Jermaine pennant - In the bag

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:28 am

BENITEZ LANDS £6M PENNANT
By David Maddock

JERMAINE PENNANT will join Liverpool after Birmingham last night accepted a £6million bid for the England Under-21 winger.

Anfield boss Rafael Benitez conceded he had been priced out of the race to sign Daniel Alves, his No.1 target to play wide on the right, after Sevilla refused to budge on their inflated £12m asking price for the Brazilian.

Benitez admitted Liverpool simply could not afford to buy Alves and instead switched his sights to 23-year-old former Arsenal midfielder Pennant.

Liverpool had an initial bid of £3m turned down by City manager Steve Bruce, but last night Benitez went back with double that amount and Birmingham - relegated from the Premiership last season - had little option but to reluctantly accept.

Pennant is expected to complete contract talks with Liverpool today and, if he passes a medical, the deal should go through in time for him to join his new team-mates when they fly out this week for a pre-season training camp in Austria.

It is a dramatic about-turn for Benitez, who felt certain of landing Alves, and even travelled to Spain last week in an attempt to hurry through a deal.

"You can say the price is the price, but you also have to consider the market, and we cannot pay a fee over the market price," said Benitez.

"Some clubs may pay more than the player is worth, but we can't do that at Liverpool. We can't pay over the market price.

"I am not the kind of manager who will pay £20m if the value is only £10million." Benitez eventually lost patience with Sevilla, who refused to budge on the £12m they wanted for Alves.

But Benitez had little room for manoeuvre as Alves would use up all his transfer kitty, leaving him nothing to bring in the forward he also wants.

He has been chasing Holland striker Dirk Kuyt all summer, but with a price tag close to a prohibitive £12m the switch to Pennant instead of Alves still leaves him with a chance of landing the Feyenoord player.

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has dismissed suggestions he is a £20m target for Real Madrid.

Benitez was adamant the Spain midfielder would not be leaving Anfield and Alonso said: "I've heard the rumours but that's all they are.

"I'm focused on my job here at Liverpool and as far as I am concerned there is no truth in the story at all."

====>LINK TO ARTICLE<====
Last edited by hawkmoon269 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:58 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Anfield rapper wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Anfield rapper wrote:"Birmingham City winger Jermaine Pennant has insisted he is happy at the club despite continuing interest from Liverpool."

Thats all i really need to hear. He obviously isn't fussed about playing for us. I admire his loyalty to BC but it sounds like he is just happy to collect his pay and not have to fight for a team place. Not the sort of player i would like to see play for us.

Do you actually believe he means a statement like that ?

Of course he would love to sign for Liverpool but if he comes out and tells the world and then Rafa doesnt follow up the interest where would that leave him ? F'cked !

He wouldn't be f'cked at all. Any player who would want to improve and has any ambition would be well within their rights to want to move away from BC to a bigger club. I'm sure the BC fans would forgive him for saying he wanted to move on, its what happens when you get relegated. Your best players want to play in the prem.

We have been interested in him for a while now though, and time and time again he has said he's happy at BC. I believe he means it. He could quite easily have come out and said he wants to be playing Prem footie but he hasn't. In fact when they got relegated he stated that he was happy to be showing Steve Bruce the same loyalty he showed him.

Fair enough i admire him in a way, but on the other hand a footballers career is short and there are times when you have to make the best decission for you. Maybe he thinks BC is best for him, who are we to argue. I would however worry about his lack of ambition if he is happy to stay at BC when we are after him.

So Pennant comes out and states ' I want to sign for Liverpool, i need to be in the top flight to further my career '

Then Rafa signs Alves as the rumours of Pennant were just something to force Seville's arm, so Pennant stays at Birmingham.
You think the Brum fans would think.....fair enough Jermaine we dont blame you, Liverpool are a great side and we are languishing in league one. B@LLOCKS.

They would think......we signed you when you were going nowhere, give you a chance to rebuild your career when nobody else was interested and now your deserting us when we need you most.
Like any fans would, and tbh if they didnt look at it that way, then they wouldnt love there club like we love ours.
Pennant has said what hundreds of footballers have said in the past.....just before they leave, the lads just covering his own back.

Even if he just said he wanted to play in the Prem it would be something. Any fan in their right mind would realise that when you get relegated your best players will be hard to hang on to. As for him being f*cked, why? what would BC do? Surely everyone at BC isn't naive enough to think they can hang on to they're top players while getting relegated.

Dirk Kuyt has come out and said he wants to play in the Prem and he's at a bigger club than BC. Ok, we may not sign him and he may stay at Feyenoord but is he f*cked? No. He's done everything he can to get a move to the Prem. On the other hand everytime we have showed an interest in pennant he hasn't showed any sign of wanting to play for us. Call me old fashioned but i want us to sign players who come out and say "I want to be at Liverpool".
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby fowler4ever » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:38 am

SSN news

Birmingham have confirmed that they have rejected an offer from Liverpool for Jermaine Pennant.

The Reds are keen to land the former Arsenal winger, but Blues are standing firm over their valuation - believed to be over £5 million.

Birmingham chief Steve Bruce confirmed Liverpool had only bid £3.5 million for Pennant.

"We had an offer from Liverpool which we rejected and, until they meet our valuation of Jermaine Pennant, they will get the same answer," said Bruce.

"There's only been one bid, of around £3.5million. We paid £3 million for Jermaine plus we owe Arsenal 25% of any sell-on fee.

"We don't want to sell him for £3.5million, that's for sure.

"Now it's a question of how far Liverpool are prepared to go in meeting our valuation. If they don't then they will move on, I suppose."

so how much is he worth - personaly I would pay the 5 mill and then spend the rest of our money on a top striker
fowler4ever

Postby RichardLFC1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm

We made an offer at 3.5 that was rejected and was asked for another million. So 4.5-5.0 isnt that bad

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:33 pm

from bbc

Liverpool to seal Pennant signing 

Birmingham must give Arsenal a quarter of any fee received for Pennant
Liverpool are close to sealing a £6.2m swoop for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant, according to a report.
Birmingham revealed earlier on Tuesday that they turned down a £3.5m offer for the 23-year-old from Liverpool.

Now the Press Association has been told by a source close to Blues that an improved bid has been accepted with Pennant now set for talks at Anfield.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said on Monday there "could be another two players in by the weekend".

One of those now seems certain to be Pennant, and it is claimed that Holland international Dirk Kuyt will be the other - if the Reds can negotiate Feyenoord down from their £12m asking price.

The Press Association's report says Liverpool have already failed with a player-plus-cash offer which would have seen Jan Kromkamp and Jerzy Dudek going to Feyenoord.

Pennant's arrival would solve Benitez's search for a right-sided midfielder, with his first choice, Sevilla's Daniel Alves, proving too pricy at £12m.

The Birmingham player is much cheaper, even after the Championship club negotiated the fee upwards because they knew they had to give Pennant's old club Arsenal a quarter of any cash receieved for him.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said earlier: "There has only been one bid of around £3.5m but we don't want to sell him for that."

They reportedly wanted £8m, but have settled for £6.2m, even though St Andrews managing director Karren Brady had said the player would not be sold at all.

606 VIEW
It does seem an excessive amount for a largely unproven player

GC
606: Have your say 

Pennant's agent declined to comment on Tuesday evening.

The England Under-21 international, who joined Birmingham from Arsenal for £3m in April 2005, would join Wales striker Craig Bellamy at Anfield as Benitez looks to invest in young British talent.

But in Pennant, the Liverpool coach would be purchasing one of football's most notorious players.

In 2005 the midfielder become the first footballer to play in the Premiership while wearing an electronic tag. He had served 21 days in jail after being found guilty of drink driving while banned and having no insurance.

Originally Pennant had been banned from driving for 16 months in 2004 after being seen travelling in the wrong lane in Paddington, west London.

Also in 2005 it was reported that Birmingham sent the player home from training after he turned up under the influence of alcohol. And in a seperate incident that year, Pennant was alleged to have become involved in an argument with a man outside a restaurant on the Greek island of Zante, which led to the man punching him.

In 2003 Pennant was sent home from an England Under-21 training camp for breaking a curfew.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:46 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:Even if he just said he wanted to play in the Prem it would be something. Any fan in their right mind would realise that when you get relegated your best players will be hard to hang on to. As for him being f*cked, why? what would BC do? Surely everyone at BC isn't naive enough to think they can hang on to they're top players while getting relegated.

Dirk Kuyt has come out and said he wants to play in the Prem and he's at a bigger club than BC. Ok, we may not sign him and he may stay at Feyenoord but is he f*cked? No. He's done everything he can to get a move to the Prem. On the other hand everytime we have showed an interest in pennant he hasn't showed any sign of wanting to play for us. Call me old fashioned but i want us to sign players who come out and say "I want to be at Liverpool".

Lets see what statement that lad makes if/when he signs.
Then we will know whether he wants to move to Anfield.
Dirk Kuyt was not in prison when the Feyenoord manager signed him, and has scored a phenomanal amount of goals in a short space of time so really owes his club nothing, they will make a massive profit from him.
Pennant was in big trouble when Bruce took a chance with him and has resurrected things with a great season despite relegation, all i am saying is that if he comes out and states he wants to sign and the deal collapses then the majority of Birmingham fans wouldnt forgive him.
I would also love him to come out and publicly declare that he is desperate to sign for Liverpool but dont see it as anything bad that he hasnt.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Anfield rapper wrote:Even if he just said he wanted to play in the Prem it would be something. Any fan in their right mind would realise that when you get relegated your best players will be hard to hang on to. As for him being f*cked, why? what would BC do? Surely everyone at BC isn't naive enough to think they can hang on to they're top players while getting relegated.

There seems to be no worries on that front anymore Ace...good shout! :D

Pennant Talks to liverpoolfc.tv
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Yeah he does seem like a dedicated red, the signings over the past 6 months have been big LFC fans (Bellemy, Fowler and Pennant).
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:24 pm

just hope jermaine plays out of his skin knowing this could be his springboard for an england place:)
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:23 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Tbh mate it was pretty obvious, who wouldnt want to sign for Liverpool ? And i dont mean that in an arrogant way, not only will the lad get to play alongside the likes of Gerrard Alonso and Carragher, he now gets to play in the stadium with the most passionate fans and the best atmosphere in the country, possibly the world.
Added to that he will probably now get in the England squad (it usually happens) then it was obvious he would want to join.

Below is the question on lfc.tv, his answer was as i expected, Birmingham had given him a platform to kick-start his career, and he respected the fans enough than to come out stating his wishes to leave....i respect the lad for that.

How did you feel when you first got told Rafa wanted to sign you?

It was a great confidence boost for me but to actually be here today and see it happening is even more thrilling. I've heard all the speculation over the last few weeks and it has been frustrating to have to wait so long. I had to remain professional because I still had a job to do at Birmingham but as soon as I found out a fee had been agreed it was the best moment of my life.
I always wanted to come to Liverpool. This is the only club I would have wanted to sign for. There's always a doubt in your mind as to whether or not it will happen because you don't know if the clubs will agree a transfer fee but I just stayed positive and believed it would happen for me. It was only yesterday when I found out the deal was on and that it was going to happen.

I don't think it has sunk in yet and it probably won't until I'm out in Switzerland with the lads training in a Liverpool jersey.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 108-1163930576 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:14 pm

waste of money
108-1163930576

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 am

waste of money

Harsh.

It's too early to make judgements on the boy.

It's not like he's the only LFC player who's not in gear.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:17 am

Have we not already signed him ???

:D
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 83-1165837413 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:38 am

I personally feel that he has been bought in for his crossing ability.

When we got Peter Crouch,everybody new what we were trying to do "cross the ball to the tall guy, nobody will figure that out" !

What should be happening is that Crouch and Pennant should be starting each match together, or not at all.

He is not a bad pick up for the price and he will get better over time.
83-1165837413

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill