Bentley or barry? - Who would you want? (@prices in (£) )

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Bentley or barry? - Who would you want? (@prices in (£) )

Barry (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £12m)
6%
Bentley (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £12m)
8%
Barry (Barry @ 12m, Bentley @ £15m-£20m)
2%
Bentley (Barry @ 12m, Bentley @ £15m-£20m)
2%
Barry (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £7m-£10m)
8%
Bentley (Barry @ £7-10m, Bentley @ £12m)
8%
Barry, no matter what price (within reason)
2%
Bentley, no matter what price (within reason)
22%
Neither, they're not good enough or too expensive
14%
Both, they're both good enough
28%

Total votes : 50

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 am

Everyone must have seen us linked with Barry and the extortionate £12m price tag being reported which could simply hold Barry back. Some or most of us have probably seen rumours suggesting Bentley wants a move and linking both us and Chelsea with him.

It set me thinking, if Barry costs £12m then what if Bentley could also be got at £12m? We bought Bellamy off Blackburn for a lot less, although Duff did cost Chelsea around £17m. So which would we rather have, Barry who would likely play a role we have plenty of options in, or Bentley who could help sort our wide options?

Money may be a factor, but if given a choice would you rather have Bentley or Barry? I've set the poll up to give various options including Bentley as more expensive. You don't have to vote if you don't want to, you can always simply discuss it
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 am

Barry's okay but we have loads of midfields so i could see Alonso going if Barry comes in- two weeks ago i might have thought that okay but Alonso looked back to his best the other night.

On the other hand- Bentley i'd take in a shot. He plays in a position we badly need filling- he can take players on, he can pass, he can cross- what more do you want for a winger (apart from a one-way ticekt to Liverpool).
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:30 am

I'd love to have both but I if I had to choose I think signing Barry is a no brainer. He has been consistently excellent for Villa for the last five or six years and yet is still one of the most underrated performers in the Premiership (although his stock has risen considerably since he broke into the England team).

His best position is centre midfield but if Rafa signs him for that position it can only mean the end of Alonso. Alonso has a greater passing range but Barry is an excellent short ball passer, keeps things tighter than Alonso, is great at closing players down and is much better going forward. He is also very versatile and can play left midfield and at left back. If he is signed as a left sided player he would be a great improvement on Riise.

He can cross the ball well, is clever when breaking into the box, can score and is a good penalty taker. By all accounts he's a decent lad as well and is a good mate of Gerrard's from the England set up.

I'd like to keep both Alonso and Barry but I would be weary of signing Barry primarily as a utility player as we may not see the best of him if he is shunted all over the place. I would see him primarily as Alonso's replacement with the ability to fit him in at left midfield if circumstances dictate and also as an emergency left back. He's a terrific fullback but ultimately I think his talents might be wasted there.

Given that UTD paid close on £18m apiece for Hargreaves and Carrick £12m for Barry might not be too bad and I'd have no hesitation in paying that for him because serious injury aside he would slot in and perform for us no problems.

I also fancy Bentley but I'm more cautious about him. We have signed plenty of players in the Bentley category over the years who have failed to live up to expectations. He has impressed me hugely over the past three seasons (even when he was at Norwich as a lad and they went down he was one of their top three players) and he can play right midfield or in the hole. However questions have to be asked whether he has the attitude and mentality to succeed at the highest level: the ability is there but he is unproven at the highest level. Barry on the other hand has done the business year in, year out for Villa and has looked the part when he plays at international level. There was also a time about two years ago when he probably kept Villa in the Premier league on his own. He's a leader and if we want to compete for the Premiership we need as many strong willed players as we can.

Personally I think he will come to us. There may be more money on the table at Chelsea but I think Chelsea may be a chaotic place over the next couple of years for a guy like Barry.

I think that if the move is on the cards the board needs to move quickly as I could see Ferguson making a move for him as UTD's long term interest in Veloso (who is also a left sided central midfielder who can play left back) shows that they are in the market for a Barry type player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:53 am

All those talking about "wasting" £12 million on Barry must remember if we do sign him its almost certainly because Alonso will be sold and so assuming we'll get around 12-15 million for Alonso in net spend terms hes not eating into our transfer budget at all in fact swapping Alonso for Barry may actually give Rafa an extra £5 million to spend on other players.

If you look at the side at the moment, we aren't that far away. I personally think we'll sign 1 top player and 3 or 4 that can come in and improve what we already have. Someone like Maxi Rodriguez for example i think would add goals and assists from that forward right position, and even someone like Barry when you compare him with Alonso in the PL hes someone that gets his fair share of goals and assists that we haven't been getting from Alonso.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:54 am

I ain't voting in the poll cos to be perfectly honest it seems a bit over complicated.

Put simply out of the two I'd go for Bentley but at no more than £7-10 million. He has the craft that I think we've been missing this season since lil' Luis left. Questions may remain whether he may be consistent enough for us but that comes with the territory really. Any player that attempts the unconventional is gonna have good games and bad games.

Barry is a very good player as well but unless we are going to be losing Alonso I can't see a need for him. Also the prices that are being quoted are way over the top and I'd rather see the money spent elsewhere.
Even if we did lose Alonso I still wouldn't go over £8 million for Barry in all honesty.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:08 pm

I would take Bentley but not Barry.  Barry isnt that good and is overrated.  Watching him in a England shirt v Croatia where he got made to look silly was enough for me.  He looks good at Aston Villa but no way is he worth the prices being reported.  Would rather have Modric.  Barry may of looked good v poor international sides but v croatia his technical weakness was there to see.
puroresu

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:13 pm

If we sell Kewell we'll raise some funds. Probably Newcastle will buy him.

Plus, we also will sell Carson, so that raises more money.

It should be enough to buy one of those guys.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Here's my view on Barry (without taking £ into consideration because we all know english players are sold/bought at an overinflated price)

why no for Barry??
If Alonso stays, I see no reason to buy Barry as he won't be getting a place ahead of Alonso in the starting 11.

Why yes for Barry??
If Alonso goes, Barry would be a very good choice because he's more attacking minded then Alonso and a decent passer as well. He gets forward more often than Alonso does and gets few goals every now and then. He can also be a decent choice for left midfield if we play 4-4-2 formation. And if we play 4-2-3-1, he can form a decent partnership with Masch/Gerrard in the middle.
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Festy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:

If we keep asking £10 for Carson, then nobody will every buy him because he's clearly not worth it. Even Aston Villa have started looking for other options.
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 pm

i hope we get more then £10 for him
i think he is worth a little more than that :p
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Once that loan comes through from Lloyds TSB, Hicks will give Rafa loads of money to spend.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Neither are good enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want some inexperienced south american instead!

Nah I would have both (if Alonso leaves) only if the price was reasonable though ie no more than 25mill for the pair.

If Alonso stays we need to get Bentley hes quick, powerful, technical gifted, eye for goal and a pass, excellent crosser of the ball. He needs to make the step up and it should be with us not sh*tski.

Thank you.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:15 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:If we sell Kewell we'll raise some funds. Probably Newcastle will buy him.

It should be enough to buy one of those guys.

Zilch for Kewell, he's out of contract in three months.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby neil » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:43 pm

yeah I reckon barry is too long in the tooth to adjust to champions league footy, 1st person to mention sheringham is a biff.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:57 pm

The key thing about these two guys is that they are extremely consistent. That's the difference between them and some of our signings such as Bellamy, Pennant, Benayoun and Garcia. All excellent players at their best, but you don't see their best all that often.

They'd be outstanding signings for me. I'd see Barry as a left-sided solution more than a signing for the centre, but there'd still be great value in having him as the leftmost central mid if we do go for 4-5-1 long term.

As for how much they'd cost, I think Bentley in particular will cost serious money. Competition for their signatures may well bump up the prices, but at the end of the day we're either going to be heavyweights in the transfer market or we're not. Whoever ends up in charge has to find the money for this calibre of player if we're to move forward.
ivor_the_injun

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill