Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Owzat » Sat May 03, 2008 7:20 am

s@int wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:dawson...why sell aurelio? because he's useless IMO. I can't see why people rave about him so highly. Even when he's been fit, people run rings around him.

saint...barry would join Liverpool even if he was told to play in goal. There's more prestige, more money (probably) and more coverage for the lad and the only reason I want Barry at left back, is because our central midfielders as a collective unit are the best in the premiership whereas our left back position is rather average at best. Teams around us have better left backs than ourselves...Evra, Cole, Clichy, Lescott, Barry (if played there) Warnock, Garrido (man city) McCartney (west ham) I'd say only Portsmouth out of the top 10 don't have a left back I'd take ahead of Riise/Aurelio. Herman Hriedasson, isn't for me a great left back, he's a good centre half though.

The thing is though John, if it was a left back we were after, we could get a better left back than Barry for a lot less money. Bridge would only cost about £5/6 million. If you are paying £10million we could get a topclass Leftback rather than someone who "can play there".

Precisely. And the biggest concern I have, other than we don't need Barry we need other players in other positions, is now Rafa has made it clear he wants him we'll be held to ransom. Houllier did this a bit, made it clear he wanted someone (think it was Cisse) and we got rogered.

MON came out and said it was an offer involving a "mish mash" of players, I assume by that he means something like Barry for £3m + Riise, Hobbs, Anderson etc. He should keep it simple, say £4m + Carson, making it too complicated will put the seller off or you'll end up at loggerheads over which players are going in exchange as well as the make-up fee. It's likely to be one big name player and 2 or 3 younger non-first team players. We know villa want Carson, all that would then remain is to agree how much extra Barry would cost.

But I'd rather not shop at villa, let's make a speculative bid of way under £10m with or without players going both ways by all means, but let's not get entangled in a long, drawn out bid. Personally I think Barry will be looking at next season and holding off signing a new contract, if villa don't make leaps and bounds improvements then he'll go into the last year of his contract. We might as well wait and see if he signs a new contract, the figures being mentioned are way too high for someone not far off being able to BUY OUT his contract.

If £10m+ is the fee we might as well pay it when he signs a new contract as when he's a year from being able to buy his contract out. I can't get even remotely close to positive about this move simply because he's not worth the money mentioned, we don't need him and I feel this is getting to be like a bid for a truly great player over a not so great player ie like bidding £30m for Robbie Keane
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat May 03, 2008 7:29 am

s@int wrote:I still believe if we were looking for a left back or even a left midfielder.... there are bigger, better and cheaper out there. We would be getting a CM/DM  player who is versatile and can also fill those roles if necessary.

£12Million seemed to be the price that was banded about for him originally, and I think that a deal will either be struck somewhere around that figure or we will look elsewhere. I certainly don't expect a similar situation to the one with Crouch or Pennant when after negotiations we upped the offers by 50%.

What concerns me more is it seems (reading between the lines) that Barry is our main target for the summer. I was hoping and expecting bigger and better than this as our main targets. If we can get him for a couple of "mish mash " players all well and good, but if it affects our budget for what most seem to agree should be our prime focus -creative wide players and a partner for Torres, I would really rather not bother.

While I don't think we should entirely ignore the players in the Premiership, I think we need to look elsewhere more. The chances are the best players will be at clubs unwilling to sell to us, the best players at a club who are willing to sell to us are likely to want to keep their best players and demand king's ransom. Logical solution - buy either "unknown talents" from small clubs in Europe or gamble on teenagers anywhere, OR buy the younger/best talents from big clubs in Europe who don't worry so much about making killings.

How many players has Rafa signed indirectly from big clubs? That is where a big club like Real Madrid or Barcelona (or Lyon direct) didn't want a player so he moved to a lesser club but remains a player that was good enough to have once been at a European giant. You can get clobbered as the mancs did with Veron and Chelsea with shovepenny, but there are good players available in Serie A and La Liga for the right price.

I like Bridge, best LB at Chelsea as far as I'm concerned. Will Chelsea sell to us I don't know. Barry played LB, I think he was solid, but like with Carragher it may not have been his best role or best use of him. Besides it is stupid to pick a CM/DM on the basis he can play LB, if he's not playing LB at villa it must be because he's best suited to midfield or someone else was better at LB - neither bodes well for signing him for so much only to play him at LB.

And finally, do we want to be spending £10m+ on a player we don't need? We need another striker, that is going to make large dents in any transfer budget and since that, LM, RM, LB and RB are more pressing positions to be filled then why start with bids for a CM/DM come LB?!? Unless..........Rafa has signed another Voronin, the done deal he alluded to recently, and so he's done a bosman to cover a more pressing position.

Had to laugh at the s*n rumour I read yesterday saying we were to sell players to raise funds for player X (can't remember his name) and DEGEN - isn't Degen a freebie?
Last edited by Owzat on Sat May 03, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sat May 03, 2008 11:13 am

s@int wrote:I still believe if we were looking for a left back or even a left midfielder.... there are bigger, better and cheaper out there. We would be getting a CM/DM  player who is versatile and can also fill those roles if necessary.

£12Million seemed to be the price that was banded about for him originally, and I think that a deal will either be struck somewhere around that figure or we will look elsewhere. I certainly don't expect a similar situation to the one with Crouch or Pennant when after negotiations we upped the offers by 50%.

What concerns me more is it seems (reading between the lines) that Barry is our main target for the summer. I was hoping and expecting bigger and better than this as our main targets. If we can get him for a couple of "mish mash " players all well and good, but if it affects our budget for what most seem to agree should be our prime focus -creative wide players and a partner for Torres, I would really rather not bother.

again I agree.

And like bigmick says above, it depends oon where he will play the majority of his games. I have no doubt that if we sign him in his first season he will be asked to play LB, LM and CM to a varying degree. Now if he's being bought for the CM role (and to fill in on the left when neccesary), then that really doesnt put much faith in the £6mil signing of Lucas (or perhaps Xabi will go?). Evan if Plessis isnt ready yet, he's okay for 5th choice surely?  If he is being bought for the left side, then there are far better alternatives.

LB: Lahm, abidal etc
LM: Silva, mancini etc

Whilst they might cost a little more, taking Bigmicks example of the devaluation of players when used in a part-exchange deal. (ie we'd get more for crouch & carson on the open market than we would in a swap deal with barry) it could be possible.

I think, like gerrard, that Barry's versatility could be his downfall, and if he comes, he will be switched between CM, LB, LM and the bench which may cause him to lose form, fluidity or form any regular understanding with team mates because he is being chopped and changed around to suit the team.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 03, 2008 11:54 am

I certainly think it's no coincidence that Plessis has had a couple of outings recently. Smells a bit of Rafa giving himself an insurance policy to me, in case Alonso goes and the Barry deal ends up being a bit of a saga along the lines of Heinze last year.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:01 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I certainly think it's no coincidence that Plessis has had a couple of outings recently. Smells a bit of Rafa giving himself an insurance policy to me, in case Alonso goes and the Barry deal ends up being a bit of a saga along the lines of Heinze last year.

Thats why Rafa has got in early this time i'd say!
There was talk of other teams being interested in Barry as well.Seems Rafa has learnt his lesson after the debacle with Heinze and the last minute bid for Simao not happening!

I'll be happy if we sign Barry but only if we sign a quality right winger,left back and striker as well.Other than that it will be a waste to me,signing a player for a postion we are not really weak while neglecting the positions we lack real quality could be the difference between a title challenge next season or finishing in the ever familiar 4th!

Villa fans have a Barry please Stay banner in the Holt end today!
I understand how they feel to be honest.Like we felt when Gerrard was flirting with Mourinho and Chelsea a while back.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Gillette Soccer Saturday just reported that Gareth Barry looked at MON, smiled evily, then kicked the ball into his own net before running off the pitch yelling "Liverpool....here I come baby!!!!"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat May 03, 2008 4:30 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
puroresu wrote:
RedRoots wrote:
StevieL wrote:Diamond midfield?!?
                         MASCH
        BARRY                          ALONSO
                        GERRARD?!?!?!

How narrow can we play.

No thanks.  No pace in a midfield like that.

Does Barry really improve our side?  His a decent player but not really certain we need him.

Nothing that I've seen of barry makes me think that he will be an asset to our team?.......i think he is another overated player looking for a big team move....its not that hard to stand out in what is really an "average villa" side.I would like to know who is recomending these average players to rafa?......someone is making big bucks out of it thats for sure?.We already have plenty of these type of overated players, please rafa dont add anymore, we need top quality for fukks sake!......stop shopping in netto eh?....and try M+S, Barry does not cut the mustard for me. :no

Barry overrated? He's been Villa's best player and Villa haven't exactly been a push over this season. He's of the standard we need in the respective position. A quality PL LB. He'd be a good buy for us. I'm thinking that because his name isn't slightly more exotic, that you think he isn't good enough. John Barns hardly sounds exotic either.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat May 03, 2008 4:49 pm

maybe the "mish mash" means that we offered them different packages of players + cash, and they could choose whichever package they felt improved their team the best.

And who the F.uck is Martin O :censored:ingniel to call out LFC for "going public" about the transfer. I don't remember reading any quotes from Rafa about "yea we put in a cheeky bid for Barry and have offered some kind of player plus cash deal, he is a player of good quality, no?"  We can now accuse Oniel of causing unrest at the club wondering who has been offered in the deal
JoeTerp

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Anyone who truly believes Barry is a better player than Alonso has no right to breath oxygen.

Kill yourselves.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Sat May 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Just a thought - if Barry is brought in for left mid; might we be seeing Babel upfront with Torres?

If WE can all see that the lad is never , ever a winger surely Rafa can too?

I reckon the two of them would cause many a soiled pair of shorts in the PL defences.

That is if we ever revert to 4-4-2.

A possibility no?  :)
kalos

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Anyone who truly believes Barry is a better player than Alonso has no right to breath oxygen.

Kill yourselves.

Manhattan doesn't breathe oxygen, because he's not human, but is actually a large tree.

But he agrees, Alonso is the best.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 03, 2008 5:09 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Anyone who truly believes Barry is a better player than Alonso has no right to breath oxygen.

Kill yourselves.

Manhattan doesn't breathe oxygen, because he's not human, but is actually a large tree.

But he agrees, Alonso is the best.

:D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Villa lost to Wigan.

Which means Everscum have qualified for getting knocked out of the UEFA Cup next season.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sat May 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Manhattan :D

I think he will be a good signing, if it happens which I think it will. Hes a leader and we need them.

Not sure where he will play, LB would be preferable but as he can cover at LW and CM its value for money as he isnt to shabby in any of those positions.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Sat May 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Kill yourselves.

:D

Not better yes , but barry has been more consistent then alonso and even u lando have to agree with that . If alonso can recover his form permanently which he had in his first season then barry would have to play either at left midfield or left back
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill