy either Bent or Defoe to be honest.  Bent could well be another Marcus Stewart or James Beattie - one great season but will struggle to reproduce it.  For 3 million you'd maybe gamble on him, but Charlton will want 4 times that which I'd never consider paying for him.  Defoe has been in the premiership longer and would represent less of a gamble.  Good finisher and quick, but I'd still not pay over 7-8 million for him.

But the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that neither player is a good enough all-round footballer.  Neither links play well or will contribute much to the team when they don't score.  People will say that maybe that's just what we need.  Bollox.  The best of strikers can score the goals and contribute to the team.  Maybe Benitez and his staff could work with one of these guys and develop other aspects of their play, but either way they'd still be a gamble.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue May 16, 2006 5:07 pm

I choose to trust Rafa's judgement. He knows what he has and can work with to improve individual players and, ultimately, the team!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Well it looks as though we will sign 2 strikers in the summer, but I hope Defoe isn’t one of them.

I have heard that Spurs have put a silly price on him, 10-15 Mil. He hasn’t all of a sudden become cr@p, he was always a bit overrated in my opinion, he has had a similar season to last year to be honest, his game has even improved a lot but his goal scoring threat is easier to play against because he is so readable and predictable, he isn’t much better than Cisse and not really good enough to play at the top level.

If he does come he will need an awful lot of work, and I would be quiet depressed if he was bought for the first team.

I’m sticking to my guns and will say that Rafa isn’t interested, not good enough for LFC, hope I’m right.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Liverpool have just signed a better striker than either Defoe or Bent......

Robbie has just signed his new contract :D

Postby Mikz » Tue May 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Id prefer Defoe over any of them , Class finisher and real natural pace , everything else can be worked on.
I havent seen enough of Bent to lay comment but I ve heard good stuff .
Not keen on David Bellamy either :no trouble.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 16, 2006 6:14 pm

Mikz wrote:Id prefer Defoe over any of them , Class finisher and real natural pace , everything else can be worked on.

David Bellamy is about 75 isnt he  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Tue May 16, 2006 6:25 pm

if we signed David Bellamy he would constantly be offside checking the pitch for wildlife specimens

:wwww
RedWolf35

Postby Ciggy » Tue May 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Mikz wrote:Id prefer Defoe over any of them , Class finisher and real natural pace , everything else can be worked on.

David Bellamy is about 75 isnt he  :D

:laugh:  :D  :laugh:  :D    Quality LMFAO @ Mikz  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill