Bentley or barry? - Who would you want? (@prices in (£) )

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Bentley or barry? - Who would you want? (@prices in (£) )

Barry (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £12m)
6%
Bentley (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £12m)
8%
Barry (Barry @ 12m, Bentley @ £15m-£20m)
2%
Bentley (Barry @ 12m, Bentley @ £15m-£20m)
2%
Barry (Barry @ £12m, Bentley @ £7m-£10m)
8%
Bentley (Barry @ £7-10m, Bentley @ £12m)
8%
Barry, no matter what price (within reason)
2%
Bentley, no matter what price (within reason)
22%
Neither, they're not good enough or too expensive
14%
Both, they're both good enough
28%

Total votes : 50

Postby VamosRafa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 pm

i think both would fit very nicely into our midfield, either

Bentley   Gerrard     Mascherano    Barry

or

Bentley    Barry       Mascherano   Babel
                   Gerrard

However, i would pain me to see Xabi, i think he just edges it over Barry, so i'd probably choose Bentley
VamosRafa

Postby Bretc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Both are good players but Barry is a must buy! If we sign him, I'm sure Rafa will play him at LB cos we're currently hopeless in that position. And it's good that he can double up as a CM as well. As for Bentley,  he's a very direct player and can offer us more options in front of goal. He would be a good replacement for Kuyt and Penannt but I won't pay more that 10mil for him.
Bretc

Postby Number 9 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm

David Bentley for me every time.Its hard to be accurate because like everyone else on here i dont see every game Blackburn play.What i can say from what i have seen he is very consistant and always a threat going forward.His crosses are excellent and he has a great shot from range too.
I watched the Blackburn v Utd game lately and he tortured them throughout the game,they could'nt deal with him.
Also he will be using next season as a stage to secure a place on the right in the England team so the effort will be there.Saying that he seems to give 100% anyway.And compared to Pennant,well id say hes twice the player.

As for Gareth Barry.I dont think we should give up on Alonso just yet,he deserves another season.There is no reason he cant regain his old form next season,he has been showing signs of it lately.He hasnt just lost his class overnight,its still there!I havent seen enough of Barry at left back to comment on how good he is there!

Keep Alonso and sign Bentely please Rafa!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:03 pm

JBG wrote:I'd love to have both but I if I had to choose I think signing Barry is a no brainer. He has been consistently excellent for Villa for the last five or six years and yet is still one of the most underrated performers in the Premiership (although his stock has risen considerably since he broke into the England team).

His best position is centre midfield but if Rafa signs him for that position it can only mean the end of Alonso. Alonso has a greater passing range but Barry is an excellent short ball passer, keeps things tighter than Alonso, is great at closing players down and is much better going forward. He is also very versatile and can play left midfield and at left back. If he is signed as a left sided player he would be a great improvement on Riise.

He can cross the ball well, is clever when breaking into the box, can score and is a good penalty taker. By all accounts he's a decent lad as well and is a good mate of Gerrard's from the England set up.

I'd like to keep both Alonso and Barry but I would be weary of signing Barry primarily as a utility player as we may not see the best of him if he is shunted all over the place. I would see him primarily as Alonso's replacement with the ability to fit him in at left midfield if circumstances dictate and also as an emergency left back. He's a terrific fullback but ultimately I think his talents might be wasted there.

Given that UTD paid close on £18m apiece for Hargreaves and Carrick £12m for Barry might not be too bad and I'd have no hesitation in paying that for him because serious injury aside he would slot in and perform for us no problems.

I also fancy Bentley but I'm more cautious about him. We have signed plenty of players in the Bentley category over the years who have failed to live up to expectations. He has impressed me hugely over the past three seasons (even when he was at Norwich as a lad and they went down he was one of their top three players) and he can play right midfield or in the hole. However questions have to be asked whether he has the attitude and mentality to succeed at the highest level: the ability is there but he is unproven at the highest level. Barry on the other hand has done the business year in, year out for Villa and has looked the part when he plays at international level. There was also a time about two years ago when he probably kept Villa in the Premier league on his own. He's a leader and if we want to compete for the Premiership we need as many strong willed players as we can.

Personally I think he will come to us. There may be more money on the table at Chelsea but I think Chelsea may be a chaotic place over the next couple of years for a guy like Barry.

I think that if the move is on the cards the board needs to move quickly as I could see Ferguson making a move for him as UTD's long term interest in Veloso (who is also a left sided central midfielder who can play left back) shows that they are in the market for a Barry type player.

:nod , no more explanation needed , good post lad
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:09 pm

puroresu wrote:I would take Bentley but not Barry.  Barry isnt that good and is overrated.  Watching him in a England shirt v Croatia where he got made to look silly was enough for me.  He looks good at Aston Villa but no way is he worth the prices being reported.  Would rather have Modric.  Barry may of looked good v poor international sides but v croatia his technical weakness was there to see.

Consistencey? , How many players who perform both for their club and country , not many i tell you . Also on ur point on modric , well i rather go for someone who has been excellent for villa in the coming years and is adapted to this league rather then take risks that we can't clearly afford to. Watching him in and england shirt against Croatia made your mind up? Well every player has a bad game and don't forget barry is keeping frank out of the england side , i think people need to give gareth barry more credit , he's a class player and in the form that alonso is apart from the chelsea game , i'd rather have barry who' been so consistent over the seasons , 10 to 12 million wud be a good price
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
puroresu wrote:I would take Bentley but not Barry.  Barry isnt that good and is overrated.  Watching him in a England shirt v Croatia where he got made to look silly was enough for me.  He looks good at Aston Villa but no way is he worth the prices being reported.  Would rather have Modric.  Barry may of looked good v poor international sides but v croatia his technical weakness was there to see.

Consistencey? , How many players who perform both for their club and country , not many i tell you . Also on ur point on modric , well i rather go for someone who has been excellent for villa in the coming years and is adapted to this league rather then take risks that we can't clearly afford to. Watching him in and england shirt against Croatia made your mind up? Well every player has a bad game and don't forget barry is keeping frank out of the england side , i think people need to give gareth barry more credit , he's a class player and in the form that alonso is apart from the chelsea game , i'd rather have barry who' been so consistent over the seasons , 10 to 12 million wud be a good price

Technically Barry isnt that good and to me his just another english player on the long list who get hyped up but in reality they are not that good.
puroresu

Postby Torres25 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Id go 4 bentley if i could only choose 1.........Lucas will be better then Barry in afew years anyway

but i would like them both..........happy that weve been linked with valencia everytime ive seen him hes looked the part the only thing i was worried about was his age coz i didnt know how old he was

at 22 hes a certain star in the making

sign him rafa YNWA
Torres25

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 am

puroresu wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Technically Barry isnt that good and to me his just another english player on the long list who get hyped up but in reality they are not that good.

Fair enough mate , thats ur opinion and everyone is entitled to their own .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:52 am

Number 9 wrote:David Bentley for me every time.Its hard to be accurate because like everyone else on here i dont see every game Blackburn play.What i can say from what i have seen he is very consistant and always a threat going forward.His crosses are excellent and he has a great shot from range too.
I watched the Blackburn v Utd game lately and he tortured them throughout the game,they could'nt deal with him.
Also he will be using next season as a stage to secure a place on the right in the England team so the effort will be there.Saying that he seems to give 100% anyway.And compared to Pennant,well id say hes twice the player.

As for Gareth Barry.I dont think we should give up on Alonso just yet,he deserves another season.There is no reason he cant regain his old form next season,he has been showing signs of it lately.He hasnt just lost his class overnight,its still there!I havent seen enough of Barry at left back to comment on how good he is there!

Keep Alonso and sign Bentely please Rafa!

I'm a Kiwi, so I try to see as many of Blackburn's games as possible  - I certainly don't watch every game, but when I can.  Bentley has been playing very well, and often has a similar impact on their performances as Gerrard has on ours - he can be the catalyst who brings a piece of brilliance to break open a game.  I'm not saying he is the same sort of player as Gerrard, I'm saying he has had that sort of impact recently for Rovers.

He can cross, takes good free-kicks, plays with flair, he scores goals - has a good long shot.  What is not to like?

He has played a bit more centrally of late - he started in the middle of the park in a recent game (sorry can't remember which, but I think Capello might have been in the crowd), and I think tends to play a bit more of a free role for Blackburn, drifting in centrally at times, rather than just out wide.  I think this is both instructions - Hughes is wanting to get him as involved as possible as he does have such an influence on the team, and his natural inclination - I think he enjoys the responsiblity of the centre and the greater influence he can have on a game there.  I can't see room for him to play centrally at Liverpool, or at any big club, and I'm honestly not sure how he would feel about that.  But if he wants to play for England, I think his best bet is on the right, so...

I think he would improve our right flank, and bring some needed flair and creativity to the team, and I for one would be very happy to see him in red.

If I had to choose between the two, given our current squad, I think Bentley edges it.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:55 am

I'd be very disappointed if these two guys were our primary targets.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:01 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:I'd be very disappointed if these two guys were our primary targets.

Whats wrong with that?

I mean we need a quality left mid , barry , a quality right winger bentely and now we have a good fullback interested lahm and also i think babel will be moved uptop

Striker - check
Left and right winger - check
Left back - check
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:07 am

Toffeehater wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:I'd be very disappointed if these two guys were our primary targets.

Whats wrong with that?

I mean we need a quality left mid , barry , a quality right winger bentely and now we have a good fullback interested lahm and also i think babel will be moved uptop

Striker - check
Left and right winger - check
Left back - check

We need high scoring attacking players.  Do you actually think that we'll win the league with Barry and Bentley on the wings?  I'd take one of them, but only for the right price.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am

stmichael wrote:All those talking about "wasting" £12 million on Barry must remember if we do sign him its almost certainly because Alonso will be sold and so assuming we'll get around 12-15 million for Alonso in net spend terms hes not eating into our transfer budget at all in fact swapping Alonso for Barry may actually give Rafa an extra £5 million to spend on other players.

I am working on the assumption Alonso is going nowhere, if you want to do a poll of "Alonso vs Barry - who's better?" then be my guest
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:29 am

I'd like to have seen Modric but he's been reported as signing for spudz after giving the barcodes another false hope.

Personally if I could vote, I would go for Bentley and to be fair on the option that is even money ie if both cost £12m. Unless we sell Alonso we don't need Barry, even then I'm not convinced we can spend £12m replacing him. English players are over-priced, however we're more likely to pay a fair price to Blackburn than for Barry. They sold us Bellamy for £6m, a key striker for them, and they sold Duff for a maybe over-inflated price of £17m but he was a top performer and Chelsea have money to burn.

If Alonso does leave that leaves us with Mascherano, Lucas, Plessis, Gerrard and a gap. Paying £12m to fill that gap simply because it is there is stupidity, yes maybe Barry could fill it but why pay a high price simply for a convenient fill. If Rafa can find us Plessis', Lucas', Alonso s and Sissoko s then why pay £12m for an over-rated Englishman?!?!? That's all too 'English fan mentality'. We do need a winger, if we can find better than Bentley then fair enough, but in terms of what we need more and being over-priced (which is much the point of this exercise) then the 'no brainer' is Bentley. More likely to come at a reasonable price, fills what we need as things stand, and for me is the better player.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 am

David Bentley would be an asset to any team mate.

Given the way he has came on over the last couple of years i'd say Arsene Wenger is quietly kicking himself for letting him go.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill