jermaine defoe in liverpool - radio city say we're in talks

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:34 pm

There's a rumour in the BBC gossip column today that Tottenham will OK the move because they are also going after Carlton Cole.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:There's a rumour in the BBC gossip column today that Tottenham will OK the move because they are also going after Carlton Cole.

I noticed that myself.  Surely not though - Carlton Cole has had loan spells at Villa and Charlton and quite frankly doesn't even look Premiership class to me.  I really can't understand why Spurs would be interested.  If they are then Jol's even crazier than I thought he was.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm

andy johnsen would be a better choice than defoe. More power and better finishing. I'd rather take the boy kuuyt or van nistlerooy.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 007 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 am

I hope this news isn't true... :(

SPURS PONDER DEFOE/KEWELL SWAP
============================

Tottenham are reportedly considering swapping Jermain Defoe for Liverpool's Harry Kewell.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez is keen to bolster his strikeforce and has long been linked with a move for England World Cup hopeful Defoe.

Defoe, who has been placed on standby for the finals in Germany, has endured a frustrating season at White Hart Lane, playing second fiddle for much of the campaign to Robbie Keane and Mido. And with manager Martin Jol having just spent £10.9million on Bayer Leverkusen striker Dimitar Berbatov, Defoe may now be ready to quit north London.

Should Defoe favour a move to Anfield, the Reds could be prepared to sacrifice Kewell in exchange for the England frontman.

The Australian has just enjoyed his best season yet for Liverpool, but has yet to truly convince Benitez on his ability to perform at the highest level, while a series of nagging fitness issues also are a cause for concern with the former Leeds star limping off in the finals of the Carling Cup, Champions League and FA Cup.

And with left-sided Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez set to arrive in the summer to provide cover and competition for the likes of Bolo Zenden and the versatile John Arne Riise, Benitez could be willing to dispose of Kewell's services.

Kewell's arrival would in turn end Jol's search for a quality left-sided midfielder, with Andy Reid yet to convince and Edgar Davids and Teemu Tainio more comfortable in the centre of the park.

Jol has also been linked with a £3million move for Chelsea striker Carlton Cole, which could plug the gap Defoe leaves behind, while the ambitious Spurs boss is also thought to be keen on West Ham left-back Paul Konchesky.

The links are here...

I would prefer if we keep Kewell for another season because he has really improved a lot under RB.
Last edited by 007 on Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool for LIFE

Postby RedWolf35 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:08 am

I cannot see Rafa letting Harry go to be honest

He had a really good season

Hopefully its just a rumour I for one would be gutted to see Harry leave

and yes I did slate him many times for having no heart!!
RedWolf35

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 am

Newcastle might bid for Defoe now, TBH I prefer dirk Kuyt to Defoe anyway Defoe is just a shorter version of cisse with less pace.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 am

Personally I would go for the Defoe/Kewell swap deal. Rafa obviously has his heart set on Defoe. With Gonzo, Riise, Aurelio + Zenden (although I would like to see him go as well) on the left side I would sacrifice Kewell.

Defoe is a quality player and would add a little bit of class to our front line. He is quick and has an eye for goal.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:55 am

Well isn't that just typical. We finally get Harry playing really well, and now the vultures are sniffing around. Only to expected really. I'd rather pay cash and keep Kewell.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Well isn't that just typical. We finally get Harry playing really well, and now the vultures are sniffing around. Only to expected really. I'd rather pay cash and keep Kewell.

Definitely.

Everyone is saying we can let Kewell go because we're well covered on the left, but the way I see it...

Zenden - He had slowed down a lot by the time we signed him  and with this injury he'll be even slower.  I think he's a decent squad player, but more for cover in the centre of the park, he's not a winger any more.

Riise - Good attacking full back but I just don't think he's skilfull enough to play left midfield on a regular basis - only if we're trying to close out a win or shut-up shop away from home.

Gonzalez - I get the impression half the people championing him on here have probably not even seen him play.  I have and I'll admit he's had a brilliant half season with Sociedad, he looks like he's the type who'll adapt to the premiership, but can we be sure?  What if it takes him ages to settle?

My point is that if we let Kewell go now we could leave ourselves really short for real attacking options down that side at least for the first part of next season.  We can't sell established top performers from this season in the hope that the new boys will adapt straight away, a bad start in the league cost us this season so let's not let it happen again.  It's not worth it and especially not for Defoe who I don't think will be much of an improvement on Cisse.

Give Kewell another season.  If Gonzalez turns out to be class and Kewell has another season of niggling injuries then get rid of him next summer as he'll be coming into the last year of his contract anyway.  If Kewell stays, builds on his performances this season and stays clear of injuries, he's the type of player that can be the difference between winning the league and not.
Last edited by JC_81 on Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:24 am

They can have Bolo if they want him. Squad player yes, but he's gonna be at the bottom rung of our Left side ladder.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 19, 2006 11:05 am

If Kewell is sold it may be a case of getting him off the wage bill. He is one of the top earners at the club, and if he went it would free up alot of money towards another big name player.

He does deserve another season after a big improvement last season, but at the end of the day he didnt deserve another shot last year and got it, so football doesnt often give players what they deserve.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri May 19, 2006 11:15 am

1 good season out 3/4 doesn't cut it with me. If he can be used as a makeweight for Defoe then IMO we should go for it!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 19, 2006 11:52 am

I doubt Rafa wants to sell or swap Harry and I doubt he wants to leave himself, but Sheree was saying again to the papers the other week that she wants to move down south to be by her family, maybe this is how these rumours have surfaced?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 am

Defoe is on holiday at the moment, so I don't know if that means anything.  Not that Rafa is ever in a hurry with his signings, he seems to have that mañana attitude for some reason I can't understand.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 pm

I have said before that talk of Kewell’s re-emergence has been exaggerated, he has definitely got better and has given us something we needed, but he hasn’t been as good as people say, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t a first team player 1 year down the line.

He is on a reported £60,000 a week, is he worth this? Would any other team offer him anywhere near this if they signed him? How old is he? He has already suffered badly through injuries and he will slow down and deteriorate much faster than most players.

The problem is that he has 2 years left on a £60,000 a week contract. I think we will let him see out his contract and he will feature less and less as time goes by, in a way it may be perfect for Rafa, by the time those 2 years are up Mark Gonzalez theoretically should be ready to play week in week out if things go well. I wouldn’t let him go yet unless you can get a good replacement and get someone to buy him.

As for Defoe, I have already said that I don’t think he is all that, if he was bought for a reasonable price, say £6 Mil and as a back up striker I wouldn’t mind too much. But never first team.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill