Jermaine pennant - In the bag

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 5:38 pm

My Apologies if this story has already  been posted but I could find the thread. Just saw this on Newsnow. So if we fail for other targets like Joquin, Simao or SWP then Pennant is out man. Nice piece of work again Rafa and Rick.

Liverpool have reached an agreement in principal with Birmingham City for their winger Jermaine Pennant.

Although details of the fee remain undisclosed, Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is confident that nobody else will come in with a higher offer.

The player's agent Sky Andrew has already agreed personal terms with Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry but the deal will not proceed unless Rafa is unsuccessful with other options that he has prioritised.

An email received overnight from a source of mine involved in the negotiations, said: "Rafa has Jermaine in the bag but he must decide whether to push ahead with the deal or buy some more time.

"The transfer fee that has been brokered is reasonable but the wages are slightly higher than a player of his age would usually command.

"Rafa has other options and Sky (agent) is aware of this, which is probably why the wages are more lucrative as Pennant is prepared to wait.

"It's an excellent back-up plan that has been thought out by Rafa and put in place by Rick (Parry)."
Last edited by tubby on Sun May 21, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun May 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Great bit of business that, pennant is a fantastic prospect, there are other wingers i would prefer but at least if all else fails we have pennant to turn to
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Yeah good deal to set up Pennat as a backup. This shows one way or another Rafa has ensured that we wont get left out tosry like with the Simao deal. Pennat is still young, hes English and has lots of talent. I just hope he takes notes on behaving ect...from the likes of Carra and Stevie. If he can be a true professional then he could force his way into the England squad aswell.
Last edited by tubby on Sun May 21, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 21, 2006 5:51 pm

I wouldn't believe anything until it appears on LFC.tv, tbh.

Nice idea in principal, but I doubt it would have been leaked if it were true.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 5:53 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I wouldn't believe anything until it appears on LFC.tv, tbh.

Yes you could be right Lando. But the details do look quite specific and its not the sort of thing the club would really announce.

"Hey guys were gonna try sign Joquin but if we fail Jermaine will be coming!"

Even if it were true id expect them to keep it under wraps any other deals that Rafa has "as a priority" either make or break. It looks more prfessional that way aswell but I dont think this ones a wind up Lando.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 21, 2006 5:55 pm

Clever bit of business by Rafa if true. Gives Liverpool the best of both worlds and gives Rafa the "possibilities" he likes so much.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Im just thinking out of Rafas RW targets, 3 are going to the WC. And in theory all 3 of them (Joquin, Alvez, Simao) could see their prices increase. And we dont want to see a repeat of the Diouf mess.
Apart from that the price for SWP if anything may have come down.

Rafa must be making the RW his prioity so I would expect him to to and close a deal befoe the WC unless Chesea are ready to consider making a big loss on SWP. This means that we could know oficially in 3 weeks or however long is left to the WC who will be on our RW.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 21, 2006 6:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:I wouldn't believe anything until it appears on LFC.tv, tbh.

Yes you could be right Lando. But the details do look quite specific and its not the sort of thing the club would really announce.

"Hey guys were gonna try sign Joquin but if we fail Jermaine will be coming!"

Even if it were true id expect them to keep it under wraps any other deals that Rafa has "as a priority" either make or break. It looks more prfessional that way aswell but I dont think this ones a wind up Lando.

I mean that if it were true, we wouldn't know about it, and I can't hinestly see Pennant accepting a "better that nothing" tag.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 6:06 pm

True but cosidering that he :censored: up his stay at Birmingham out on the :censored: on more than one occasion the odds of him signing for a decent team are small. Relegation battlers at the mos if yu ask me. But im sure he would love to sign for us and if a "better than nothing" deal is what is required then so be it. Pennants lucky that a team of our stature is interested in him so im no surprised he took the deal.
Last edited by tubby on Sun May 21, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun May 21, 2006 6:12 pm

I've just had it on good authority (the same source that gave news of Fowler's transfer to me the day before it happened) that we are soon to announce the signings of both Pennant AND Giuly, and both deals combined total just £7.5m. :)

The Pennant deal is on standby until the Giuly deal is sewn up. We've agreed a fee with Barca (approx £3.5m) for Giuly, and LFC are now trying to get him signed up so that we can close the Pennant deal.

If the Giuly deal goes dead, so does the Pennant deal. The other options we're looking at for right mid (Simao and SWP) are £10m+, which means we won't be able to afford Pennant as well.
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 6:14 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I've just had it on good authority (the same source that gave news of Fowler's transfer to me the day before it happened) that we are soon to announce the signings of both Pennant AND Giuly, and both deals combined total just £7.5m. :)

The Pennant deal is on standby until the Giuly deal is sewn up. We've agreed a fee with Barca (approx £3.5m) for Giuly, and LFC are now trying to get him signed up so that we can close the Pennant deal.

If the Giuly deal goes dead, so does the Pennant deal. The other options we're looking at for right mid (Simao and SWP) are £10m+, which means we won't be able to afford Pennant as well.

I thought the deal was that if one fails we have Pennat as backup.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sun May 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Why would Pennant would agree to be the back up plan?? THat means, if Rafa got somebody else, Pennant won't be coming. It doesn't make sense and I wouldn;t agree to such a deal if I'm Pennant. Won't you..... I think if Rafa can sign him now, he should proceed as he is a more sure thing to perform in EPL. I'm sure he will sort out his problem because he is going to be surrounded by the likes of Carra, Sami and Gerrard. Sign him up if it's true.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun May 21, 2006 6:17 pm

akumaface wrote:Why would Pennant would agree to be the back up plan?? THat means, if Rafa got somebody else, Pennant won't be coming. It doesn't make sense and I wouldn;t agree to such a deal if I'm Pennant. Won't you..... I think if Rafa can sign him now, he should proceed as he is a more sure thing to perform in EPL. I'm sure he will sort out his problem because he is going to be surrounded by the likes of Carra, Sami and Gerrard. Sign him up if it's true.

Well it looks like there is some activity involving Pennat and perhaps Giuly aswell and accoring to Ivor it should be announced soon. With Barca also pursuing Alves as we are, it would make sense for Giuly to leave Spain.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun May 21, 2006 6:20 pm

bavlondon wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:I've just had it on good authority (the same source that gave news of Fowler's transfer to me the day before it happened) that we are soon to announce the signings of both Pennant AND Giuly, and both deals combined total just £7.5m. :)

I thought the deal was that if one fails we have Pennat as backup.

Not from what I've heard. The case seems to be that Pennant's being kept waiting until the Giuly negotiations are finalised - Pennant doesn't appear to be the priority.

Giuly's knocking 30, so I imagine the thinking would be to bring Pennant in as understudy, rotate the two, and then push Pennant through to first choice towards the end of Giuly's contract.
ivor_the_injun

Postby The Red Baron » Sun May 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Pennant accepting a "better that nothing" tag.

Why not? Iwould assume he is used to tags seeing he had one on his leg for long enough.The lad is a waster, he had the oppurtunities many young footballers dream about and blew it.
I he did ever come to Liverpool,and God forbid he did it, would be one name my lad would never get on his shirt.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill