jermaine defoe in liverpool - radio city say we're in talks

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby The_Rock » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:37 am

i think this is just a case of rafa learning "mind games" from fergie... (ie...make dafoe to request a transfer from spurs..so that we can get him for cheap)..   :p

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=362681&cc=4716

Spurs 'desperate' to off-load Defoe - Benitez

Rafael Benitez claims Tottenham are 'desperate' to sell Jermain Defoe.

The Liverpool boss, speaking on the eve of the 203rd Merseyside derby at Anfield, made his stunning revelation just 24 hours after Spurs boss Martin Jol denied any interest in signing Reds striker Djibril Cisse.

Cisse's agent reported this week there was a failed transfer-window deadline-day move from Spurs to sign the Frenchman - adding negotiations may resume in the summer, with the possibility of a swap deal with Defoe.

Benitez has shed a new light on the situation, though, saying: 'They [Spurs] are desperate to sell Jermain Defoe, and Cisse is in the middle.

'But he is our player - and at the moment I am happy with my strikers. They [Spurs] talk about Cisse, they are desperate to sell.'

Benitez's four strikers - Robbie Fowler, Fernando Morientes, Cisse and Peter Crouch - were under intense scrutiny before the Reds' avalanche of 15 goals in the past week.

Benitez expects a much tougher challenge against Everton tomorrow than Liverpool have had either in recent matches or when they last met the Toffees at Goodison Park in December.

'This will be a more difficult derby than the one we had at their ground in December. They had problems then and are much better now,' said Benitez.

'I was surprised by their form at the beginning of the season, but now it is more normal. It shows what a good manager David Moyes is to have got the team out of that situation.

'What has happened shows the character of the manager. They were at the bottom of the table, and people were talking of relegation. But to see how they are playing now and where they are, it says so much about him and the character of his players.'

Home advantage will nonetheless be a plus for Liverpool this time.

'They will be confident, but then so are we when we play at Anfield. That can make the difference,' Benitez predicted.

'This is a difficult game against a good team. But we are now scoring goals - and I expect a good result for us.

'Robbie Fowler is available again after being cup-tied in midweek - he is a possibility for us. We have several players who are experienced in this derby game, so it will be good to see them playing in this one.

'I would like to see the local boys giving something to the rest - a contagious passion for the match - to help them through the atmosphere.'

Benitez is out to build on Liverpool's successful recent run against their rivals.

'I was disappointed to lose my first derby at Everton last season, and we were desperate for the return at our ground - which we won. Now we have beaten them again since then, and I want to see another victory this time,' he said.

'It is a fantastic atmosphere around a derby - the fans always talk to you and say you must win.

'It is what happens with two teams in the same city; you see your rivals every day from breakfast to dinner, so we know how important it is to win this one.'

Liverpool have a major doubt over full-back Djimi Traore with a thigh injury, but Benitez revealed he has no problem playing Mohamed Sissoko for the second time in a week after his dramatic recovery from eye problems.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:57 am

Parry has stated this morning that he has no interest in signing defoe. spurs said they have no interest ni signing cisse.

so they'll probably sign the 2 in the summer :;):
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:59 pm

according to the daily mail this morning the race is on for defoes signiture with us and cheatski both going for him
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I hope Cheatski outbid us BUT as much as I despise Jose I don't think he's that stupid . Defoe is right where he belongs ,in a team headed for the championship , or as we used to call it THE 2nd DIVISION :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 am

Defoe is class, despite not having the best of seasons.
He would definately be adifferent option than what we have at the moment and i think would score alot of goals.
His value has probably gone down due to his poor-ish season.
But i would rather take Bellamy if we had the option, i think he offers a bit more with his extra agression and determination.
There is no way i could see Jose Mourinho with an unlimted bank balance going for Defoe.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 pm

it's on all the radio stations (including radio city) that jermaine defoe will sign for us within the next seven days.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 pm

stmichael wrote:it's on all the radio stations (including radio city) that jermaine defoe will sign for us within the next seven days.

any thoughts on him stmichael?

Im still not convinced he is the right striker we need, but if we buy him he will recieve my backing!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 pm

stmichael wrote:it's on all the radio stations (including radio city) that jermaine defoe will sign for us within the next seven days.

fingers crossed.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 pm

metalhead wrote:

any thoughts on him stmichael?

Im still not convinced he is the right striker we need, but if we buy him he will recieve my backing!

excellent finisher who would flourish from playing week in week out in a really good side. very selfish but then strikers need to be.

he won't get a look in at spurs now because berbatov's going there.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue May 16, 2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue May 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Yeh i agree with the selfish part, he is a very individual player not a team player, thats what im scared of because rafa is building players for team work not playing as individuals.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 16, 2006 1:18 pm

infact certain sources are claiming he's already signed.

it would seem strange for a deal to be made whilst defoe was away with england.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 16, 2006 1:36 pm

He'd be a perfect partner for Crouch. The short, fast and determined one playing off the lanky, technical and composed one. Deadly combination if you ask me.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 16, 2006 1:40 pm

I think a lot depends on the fee. Around 7-8 million and it's worth taking the gamble on a player who has stagnated the last 18 months. At much more than that price, though he represents better value in my view than Darren Bent at the reported 12 mill' he would be a real risk. He offers virtually nothing other than a goal threat and as we've discovered in the past with this type of player, if the threat becomes passive during a bad run you cary a virtual passenger.
Upto 8 million and I'm all for it, anymore than that and I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Bellamy would be a better bet in my opinion but there you go.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:06 pm

I believe upto 10 million is a reasonable price for a player who seems to have fallen down the pecking order at spurs in today's market. His mentality maybe slightly questionable - thinking back to his west ham days when they were relegated - but i'd still have him over Bellamy anyday. On how many occasions have we heard about Bellamy being involved in trouble off of the pitch in brawls at nightclubs or with team mates? Too many times for any player to be considered a Liverpool player.
Defoe has bags of ability in and around the box and certainly knows where the goal is. My one concern would be that with him having had a poor-ish season is he gonna go the way of morientes??
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 16, 2006 2:38 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:He'd be a perfect partner for Crouch. The short, fast and determined one playing off the lanky, technical and composed one. Deadly combination if you ask me.

That's the point which is mainly swaying me towards favouring the signing now instead of being 50/50 which i was when the speculation originally arose. Defoe is too easily brushed off the ball at times and you can really only play him in a 4-4-2 formation with a target man.

I think he's a class finisher though. I recall seeing him a few years back in a pre-season friendly and some of the things he did were so much like Robbie Fowler. He had Fowler's ability to strike a ball without a backlift and find the corner of the net.

However my reservation is that he doesn't seem to have Fowler's ability to drop deep and link up play.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill